• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Ascent Line Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:40 PM

So, I'm diving the Jay Scutti on Sunday. Light current at 70', surface swells 4-6, and a boatful of what appear to be student divers. I begin my ascent on the mooring line and notice a bunch of divers clumped up and kicking at about 30' I look behind and see some edgy looking divers hanging on the line for grim death and gaining on me quickly. The situation is getting a little claustrophobic for me, and I figure they are nervous because there is a "strange" diver between them the rest of their group, so I let go of the line and move down a few feet to get behind them, where I encountered a really agitated woman who won't let me back on the line, even though there is about five feet of clear space. Again, I figure nervous new diver and move away from the line and ascend for my safety stop away from the line completely to avoid the whole situation. Even though I was spotting the tag line from below, I ended up aft of the line swimming against the current the "group" dive leader had rounded up all of his divers and was swimming in with the tag line and the DM.

So, my question, what is proper hang line behavior?

#2 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 25 September 2006 - 09:49 PM

I's say hope for common sense but it isn't always so common.Maybe a point to bring up at the site briefing when diving in an area or with people you don't know.

#3 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 10:32 PM

Take out your spool, wrap the line, play out 10ft, and hang from there.

#4 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:15 PM

I don't carry a spool, do you, Theresa??
"

#5 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:58 PM

Well, I Have a spool, but the only time I carry it is with a flag, but that sounds like a good idea. I've replayed the situation and don't think I would have done things differently since I was comfortable doing my safety stop off the line, trouble started when I took my eye off the tag line and veered off course, I guess.
Did I mention that after all was said and done these were not new divers, but already certified aow?

#6 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:16 AM

Hey, well there you go! A chance to try something new you read on the Intarweb!

#7 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:34 AM

Student divers probably wouldn't see the spool line, get tangled and more nervous. I use a nylon ribbon for a Jon line, hook it on the assent line and then drift back ten feet, that also gets rid of the up and down jerk when surface conditions are rough. :)
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#8 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:46 AM

Just getcha one of these...

Posted Image

And you're golden.

Edited by PerroneFord, 26 September 2006 - 05:47 AM.

#9 netmage

netmage

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:04 AM

Mrs. Manners would say proper etiquette entails everyone accepting the fact that all divers should be doing some sort of safety stop around 15' for 3-5 mins on a dive of any significant depth and providing room for a handhold to the line should room exist.

I personally hate the 3 car pile-up that tends to happen when you get to any of the larger dive boats. For that reason I tend to splash first and be the last out of the water. I'm never short on air, and usually start my stops lower, I tend to use 10'/min ascent rate between stops.

Sunday, a buddy and I did a deco dive on the Captain Dan, we get up to 20' for our 12 min hang and there is a moderate current going. Stiff, but definately not flag in the wind scenerio. He pulls out this jon line and clips to the scootering d-ring and attaches to line and drifts back for the ride. I might hafta get me one of those. (Rec divers were doing double drops - so we couldn't do drift deco)

A months or so ago I was in the Keys and did a double drop on the Grove. My computer apparently didn't like my SI and decided after 24 mins on the wreck I had 22 mins of deco, so I high tailed it up, and used a spool like Perrone mentioned, just tied it around the line and drifted back 20' or so to give everyone room, cuz I knew I was going to be around for a while...

-Tim

Edited by netmage, 26 September 2006 - 07:05 AM.

"I aim to misbehave...."

#10 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:17 AM

Mrs. Manners would say proper etiquette entails everyone accepting the fact that all divers should be doing some sort of safety stop around 15' for 3-5 mins on a dive of any significant depth and providing room for a handhold to the line should room exist.

I personally hate the 3 car pile-up that tends to happen when you get to any of the larger dive boats. For that reason I tend to splash first and be the last out of the water. I'm never short on air, and usually start my stops lower, I tend to use 10'/min ascent rate between stops.

Sunday, a buddy and I did a deco dive on the Captain Dan, we get up to 20' for our 12 min hang and there is a moderate current going. Stiff, but definately not flag in the wind scenerio. He pulls out this jon line and clips to the scootering d-ring and attaches to line and drifts back for the ride. I might hafta get me one of those. (Rec divers were doing double drops - so we couldn't do drift deco)

A months or so ago I was in the Keys and did a double drop on the Grove. My computer apparently didn't like my SI and decided after 24 mins on the wreck I had 22 mins of deco, so I high tailed it up, and used a spool like Perrone mentioned, just tied it around the line and drifted back 20' or so to give everyone room, cuz I knew I was going to be around for a while...

-Tim

Thanks everyone, great tip about tying off to the line, one I'll definetely remember next time!

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:47 AM

Next time I'm in your area, I'll leave you a buddy line. They are easily used as jon lines and I always keep one in my BC pocket.

If someone doesn't like having you on the ascent line, that's their problem, not yours. Don't put yourself in danger because someone's in a pissy mood.

Edited by Walter, 26 September 2006 - 07:47 AM.

No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:09 AM

If someone doesn't like having you on the ascent line, that's their problem, not yours. Don't put yourself in danger because someone's in a pissy mood.

This is what the knife is for. ;)
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#13 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:15 AM

Thinking back, they may have been reacting to seeing the other divers bobbing around above them as a result of the swell, I sure didn't feel it where I was, and of course, once off the line, didn't feel it at all. Since I never got far enough up the ascent line, I forgot about the pull of the swell. Looked up the rigging for jon lines and it seems kind of complicated. I like Walter's idea, simple line with loops at each end.

As for someone not liking me on the line, well, if it had been a strong current, or other conditions warranted, I would have stood my ground, but the way that woman was looking at me, well, I felt safer getting away from her.

#14 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:21 AM

Looked up the rigging for jon lines and it seems kind of complicated. I like Walter's idea, simple line with loops at each end.

Spool deployment:

Unwind 1ft of line. This is a loop. pull spool line behind ascent line, put body of spool through loop, pull tight.

Done.

Takes about 5 seconds. I don't know about teh whole jon line thing.

#15 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:41 AM

Naw, just pull the mask out about 6 inches and let go. Works wonders.

Looked up the rigging for jon lines and it seems kind of complicated. I like Walter's idea, simple line with loops at each end.

Jon lines are even easier, but they are more limited in uses. Buddy lines can be used as buddy lines, jon lines, rescues..........

Spool deployment:

Unwind 1ft of line. This is a loop. pull spool line behind ascent line, put body of spool through loop, pull tight.

Done.

Takes about 5 seconds. I don't know about teh whole jon line thing.

Buddy line is similar, through the loop around the ascent line. A true jon line merely hooks onto the ascent line.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users