• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

FULL! Feb 10-17 2007 Saba, St Kitts, St. Maarten, and Statia

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#76 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:47 PM

about how much space do we have for gear on the boat? I have a hard case for camera gear, then dive gear (large suitcase size) bag and then of couse vacation clothes.... So how much do I need to leave behind?Really, can someone tell me exaxtly how much area I have for storage, I would greatly appreciate it and so would the person sharing my room with. heeHee

Juli we can ask the boat for precise space measurements but here is a good rough estimate. The boat usually has a place to store dive bags when not in use so that takes care of your hardsided box and dive bag. You can also have them store your primary bag as well if you like or store it under the bed. Most rooms have a single bed 'upper bunk' and and double bed 'lower bunk' as the typical layout. So that means that you will have the space of a double bed to store bags underneath in some of the rooms. Other rooms have a single bed upper and lower bunk so the storage is the width of a twin bed. If you use soft sided luggage it will fit. I use standard suitcases and rarely have a problem.

Also the rooms have drawers to store your closes in so while diminished...space is not as much of a problem as you might think.

One thing is for sure...you tend to overpack for a liveaboard. There is not as much 'dressing for dinner' and changing outfits on a liveaboard so if you do pack less...you'll be just fine.

Do keep in mind that laundry facilities are not available unless you have an emergency and then there would be a small fee if they did any laundry for you. kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#77 OceanWreckDiver

OceanWreckDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:~750

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

If anyone has reservations with Caribbean Airlines you might want to confirm your reservations. I found out yesterday that they merged with Liat and that my flight from St. Maarten to St. Kitts Saturday afternoon no longer existed. They were nice enough to go ahead and rebook me with Liat on an earlier flight for the same day. Only problem is I wasn’t going to arrive in St. Maarten in time to make that flight. I ended up changing my Continental flight out of the states to go to Antigua, then taking Liat to St. Kitts late Saturday afternoon. Hope this doesn’t affect anyone else.

I do have a few questions:

Are tanks with DIN valves available?
Are pony bottles available?
Should we bring O2 analyzers to check the mix?
What equipment do you recommend we bring doubles/backup of e.g. computer, regulator, etc.?
Are bottles larger than 80 cubic feet available?
Will we be using 32% for all the dives?

Thanks
John

#78 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:29 PM

Question Update:

Great questions Ocean Wreck Diver! Here are the answers:

1. I assume the bottles are K valve, do they offer DIN?

- No There are adapters on all boats but please request far in advance in case of damage or loss to the one or two onboard. (We are requesting to see now how many our boat has that are in good working condition. Do you need them?)

2. Are pony bottles available?

– yes a small qty of 1-4 are available on each boat. (I have requested the number on our boat and how much they rent for etc.)

3. Should I bring my O2 meter to check the mix?

– No you don’t have too as the boat has one for everyone to use. If you wish to use your own that is fine but not necessary.

4. What equipment do you recommend that I bring a backup of e.g. computer, regulator, etc.?

– Backups are always space constrained especially flying in for a week of diving. Batteries on computers typically fail so extra batteries are good. If you have a spare computer that is always good to have but make sure you dive it from the beginning so it has the same profiles that you have during the trip. If you have a backup regulator they are nice to have but not necessary. The boat does have some rental equipment that you can obtain if you need it. Or you can bring your own. Bringing at least 2 swimsuits and wetsuits if you have them will allow you to swap out between dry and wet gear, and while not necessary it is nice.

5. Are bottles larger than 80 cubic feet available?

– No there are 2 100 cu ft. on CEXI (Bahamas) and T&CEXII (Turks & Caicos) but only 80s on CEXII (Saba/St Kitts)

6. I assume we are using 32% and everyone gets the same mix if you are diving nitrox?

Yes

7. Are all the dives done in conjunction with a crew member?

– A crew member will dive with members if they so desire on most dives and they will lead several dives where a crew member is needed or required. There is an instructor in the water for every dive but you can dive whichever direction you want as long as you are with a buddy or solo diver certified.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#79 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

Which ever dive has the batfish, plan to dive with the on board instructor or DM so they will find it for you. You will wish you had when you see the video!

#80 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:58 PM

IMPORTANT TRIP UPDATE:

FORMS FORMS FORMS FORMS! Yes the devil in the details or in this case...the FORMS!!!

We need the forms for a variety of reasons...

1. You will not be able to leave port without having sent Explorer Ventures your waiver/info sheet.
2. You will not be able to convince the rest of the boat to wait until Monday to clear customs if you fail to get your docs to the boat on time.
3. You will not have a place to sleep if you do not return your SD Trip Survey as we currently have you sleeping with your dive gear since we do not know your rooming preferences.
4. And last but not least you are stressing the wench and we all know that is NOT a good thing to do! :evilgrin:

So please gang...there are only a few of you left who have not returned your forms to kim or myself. I am not sure who has returned their EV forms to the boat yet but they will tell me tomorrow.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help us out with your docs!!! (And don't forget to put your passport number on your SD doc and your EV doc!)

formerly...

#81 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

Another Important Update!

Hey Everybody!!

Please review the first post of this thread to make sure I have your rooming survey and your SD Liability Release. Also, you must fax your application form to the boat as soon as possible. I've attached a copy of it to this post for your convience.

We received the following question via email today:

Will someone pick me up at the airport in St.Kitts or do I need to have my own transport to the boat? If so, who what and where do I go???

The package we have with Explorer Ventures does not include your transfers to and from the boat. These transfers are not expensive at all, usually they are $5 to $12 dollars per person each way. Since we have 4 or so divers arriving on the same flight from Miami, ya'll should be able to share a cab to the boat. All you have to do is tell the cab driver that you're boarding Explorer Ventures boat and they will know which dock to take you to. Once you get to the dock, the rest is pretty easy. Their boat is very recognizable.

If anyone has additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Attached Files

#82 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

FYI - I mailed the EV Application Form (for both weeks) and the EV Liability Release Form to Explorer Ventures on 1/26.

Since I'll be taking the Solo Diver Course, I mailed the SDI Medical Form to EV as well.

I've emailed Explorer Ventures that the forms are on their way.

See everyone in a couple of weeks!!!!! :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

Edited by ScubaShafer, 27 January 2007 - 01:20 PM.

It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#83 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

FYI - I mailed the EV Application Form (for both weeks) and the EV Liability Release Form to Explorer Ventures on 1/26.

Since I'll be taking the Solo Diver Course, I mailed the SDI Medical Form to EV as well.

I've emailed Explorer Ventures that the forms are on their way.

See everyone in a couple of weeks!!!!! :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

WooHoo!!

We faxed your forms to EV last week so you are set :birthday:

#84 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 08 March 2007 - 07:32 PM

Hey - where's the trip report from this trip? Did I miss it some where?
Known puker

#85 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:05 PM

Hey - where's the trip report from this trip? Did I miss it some where?

I'm searching for it as well. Let me know if you find it. :-)

I did this trip last year with another group. I'd be interested in comparing notes. The diving and the crew for our trip was awesome, but the vessel was really in need of repairs.

We all managed just fine because there were really no "high maintenance" folks on the trip. But we were often without fresh water and/or electric. One night (actually the early hours of the morning) we were shaken awake by the alarms on the boat. There was a fire in the engine room. Needless to say... she needed some work.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#86 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

Ya know...I think we forgot to do a report... :)

Although we not only had an excellent crew the boat was in fine shape with no real problems at all. And the diving was superb!

We had 100th dives and birthday boys and girls...it was a tremendous week!

Guess we really should do a report...ok gang...want to help me out? :D

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users