• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

A Simple Prayer

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Neptuner

Neptuner

I spend too much time on line

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:47 AM

Hi Gang,

I know I'm not around quite as frequently as in the past, but in some small way I'm trying to spread a little sunshine into this sometimes dark world, through the only venue I know well... music. In challenging times like this, however, it is always nice to come back and speak with friends, if for no other reason than the simple fact that they listen intently, with warm hearts and an eager embrace.

It is with heavy heart that I call upon you today, not for reason or logic, but for the simple gift of your thoughts and prayers. Regardless of your religion or political beliefs, we are all human and we all must endure similar hardships within our lives. Often, it is comforting just to know that others have truly survived... and eventually even fluorished after such pain and anguish. So... I tell you this story not out of a desire for sensationalism or hype, but so that it may remind all of us that this a real part of the world we live in... and we can all strive to make it a little better each and every day.

Yesterday evening, my youngest daughter Tiffany was chattering excitedly on the phone with her mother-in-law in California, as they set about planning a huge welcome home celebration for Tiffany's husband Norman, who is stationed here in Colorado Springs, CO. My son-in-law had less than two weeks left in Iraq before he would return to the States and they could truly begin their married life together. Tiffany hung up the phone as she parked her car and walked into her apartment. The silent group of solemn faces and full dressed uniforms that met her as she entered the door told a horrific story, without a word spoken. Norman was killed in action yesterday. It was his last mission before leaving the war zone.

I've been a father of 3 for almost 21 years now and I've dealt with a lot of lifes ups and downs... but even I am at a loss of words. How do you tell a 19 year old girl that she has to simply start over? I know there are no real answers to such things... so I would simply ask that you keep Tiffany, Norman's family and all the other families who have lost loved ones in your prayers and thoughts. These men and women are there because they are told to be, not necessarily because they choose to be.

Maybe this can also serve to remind us of just how fragile life is. None of us knows the number of moments we will spend on this Earth... but we often have a choice in how we spend them. Thanks to all of you for being a special part of my life.

Michael

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#2 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:52 AM

Oh Michael - I am so sorry for your family's loss and my heart goes out to your daughter! I can only imagine the pain and sorrow you're all feeling....

Please know that my thoughts and heartfelt condolences are going out to you and your family at such a difficult time.
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#3 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:54 AM

Michael...

words cannot convey the depth of emotion I am feeling at this very moment...

I am deeply saddened by the loss of your son-in-law... and the terrible grief your daughter is suffering at this very moment.

Please accept my deepest sympathies and extend my condolences to your daughter and to your son-in-law's parents and family.

If there is anything, anything at all you or they need, and is something I or any of SD's staff can help with, please do not hesitate to contact us...

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#4 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:13 PM

Michael,

I am simply at a loss for words. I have heard so many wonderful things about your children and those in their lives. I have nothing but heart felt sympathy and pain for you and your daughter right now. As your friend, I feel so helpless in all that I can do if offer these few words but remain helpless to give you or your loved ones any further assistance to help you through these terrible times. My love to you all.

Michelle

#5 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:39 PM

This is sad beyond words. Please know that you, your family, your daughter and her husband's family are in my thoughts.

I have always been supportive of the brave men and woman who are there to do what they saw as their duty. I feel those who served have shown both bravery and great honor. It is little consolation to the lives of those they have left behind, but they did not die in vain. They died nobly.

May your daughter find the strength to weather this very sad time in her young life. I'm sure that with your help, and that of the rest of the two families, she will despite the pain. May she always remember his love, his bravery and his honor... even as she finds the strength to move "beyond" the sad fact of his loss.

#6 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

Michael,

My heart is aching for your family. My throat closes up when I imagine the unbearable loss Tiffany must be feeling right now, and I pray that I will never know the kind of grief his parents, your daughter, yourself, and everyone who loves him must be feeling. To lose someone you love is always difficult, but to lose someone at such a young age, under such circumstances is unimaginable.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone who loved Norman.
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#7 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

Michael - I am very sorry for your daughter's and your loss - My thoughts are with you.
Known puker

#8 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

Michael

my sincerest condolences to your daughter, and she will be in my thoughts & prayers.

It really hurts when i here news like this as it just hits way to close to home, and makes me wonder why.

no words can truly be said to comfort anyone at a time like this but this seemed fitting, even though it is over a 100 years old.

Dear Madam
I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

Abraham Lincoln

Edited by Scubatooth, 18 October 2006 - 01:18 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:20 PM

Michael,

My heart is aching for your family. My throat closes up when I imagine the unbearable loss Tiffany must be feeling right now, and I pray that I will never know the kind of grief his parents, your daughter, yourself, and everyone who loves him must be feeling. To lose someone you love is always difficult, but to lose someone at such a young age, under such circumstances is unimaginable.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone who loved Norman.

I had been struggling with what to say Micheal, but Beach Bunny's words better expressed my feelings than I could. My thoughts and prayers will be with your family and norman's during this horrific and sorrowful time.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,702 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 October 2006 - 02:28 PM

Michael,

You know my deepest feelings and support of you and your family in this sad time. The tears are welling back up as I type this. Thank you for calling me and thank you for allowing our family to reach out to you so that they can support you now during this tremendous loss.

If there is anything we can do please let us know.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is just to say "I care". Many are afraid to reach out as they don't know what to say. Simply saying "I care" means the world to the griefing ones.

You, your daughter and your son-in-law's family are in my prayers and will be until the pain finally subsides and life finally continues.

Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

Michael,

What a sad day this is, to know you and your family feel such pain. I learned when my Mom passed that I should always tell the people I love that I do, in fact, love them with my heart and soul. I tell my best friend this everytime we talk. And, it's a reminder that we should never sleep on our anger.

One never knows when our time is up, so live your life with joy and love. Since she is your daughter, I would imagine he knew great love in his life.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your extended family and if there is anything we can do, let us know.

Kim

#12 nurseshark

nurseshark

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

Michael,

I want to send you my deepest sympathy and to let know you are in my prayers.

We have never met , but this touches home with me. I have a daughter in the navy and a son in law over seas and this news brings the reality of war home and makes it all too real and sobering. If your daughter can learn with time that he did not die in vain , but bravely and with honor and dignity, then maybe it will at some point make sense to her.

This war is taking its toll on our young adults ,but they are making us all very proud.

I will pray for comfort for your daughter and family

Karen

Edited by nurseshark, 18 October 2006 - 04:51 PM.

#13 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:05 PM

Michael,

Everyone else has said it as well as I can. You and your family are in my prayers.

Rick
:o

#14 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:09 PM

What terrible heartbreak for your daughter and everyone in your family. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#15 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

May she always remember his love, his bravery and his honor

Michael if I could have one wish for your daughter at this moment it would be that one phrase above that DrBill shared. I believe with all my heart that if she can do that...if she can remember always his love, bravery and honor, then those things will replace her anguish and help to heal her heart.

As a parent, I've helped all three of my sons through some difficult situations. Often they're reluctant to say they need help, they clam up and think that they should suffer life's troubles on their own. The hardest challenge for me has been to get them to share what's in their hearts when they're hurting. I would imagine you may experience some of the same things as you try to help your daughter to bear this enormous pain and to begin healing. So for you Michael, I ask the stars above that you heart overflows with love and understanding; and that your shoulders are broad and strong at this time.

Thank you for trusting us enough to share your pain that we may give some comfort to a friend.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users