• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

A gift to the Dive Gods...

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Instructor.
  • Logged Dives:1963 to present...and me with just ten fingers!!!

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:13 AM

Other than I glove I had caught on a line, I did sacrifice a virgin to the dive gods a few years back. Well she said it was her first time on a dive boat anyway. :cheerleader:

Can't say I ever sacrificed a virgin on a boat, or anywhere else for that matter, but I have tossed the gods of the sea, my lunch, on several occasions. Still, the seas stayed angry, Once, someone threw my package of "Twinkies" over the side as well, (which I hadn't even eaten!), but apparently it was too late. The gods of the sea can be very picky!

I've heard rumors of virgins locally, but here in Texas the best you'll get is a fleeting glimpse, then they are gone! They are very fast!!! (that's why they are still virgins.) They are much sought after, but the smart ones avoid the most common lure, alcohol, in the near presence of males! Really good lures, diamonds, steak, and expensive cars, can be used by the more affluent tracker, but isn't considered sportsmanlike by purists like Scubahawk, whom, it is rumored, uses only live bait.

Ceph :D
"The most dangerous creature you will encounter in any ocean, and the only one truly worth worrying about, is yourself!" H. E. Potter, General Public Nuisance, circa 2005

#17 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:16 AM

Cephlapod

man your going to get me into trouble as im sitting here at work trying not to laugh but i still have to explain why there is Dr. Pepper all over the computer screen.

Thanks i needed that.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#18 NCCaveDiver

NCCaveDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Logged Dives:1,000 plus

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

I've never lost anything on a dive... I did sit on a reel once.

So THAT'S how you broke your reel before even getting to the water (referring to thread over on the Cave Diver's Forum).

#19 Diversitea

Diversitea

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue (did DM training, never finished)
  • Logged Dives:1100- 1200

Posted 02 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

Maybe there are some of those out there who have been so lucky to have never lost a piece of dive equipment - wish I was one of them. But I am not. I have done my fair share of losing items to the Dive Gods. Why just this past weekend my dive buddy and I both delivered our sea snips to the gods. Mine was over a wall and unrecoverable, his was in the shallows of a silty seaweedy bay and just unfindable!

So what have you lost? (add boat dive ladder to the list of mine....argh! :cheerleader: )

What have you done to attempt to recover what you have lost? (search patterns rock!)

What do you think is the most often piece of gear lost? (I have my theories...)

I lost a dive light on my AOW navigation dive in the Denton "Oasis" - with 2' viz it was never recovered, even though I was standing in 3 feet of water when I dropped it! I also had a mask kicked off a boat in Cozumel - a friend's son recovered it weeks later (and I found this out 2 years later in Curacao!) Loaned someone a BC and skin once - never got them back, either!
Janine
Diversitea

Try Diversitea FREE by Clicking here - use Coupon code SINGLE during checkout!

Premier Members have special discounts in the Diversitea Online Store! Click HERE for the coupon code!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

#20 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:04 PM

Lost a mask on a shore dive in Hawaii.
Lost a snorkel in Haigh Quarry.
Lost a fin countless times while giant striding in - always recovered.
Lost a video reflector for my HID on the Duane, did a S/R dive the two days later and recovered.
"I aim to misbehave...."

#21 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:12 PM

It wasn't mine, but a few weeks ago, someone lost a VR3 on a dive. That's about a $1,000 dive. :cheerleader:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#22 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:35 AM

I don't think I want to ask about your primary tie-off from that point.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:28 AM

I don't think I want to ask about your primary tie-off from that point.

:welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#24 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:30 PM

I've lost part of a dive flag, a knife, and a Dee Rag. I once saw a guy's pony tail sacrificed in order to give us good diving weather. It worked.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#25 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 04 October 2006 - 02:18 PM

Well there was that gift of the dive light I left them when diving with Dive_Girl. Or course, it was a good choice for a sacrifice since it was my dad's! :D

#26 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:41 AM

My dive god sacrifice was my prescription eyeglasses on the Turks and Caicos Aggressor.
Had them on my face when I was trying to put on my mask at the swim step. Handed them to the boat Captain who was helping getting everyone into the water for safekeeping. About 30 minutes later I see him in the water under the back of the boat looking for something. After many gestures, I figure that he is looking for glasses. Hmmmm.... mine! :D Dive gods were satisfied as they did not give them up despite two dives looking for them. Had to wear prescription sunglasses driving home at night from the airport!

Other minor gift to the seagods include: one dive glove

On the other hand I did once find a gold chain necklace in Saba :huh:

#27 lonnie

lonnie

Getting started

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cert Level:instructor
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:30 AM

Maybe there are some of those out there who have been so lucky to have never lost a piece of dive equipment - wish I was one of them. But I am not. I have done my fair share of losing items to the Dive Gods. Why just this past weekend my dive buddy and I both delivered our sea snips to the gods. Mine was over a wall and unrecoverable, his was in the shallows of a silty seaweedy bay and just unfindable!

So what have you lost? (add boat dive ladder to the list of mine....argh! :D )

What have you done to attempt to recover what you have lost? (search patterns rock!)

What do you think is the most often piece of gear lost? (I have my theories...)

Lost a mask at dutch springs.
one long blade fin over a very deep wall getting back on the boat in turks &caicos after a night dive.
So I bought a new pair and lost another long blade fin getting back on the boat in Truk after a night dive.
Damn divemasters can't hold onto those longblades.

#28 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:10 PM

I have sacrificed my share of snorkels to the Dive Gods so they will leave my dive computer alone :banghead:

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#29 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:36 PM

I lost a really cool and new dive light. I have found more stuff than I have lost.

I once lost a fin to the beach god. It disappeared somewhere in the 60' between the trunk of the car and the dock.

I have attempted to feed a cell phone to the water god (entire clothes wash cycle) still worked

#30 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:32 PM

One of my students offered up his wallet this past weekend. It was recovered but I don't think a single girl's telephone number was legible... :welcome:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users