• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Road Trip Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:37 PM

I'll second the Benwood Wreck and French Reef (my favorite dive of the bunch I did down there). The 'Christ of The Abyss' statue is OK for a photo op, but there wasn't much around it. I'd rather have seen the Buddah statue :cool1: a little farther south, but Aquanuts didn't want to go that far.

My mistake on Tavernier; I stayed on KL, and went by recommendations from other folks afterwards. I *thought* the dive shop the'd recommended was on a separate Key from the driving I'd done after the diving was done (long trip down the Keys and back). It's hard to tell when you cross over water whether you're on a new Key or just passing a waterway....

I have a large number of the upper Keys dive sites located in Lat/Lon format if you're a GIS freak. I don't have 'em here (not needed on this trip) but I can e-mail 'em later if you'd like a CSV file. I had 'em all marked on my Palm Pilot while I was down there, linked in with my Garmin so I could find my way around. I've since upgraded to the Garmin 3600 PDA for some trips where it's useful (mostly US and Canada). On my Channel Islands trip I had the marine charts for the area loaded along with the dive sites. The boat driver had a similar EXPEN$IVE system on the boat to show 'em where they were. He didn't know you could do it with a Palm-compatible PDA. With the charts, I think his system cost over $5K.

#17 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:42 AM

I will make two small suggestions/recommendations.

When diving, especially Pennekamp, hook up with dive operators on the ocean side of the keys. We stayed for a few days at a dive resort on the bay side... nice as it was, we wasted 1-2 hours a day riding the dive boat around the key, thru the little canal, thru the mangrove swamp, and then out to the the sites.

When driving down to the keys, just south of Homestead, take Card Sound Road to Key Largo... just before the toll bridge is Alabama Jacks. A funky, road/waterside eatery. Live music most of the time and tasy conch fritters! Sit on the water side and watch the boats go by.

Have a great trip!
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#18 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:44 AM

For a serious bar, cheap food, shuffleboard table - stop in to Smuggler's Cove in Islamorada - mm 85.5 - just over a bridge, then a u-turn right back to the bar. Outdoor seating for the non-smokers.

Down the road at MM 85 is Ocean Quest divers, they've moved in with Coconut Grove resort on the ocean side - I've used them, I personally like the "Dive Goddess" and "Tank boy John" - and they've always run a safe op. 1-800-356-8798

They run trips to the Eagle, which I think is one of the premier wrecks, well grown with coral, lots of life, used to be a Bull Shark hanging around, but I heard someone killed her.

For top of the line dive op, right down the road is "Key Dives" at mm 79.5 on the ocean side - run by a couple of great folks who moved back from BVI - Mike & Marcia. This is where they haul your gear to the boat, take you on a guided tour, break down your gear etc. Way too touchy-feely for the hard core "I'm tough, I don't need help, don't touch my gear!" school of diving - but luxurious and only a few dollars more. They also go to the Eagle, and since it's so early in your experience, you might appreciate a knowledgeable DM to guide you. 800 344-7352

Edited by Capn Jack, 09 October 2006 - 07:46 AM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#19 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:06 AM

I posted the following on the *big* board a few days ago and didn't get a single response. :D Hopefully, I'll fare better here at home. :)

My dive buddy and I will be road tripping through southern Florida (including the Keys) for a week starting the end of October.

As neither of us have been to the region before, I'm looking for some off-the-beaten-track suggestions not found in travel guides. Anything from *where to dive* and *what to see* to *where to eat* and *where to shop* would be most appreciated! (I like quiet, quirky, funky and affordable.)

Thank you for your thoughts.

Any suggestions? Feel free to PM as well.

While I was living down in the WPB area, one of my favorite sites to shore dive was the Blue Heron Bridge in Phil Foster Park, Riviera Beach. You have to dive it at high tide, as it's only 15ft deep at high tide, but it's a nice (and cheap) dive with a short swim and an abundance of marine life. I always saw something different when I dived there, rays, cudas, angel fish, a hermit crab the size of a football, even a baby moray one time.

Blue Heron Bridge, Riviera Beach

Edited by Brinybay, 09 October 2006 - 04:50 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#20 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:46 PM

Thank you for the ongoing suggestions, everyone!

Theresa, I love your nature suggestions but I don't think I'll have time on this trip. Plus the 5AM start time... :D

CaptSaaz, I like the sound of that Alamba Jacks. :D

Brinybay, Cheap is good. :) Thx for the Blue Heron Bridge suggestion!

Of course, I have to see what the dive buddy says about all this... :D

#21 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 09 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

I'm down in Florida now in Deerfield Beach...it's great, we have a 15 or so minute boat ride out to 160+ feet and the boat isn't too crowded. And everyone is squared away. I may have to opt out of more NC trips and dive down here more!

#22 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:45 PM

In Pompano I primarally dive w/ Lady Go Diver & Parrot Island. SFDHQ occasionally.

In Key Largo I go w/ Conch Republic, Blue Water Divers, & Scuba Do.

Let me know what weekends your where and I'll see if I can make the trip...
"I aim to misbehave...."

#23 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:22 PM

I'll add another vote for Conch Republic. I have been using them for almost 10 years for OW certification trips (dating back to when Tommy and Cynthia ran the shop), and they are great. Brenda and Gary Mace are very accommodating folks, and will bend over backwards to see that you have a great trip. FYI, my avatar picture was taken on their boat (the Republic VII) on a trip last year.

As an aside, I also prefer the diving around Tavernier. You have access to the south end of Pennekamp (including the Duane and Bibb), plus all the great dive sites around Islamorada. My personal favorites are Snapper Ledge (shallow site with lots of fish) and Conch Wall. The wreck of the Eagle is also a great dive.

Edited by JimG, 09 October 2006 - 04:24 PM.

Will DIR for food!

#24 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

Thank you for the ongoing suggestions, everyone!

Brinybay, Cheap is good. :D Thx for the Blue Heron Bridge suggestion!

Of course, I have to see what the dive buddy says about all this... :)

In that case, try the beach side bar at the Clarion Hotel in Lauderdale by the Sea. When I was there, on certain nights of the week they had $1 beers and $1 burgers, not sure if they still do. I also fixed that link to Blue Heron Bridge.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#25 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 11 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

And while you're in Key West, get yourself a Conch Republic flag. There's a whole story behind it.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#26 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 11 October 2006 - 07:48 PM

For top of the line dive op, right down the road is "Key Dives" at mm 79.5 on the ocean side - run by a couple of great folks who moved back from BVI - Mike & Marcia. This is where they haul your gear to the boat, take you on a guided tour, break down your gear etc. Way too touchy-feely for the hard core "I'm tough, I don't need help, don't touch my gear!" school of diving - but luxurious and only a few dollars more. They also go to the Eagle, and since it's so early in your experience, you might appreciate a knowledgeable DM to guide you. 800 344-7352

I dove with Mike and Marcia several times over a couple of years. They've really learned the dive sites well, and are a good dive operation (despite my preference for Holiday Isle). I agree with you that it was a bit unnerving at first, when they set up my gear, but I still enjoyed the dives immensely. In fact, I'd probably recommend them first for a novice diver.

Rick
:)

#27 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:30 PM

Well, I just finished googling the dive ops that were recommended, and I must ask... where are the 6 packs?? :) Of the websites that published boat information, only two had *small* boats -- Sunstar Aquatic's "Diversity" (15 divers) and South Florida Diving HQ's "Safari Diver" (12 divers). The rest accommodated 20+ divers.

Generally, how full are dive boats during either the week or wknd at the end of October and beginning of November? Are the afternoons less or more busy than the mornings?

#28 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:55 AM

Boats other than six packs are unlikely to be filled.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#29 netmage

netmage

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:35 AM

Boats other than six packs are unlikely to be filled.

This is probably the best list of boats in the area... there are a few 6 packs. With the diving 'market' around here - its more cost effective for alot of operations to simply use a bigger boat. Their minimum # of divers to make a trip is around 6, whereas on a 6-pack - they might need 4 to run....

http://www.fillexpress.com/boats.shtml

Also allot of 6-packs don't have a DM - not a huge issue if your doing 2 drift dives, but when there is a wreck - we don't have permanent moorings, so you either drop a hook or send a DM down.
"I aim to misbehave...."

#30 netmage

netmage

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

Generally, how full are dive boats during either the week or wknd at the end of October and beginning of November? Are the afternoons less or more busy than the mornings?

During that time of year - with 3-4 days notice you should be able to get 1-2 folks on any boat. since your looking at a group of 6 or so - I'd call at least a week in advance. Most boats will let you cancel 24+ hours in advance if a person has to drop out at the last minute.

Since the heatwave is past - I'd expect the massive summer crowds to be gone, this is when its the best, lots of room on the boat, lobster season, etc.
"I aim to misbehave...."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users