• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NY/NJ January HH...you've got to be there!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#31 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:26 AM

I'm interested in the HH but can't commit yet...

Hee! Hee! I'm interested too but I've already been committed...er...I mean I can't committ yet either! LOL!!

Got you on the 'interested list'! -ww

Some people just have difficulty committing. :thankyou:

#32 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 04 January 2007 - 10:37 AM

Hee! Hee! I'm interested too but I've already been committed...er...I mean I can't committ yet either! LOL!!

Some people just have difficulty committing. :thankyou:

I figured a woman would point that out :birthday:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#33 pocahontas

pocahontas

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:05 AM

Some people just have difficulty committing. :D

I figured a woman would point that out :wakawaka:

I just want to stick up for one of my wingmen here and point out that you were the first one to commit to the Cozumel trip.... :wakawaka:
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

#34 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:02 PM

Some people just have difficulty committing. :P

I figured a woman would point that out :dance:

I just want to stick up for one of my wingmen here and point out that you were the first one to commit to the Cozumel trip.... :fish:

I soooo would have liked to commit to that one, but it was kind of difficult to leave a 17 yo boy home alone knowing all of the trouble he is likely to get into while I'm gone. And I just couldn't burden my mom with him again. So, when he is off to college (or the way he is going, doing a stint in the military) I'll be able to travel more. If I have the $ that is.

#35 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 06 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

I soooo would have liked to commit to that one, but it was kind of difficult to leave a 17 yo boy home alone knowing all of the trouble he is likely to get into while I'm gone. And I just couldn't burden my mom with him again. So, when he is off to college (or the way he is going, doing a stint in the military) I'll be able to travel more. If I have the $ that is.

Although I never served in the Armed Forces, I couldn't let that "military" comment pass without comment. Be aware that today's soldier is, on average, more educated and more proficient at aptitude tests than are their civilian counterparts.

Rick
:usflag:

Edited by Hipshot, 06 January 2007 - 12:44 PM.

#36 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:02 PM

Although I never served in the Armed Forces, I couldn't let that "military" comment pass without comment. Be aware that today's soldier is, on average, more educated and more proficient at aptitude tests than are their civilian counterparts.

Rick
:usflag:

Rick, I knew what Ellen meant, I've met Josh and he needs a DI to give him some direction in life and to think about how his actions affect those around him.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#37 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

Hey...so whats the word on the pre HH dive? I should have my regs back then and the scooter has new batteries so a dive sounds like a good idea. When you say shallow...how shallow

#38 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:35 AM

Hey...so whats the word on the pre HH dive? I should have my regs back then and the scooter has new batteries so a dive sounds like a good idea. When you say shallow...how shallow

If we do horeshoe cove, the cove itself is about 15'.

However, if we venture into the bay, I don't know the depth, but bring lights.
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#39 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:14 AM

Rick, I knew what Ellen meant, I've met Josh and he needs a DI to give him some direction in life and to think about how his actions affect those around him.

Thanks for the clarification, Ray. My umbrage at the orginal statement was only because of my profound respect for the Armed Forces.

Rick
:thankyou:

#40 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Ray. My umbrage at the orginal statement was only because of my profound respect for the Armed Forces.

Rick
:thankyou:

Rick, Ray is absolutley correct. I'm sorry for the Kerry-esque confusion. :respect: Also, besides being basically undisciplined, my son has yet to complete one college application. Thus, the military may wind up being a defacto option. My cousin suggested the Coast Guard.

Edited by Fairybasslet, 07 January 2007 - 01:09 PM.

#41 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:43 AM

Rick
:cool2:

Rick, Ray is absolutley correct. I'm sorry for the Kerry-esque confusion. :-D Also, besides being basically undisciplined, my son has yet to complete one college application. Thus, the military may wind up being a defacto option. My cousin suggested the Coast Guard.

If he doesn't have self motivation, the CG is not for him. He needs either the Army or Marines.
Moose

#42 NJMike

NJMike

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, planning AOW in 2007
  • Logged Dives:7

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:15 AM

Where is this cove? Can you be specific so I can find it on a map? Also, can you provide as much detail about the dive site as you can (you already said it was 15' deep).

So it must be salt water then....is there a place to rinse gear afterwards?

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet about HH that day, but would like to get a dive in during Jan....ONLY if the weather permits.

So, depending on weather and the dive site questions, I'd consider the dive. You think the water temp would be in the upper 40's?

#43 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:46 AM

Where is this cove? Can you be specific so I can find it on a map? Also, can you provide as much detail about the dive site as you can (you already said it was 15' deep).

So it must be salt water then....is there a place to rinse gear afterwards?

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet about HH that day, but would like to get a dive in during Jan....ONLY if the weather permits.

So, depending on weather and the dive site questions, I'd consider the dive. You think the water temp would be in the upper 40's?

Here is a great place for info on it...
http://www.njscuba.n...l#HorseshoeCove

Note, I would guess water temps in the low 40s, but with the weather like it's been, maybe warmer. 8>)
Saturday I dove in Shark River Inlet (south of Sandy Hook) and water temps were only down to 49 degrees!

This is a weird place to dive. There is no fresh water to rinse gear (that I found yet.)

If you stay in the cove, you don't need a light. It's also pretty tame. Note, this is not a dive that you will write home about. It's more or less a chance to dive, for free, in Saltwater. Now, if you want to get adventous (and you don't mind wading in water for 200 meters), there is a drop off wall that seems very promising. Last time I tried to dive it, I didn't have a light (required for deeper than 20' here.) It had lots of life on the wall. I tried to let my eyes adjust so I could go deeper, but then I couldn't forget about the diver that died just 3 days earlier, in the exact same cove, with NO explanaition of why. Which, I might add is the exact way that the movie Jaws started! :-D :cool2:

So it depends on how adventurous you are. Either the safe dive to get wet or the risky dive with unknown protental. (note, we were almost swep out into the middle of the bay trying to dive off the wall. Not a pretty way to end a dive!)
Moose

#44 NJMike

NJMike

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, planning AOW in 2007
  • Logged Dives:7

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

Definitely would not do the wall...wouldn't do any dives at this point in my experience level that has the word "risky" in the description!

So don't worry about me at this point, if the weather looks good, I'll see what you guys are doing.

#45 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:46 AM

Definitely would not do the wall...wouldn't do any dives at this point in my experience level that has the word "risky" in the description!

So don't worry about me at this point, if the weather looks good, I'll see what you guys are doing.

No problem. I'm not sure that I will try the wall again. I guess it better to be safe than flounder food!
Moose

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users