• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Knowledge obsolescence or just not useful....

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:10 AM

So in another thread I noticed several people mentioning diving techniques or protocols that they were taught that they have discarded along the way. One example was turning a tank on and doing a quarter turn backwards because tanks could freeze in the full on position. While turning back a crack according to Walter will prevent this, many keep the practice of a full quarter turn and continue to teach it even though the practice is not actually accurate.

Without passing judgement on any instructor, agency or style of teaching, please share with us other examples of things you've been taught that you no longer do or are not applicable or accurate. This can be diving related or otherwise. It might be fun to see how many outdated or useless or marginally useful things we are taught and then if we choose to discard them ourselves and how and when.

And if you know the history behind why we USED to do them that would be even more interesting!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:37 AM

I no longer carry a snorkel. They just get in the way and are an entanglement hazard. I would consider carrying one that rolls up well in my pocket, but I don't have much more room left there. So, I have decided to go without.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#3 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:01 AM

OK, here is a skill that has always bothered me - regulator recovery.

We teach students that if the reg is accidentally dislodged from their mouth, then they are supposed to go on some kind of "fishing expedition" to try and find it. This "skill" dates from the early days of single hose regulators, when there was only one second stage, and that was the only way to retrieve it.

In modern SCUBA, everyone should be diving with a backup second stage. Why then do we not teach students to grab their backup second stage first so that they have air, and then start looking for their primary? To my way of thinking, this would reinforce proper selection and placement of the backup second stage ("safety triangle", etc), so that it is properly secured and easily accessible at all times.

I'll even go a step further and state that I believe that we are teaching this skill totally wrong, and have been for years. Regulator recovery is fundamentally an OOA scenario. The priority in that situation is for the diver to GET AIR NOW. Instead of twisting and flailing about to recover their primary from who-knows-where, they should:

1. Grab their backup from its keeper and use that.
2. If the backup cannot be found, they should go to their buddy and share air.
3. Once they have a reliable source of air, then (and ONLY THEN) should they start looking for their primary.

I am sure I am way in the minority on this issue, but I am interested in what the rest of you think (and no cracks about pony bottles, OK?) :birthday:
Will DIR for food!

#4 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:14 AM

OK, here is a skill that has always bothered me - regulator recovery.

The skill is still valid. I agree it's a good idea to pick up the octo before retrieving the primary. This skill is, however so easy and fast when it's not done kneeling, the picking up the octo is not an issue. When swimming horizontally, it's as fast to recover the primary as to pick up the octo.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#5 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:38 AM

When swimming horizontally, it's as fast to recover the primary as to pick up the octo.

Seems to me, that it would be rather unlikely that a person would be in a nice horizontal position if they have found themselves in a "loss of primary reg" scenario.

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

When swimming horizontally, it's as fast to recover the primary as to pick up the octo.

Seems to me, that it would be rather unlikely that a person would be in a nice horizontal position if they have found themselves in a "loss of primary reg" scenario.

Most likey reason for losing the reg is getting kicked in the face.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:42 AM

The [reg recovery] skill is still valid. I agree it's a good idea to pick up the octo before retrieving the primary. This skill is, however so easy and fast when it's not done kneeling, the picking up the octo is not an issue.

I did not mean to imply that the skill is no longer valid - sorry if I gave that impression. What I meant to convey is that it should not be the first step in the process - more like step 2 or 3 (or even 4).

I also agree 100% on the "kneeling" part, but that is another topic for another day. I only have time and energy to tilt at just so many windmills. :birthday:
Will DIR for food!

#8 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:45 AM

I'm using a SeaCure mouth piece, if my reg gets knocked out I've got bigger problems like I'm probably missing some teeth too.
In the 70's we were told to get out of the water if sharks showed up, now I pay big bucks to be in with them.
:fish: :diver:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#9 sudsymark

sudsymark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:48 AM

My favorite myth of course is the mask on the head signaling a diver in distress.
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#10 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:09 AM

My favorite myth of course is the mask on the head signaling a diver in distress.

Actually, MOF can be a form of equipment rejection, which is a sign of potential anxiety. The fact that a diver has pushed his or her mask up does not necessarily mean they are distressed. However, divers have been known to push their masks up in situations where they are uncomfortable. I see it every time I teach a class - students are not comfortable wearing their masks, so they push them up on their foreheads.

I was on a wreck dive once where the guy ahead of me on the down line turned and started bellowing at me through his regulator. He was obviously in a very stressed state, and I guessed that he was over-breathing his cheap rental reg (high current and a deep dive do that to people sometimes). I passed him my long hose, and then firmly grabbed both his BC strap and the anchor line. No sooner had I done that, when he pushed his mask off his face and tried to bolt to the surface from about 50 feet. If I had not had him securely in tow, I am certain he would have embolized.

In my experience, "MOF == Distress" is not a "myth" - divers do push their masks up when they feel stress or anxiety. That is not the only reason they do that, but it is certainly one of many possible explanations for why.
Will DIR for food!

#11 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:16 AM

Actually, I ditched the Seacure mouthpiece as my primary will be going to my buddy in the event that they have an OOG situation. A mouthpiece that is molded to my mouth will be quite uncomfortable for them.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#12 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

Actually, MOF can be a form of equipment rejection, which is a sign of potential anxiety. The fact that a diver has pushed his or her mask up does not necessarily mean they are distressed. However, divers have been known to push their masks up in situations where they are uncomfortable. I see it every time I teach a class - students are not comfortable wearing their masks, so they push them up on their foreheads.

I was on a wreck dive once where the guy ahead of me on the down line turned and started bellowing at me through his regulator. He was obviously in a very stressed state, and I guessed that he was over-breathing his cheap rental reg (high current and a deep dive do that to people sometimes). I passed him my long hose, and then firmly grabbed both his BC strap and the anchor line. No sooner had I done that, when he pushed his mask off his face and tried to bolt to the surface from about 50 feet. If I had not had him securely in tow, I am certain he would have embolized.

In my experience, "MOF == Distress" is not a "myth" - divers do push their masks up when they feel stress or anxiety. That is not the only reason they do that, but it is certainly one of many possible explanations for why.

Thanks for making an excellent point. I think that most rescue trained divers will see the signs of a distressed diver before the mask goes onto the forehead. However that may be the first thing that a crew on a boat can notice. Normally, I need to see a couple of things before I worry about diver being distressed. However, if I see the more nervous attitude of a diver ready to lose it, I will be on guard and hope to be as good as Jim at catching it.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

The turning on the tank and then cracking it back is a pet peeve of mine. I don't like other people touching my gear or "helping" me, but every once in a while you get these divers that feel the need to be "helpful."

A number of years ago I had one such diver thinking they were "helping me out" thought my tank as off, mixed up which way to turn the tank off/on and ended up turning my tank OFF and back a half turn while on my back as I was in the process of entering the water. Since it was cracked open a little, it wasn't until I was reaching depth that I noticed the issue.

Lessons learned for ME (this doesn't need to apply across the board):

1. Clearly state to other divers, please do not touch my gear or me when gearing up
2. Always make sure I can reach my own valves

I use this experience when discussing pre-dive checks (even though I had done mine and what happened behind my back when getting in the water). It's not a bad example of what could happen.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#14 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:10 AM

How about still teaching about the J-valve or CO2 inflators on your BC? Might as well be teaching about the quill as a writing instument!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#15 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

Thanks for making an excellent point. I think that most rescue trained divers will see the signs of a distressed diver before the mask goes onto the forehead. However that may be the first thing that a crew on a boat can notice.

Which is also an excellent point, and one I try to stress to my students. There is no reason for a diver to come to the surface, unless the dive is over or there is a problem. It could be a simple problem like "lost track of the boat" or something more serious like "lost track of my buddy". The bottom line is that from the crew's view (and vantage!) point, the diver is on the surface because there is a problem, and for no other reason. Now the mask goes on the forehead - is that significant or not? Sometimes it's hard to tell, so they start paying closer attention. Is that a bad thing? Usually not for the diver, but what if they're so busy paying attention to the (non-distressed) person, that they totally miss the guy that surfaces unconscious on the other side of the boat!

Bottom line is this - "don't look distressed when you're not". If you surface and you're OK, then communicate that info to the crew. Give them a big OK. Keep your mask on your face. Do whatever you need to do at the surface and get back underwater - that is where you should be anyway! :diver:

Normally, I need to see a couple of things before I worry about diver being distressed.

I agree 100% on this, and that's what we usually teach in Rescue classes. However, you are right there on the spot, and in a much better position to react than a Divemaster on a boat that is 200 ft away. Divers at the surface with masks on their foreheads make the boat crew unnecessarily nervous - it's a lot less stressful for them if you don't send the wrong signals.
Will DIR for food!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users