• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Ascent Line Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#16 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:55 AM

One thing about Great Lakes diving is that even on the wrecks that are in high current, we just don't seem to run into these issues. The highest current that I dive up here is in the Straits of Mackinaw and while it does get "flagpole" strength, the typical dive boat doesn't carry more than about 12 divers up here. That leads to less crowding on the ascent lines as well as other benefits of smaller groups.

I had one of Walter's buddy lines, but it didn't survive my Labrador's terrible teeth (or would that be "terrible twos"). Now, it wouldn't tuck inside my rig very well as the only sort of pocket that I have is the pocket on the hip of my drysuit. My harness has no storage for things that don't clip on/off. I do carry a spool and on many occassions I clip on a wreck reel. I nearly used the spool in NC for that purpose, but the current was quite that bad that day so I simply swam against the current a bit.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#17 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:37 PM

We were all new once, so I try my best to be patient and considerate of any divers I encounter atop or below.

There is no requirement for number of dives before taking an AOW class, so just because those divers were AOW that doesn't mean they've much experience.

No spool? How would you shoot an SMB? I've not done a lot of ocean diving, but both of the boats I went out on this summer required a spool or reel and an SMB. I can't imagine diving in the ocean without one.

The aggitated lady on the line might have relaxed a little with an OK question from you. If nothing else, she might have realized that you were concerned for her and were not a threat.

On the Flower Gardens trip I found the mooring and sideline to be too crowded and felt I was at the mercy of the poor bouyancy of many divers. I could feel myself being pulled up faster than I knew was safe, so I let go. The current was very mild. The boat had downline at the rear - one 40ft and one 20ft in length. I found it more comfortable to fin over to the 40ft line and slowly move up to 20ft, then swim to the 20ft line and do my safety there before swimming out to the back of the boat to the ladder lines. The newer divers tended to stick with the mooring / sideline route.

Diving the Channel Islands we had a class in progress on the boat. The line was a mess on the descent, but like someone said earlier, it was a lot easier getting in first and out close to last. The newer divers sucked their air down in minutes so our paths really didn't cross much after the first dive. I was more concerned with the boat's cook who was spear fishing where we were diving. Lucky for me I was inverted and my BC was loose - the tip of her spear went between my shoulder and my BC strap when we collided while I was descending down a wall to join my buddy.

While it's easier to be frustrated with the lack of etiquette, I think it's more important to be patient and understanding while we all learn. A little of that goes a long way.

#18 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 06:54 PM

Just getcha one of these...

Posted Image

And you're golden.

No thanks - don't see the need. And Twinklez, I don't even know what an SMB is, and I've never been on a boat in 14 years and two oceans that required one or a spool
"

#19 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:11 PM

;) I thought spools were used for cave diving or very poor vis......I have dove from the Red Sea to now East Timor.....I have never seen anyone except Kamala in Cozumel who had one on her BC.
You must endeavor to pursue!

#20 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

Tech Diving Limited (http://www.techdivinglimited.com) sells spools and they occasionally have great sales.

I carry two...one attached to my SMB (sausage type) clipped off in my pocket and a spare 150' clipped off in my pocket for my lift bag.

#21 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:14 PM

We were all new once, so I try my best to be patient and considerate of any divers I encounter atop or below.

There is no requirement for number of dives before taking an AOW class, so just because those divers were AOW that doesn't mean they've much experience.

No spool? How would you shoot an SMB? I've not done a lot of ocean diving, but both of the boats I went out on this summer required a spool or reel and an SMB. I can't imagine diving in the ocean without one.

The aggitated lady on the line might have relaxed a little with an OK question from you. If nothing else, she might have realized that you were concerned for her and were not a threat.

On the Flower Gardens trip I found the mooring and sideline to be too crowded and felt I was at the mercy of the poor bouyancy of many divers. I could feel myself being pulled up faster than I knew was safe, so I let go. The current was very mild. The boat had downline at the rear - one 40ft and one 20ft in length. I found it more comfortable to fin over to the 40ft line and slowly move up to 20ft, then swim to the 20ft line and do my safety there before swimming out to the back of the boat to the ladder lines. The newer divers tended to stick with the mooring / sideline route.

Diving the Channel Islands we had a class in progress on the boat. The line was a mess on the descent, but like someone said earlier, it was a lot easier getting in first and out close to last. The newer divers sucked their air down in minutes so our paths really didn't cross much after the first dive. I was more concerned with the boat's cook who was spear fishing where we were diving. Lucky for me I was inverted and my BC was loose - the tip of her spear went between my shoulder and my BC strap when we collided while I was descending down a wall to join my buddy.

While it's easier to be frustrated with the lack of etiquette, I think it's more important to be patient and understanding while we all learn. A little of that goes a long way.

Well, I certainly felt like the epitome of patience when I left the up line rather than further agitate the situation. And until I heard otherwise topside, I assumed they were new divers. Other than assume the zen position and give the Namiste bow to them, not sure how much more patience I could have demonstrated.

Inquiring about it on the board, if that is a lack of patience, certainly brought out some very good suggestions from Walter and Perrone. AS for the SMB, if you mean a safety signal, I have just floated it by hand. Of course, now that I think of it, if I have to surface without a flag, then floating it by hand won't give surrounding boaters enough notice to avoid me. So, there's another use for Walter's buddy line! Live and learn... and vice versa.

Edited by Boatlawyer, 26 September 2006 - 07:52 PM.

#22 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:50 PM

No thanks - don't see the need. And Twinklez, I don't even know what an SMB is, and I've never been on a boat in 14 years and two oceans that required one or a spool

Hmmm,

A PADI Divemaster that doesn't know what an SMB is, and cannot see any need for such a device.

MMMmmmmmkay.

Edited by PerroneFord, 26 September 2006 - 07:55 PM.

#23 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 07:55 PM

:) I thought spools were used for cave diving or very poor vis......I have dove from the Red Sea to now East Timor.....I have never seen anyone except Kamala in Cozumel who had one on her BC.

Spools are used for cave diving. To make jumps and gaps. They are used in low-viz conditions of all kinds. They can be used as jon lines, they can be used in a pinch as a buddy line. They are used to shoot a liftbag or SMB. They can be tied to an upline to allow you to swim around a wreck. They can be tied off to a fixed spot to initiate a circular pattern search. They can be used for wreck penetration in certain scenarios.

For a $30 investment, they sure can do a lot. At least for those who are open-minded enough to try them out.

#24 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:10 PM

At least for those who are open-minded enough to try them out.

Open minded as in the recent poll answer: "I don't know what it is, and I don't care to find out about it?" You mean that kind of open minded? :)
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#25 nurseshark

nurseshark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:11 PM

I have encountered this behavior, unfortunately, on more than one occasion. :)

After finding myself kicked, shoved and knocked off of lines by rude, and unruley divers, I finally invested in a jon line..it was the best investment yet. Although I dont know what Walters' buddy line is , and am curious t find out, the Jon line has worked well for me. With the jon line , I use it in heavy currents and in line "clusters" to put space between me and the unruley ones... It fits in my BC pocket and I can easliy clip it in place quickly. I have also used it in heavy currents to hang from the line , it was very useful in the Flower Gradens for this reason. I also have a spool which I have clipped to my bc for my lift bag, but havent used it for any other reason at this point.

Hope this helps!

Karen

#26 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:13 PM

Open minded as in the recent poll answer: "I don't know what it is, and I don't care to find out about it?" You mean that kind of open minded? :)

I don't know what's worse, not having or wanting one, or, being like me, actually owning one of the darn things, but trying to dispense with the "chuck wagon" profile. After poor Grayfins got tangled up in mine while toting the dive flag one day, I've been skeered to use it!

#27 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world
  • Logged Dives:well over 500, the dives get numbers and ratings now

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:14 PM

I have taken the jon line another step.
Attached brass snaps and made loops.at both ends.
I can then use the line on buddies, gear, lift bags, hang lines, and or cameras.
I also have webbing run thru my back pack, that goes around my chest, with a big brass ring, that sets in the middle of my chest.
I can then clip my jon line to it and I have hands free while hanging.
It all fits in a 1 pound weight pocket that is zip tied to my bcd.
If there is a current there is less or no stress on your arm or shoulder socket.
Yee Olde Row Tater Cuff ain't what it use to be.
You can finially fly like Superman if you wish.

I'll be using it on the NC trip coming up.

norm

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Defender of Dumb Animals, & Damsels in Distress,

Licensed  Fool.

#28 Boatlawyer

Boatlawyer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

I have encountered this behavior, unfortunately, on more than one occasion. :)

After finding myself kicked, shoved and knocked off of lines by rude, and unruley divers, I finally invested in a jon line..it was the best investment yet. Although I dont know what Walters' buddy line is , and am curious t find out, the Jon line has worked well for me. With the jon line , I use it in heavy currents and in line "clusters" to put space between me and the unruley ones... It fits in my BC pocket and I can easliy clip it in place quickly. I have also used it in heavy currents to hang from the line , it was very useful in the Flower Gradens for this reason. I also have a spool which I have clipped to my bc for my lift bag, but havent used it for any other reason at this point.

Hope this helps!

Karen

Thanks Karen, I like the jon/buddy line idea because it fits in your bc pocket and it's one less thing to get hung up on the dive ladder, tangled or otherwise handicap me in rough conditions. I like Ray's point about the web, which I understand jon lines are made of versus a piece of line, because it's more visible to the ascending divers

#29 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:17 PM

I don't know what's worse, not having or wanting one, or, being like me, actually owning one of the darn things, but trying to dispense with the "chuck wagon" profile. After poor Grayfins got tangled up in mine while toting the dive flag one day, I've been skeered to use it!

Come do some practice dives with us. We often shoot bags and to other skills to keep ourselves at the ready.

I am looking at Saturday afternoon. I would like to do some nice, easy drift diving such as in Boynton Beach. I can be sold on other activities. However, that was my thought at this point.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#30 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 08:18 PM

Yea that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users