• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Will be in a DM Course very soon

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Instructor (AOWSI)
  • Logged Dives:1200

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:46 AM

I will be in a PADI DM course very soon, probably Feb. :P The only hold up is my instructor, trying getting everyone together. She had an orientation meeting in Dec. & I was the only one who showed. She did have several interested people that told her "if it had been any day but this one.......", so she's going to have another orientation for those who couldn't make it the first time, in early Feb. Now, back to the subject. I am looking for any words of encouragement, hints, tips, ideas & such to make this transition into the professional ranks as smooth as possible. This is something I want to excel in. I know it's going to take a big commitment on my part, and I don't want to waste it. I'm not quite sure how far I'll take this just yet, but we'll see, the sky's the limit. :wakawaka: I have already picked up my manuals & begun reading & studying to get a jump on things :D . Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thankyou:
Tammy Storm SSI OWSI #46723 SDI & TDI Instructor #15093

#2 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:15 PM

Now, back to the subject. I am looking for any words of encouragement, hints, tips, ideas & such to make this transition into the professional ranks as smooth as possible.

EXCELLENT :P

My advice is in two parts - mental and physical. Mental, remember it's about learning, not about becoming the best diver on the block, so the competition should be largely you working to be the best you can be, not comparing yourself to the other DMCs (aka Tank Sherpas).

Physical - Work on your stamina before you start the course. It's not a super-human swim eval, but you'll want to do well, and your instructor may encourage you to do better than "required." Laps and more laps.

If you're in a PADI program, there is an option of interning, or having the instructor role play the students. If you have a vote, I would strongly encourage you to intern with at least 3 complete classes, including the academics.

Keep us posted, and HAVE FUN.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 January 2007 - 07:03 PM

You go Girl!

I started my DM program last week. Most of the other candidates have had the privilege of being tutored in many of the required skills for the past 2 months. That means I'm behind.

I'm having problems in one very simple area....don't laugh now....the snorkel. Snorkel ditch and recovery is harder for me than SCUBA ditch and recovery. With SCUBA ditch and recovery there's a tank of air and a reg sitting on the bottom waiting for you, and if it's properly weighted you can grab hold of your gear to keep you down while donning (after you've had a good breath of air). The snorkel is not like that...you have to use part of your breath to clear your mask, hold the rest while donning your fins, clear your snorkel and take a breath on the surface before your face comes out of the water. Some people were able to do it on the first night - they've been practicing. I sat in the bottom of the 4ft lap pool I use and practiced pulling my snorkel out, putting it in and clearing it. No matter what I did I ended up with water in my mouth after clearing the snorkel; not a lot, but enough to cause me grief. Then I threw my mask and snorkel in the water and dove down to get it and put it on. Got the mask on my face, but by the time I cleared it I had had enough water and surfaced without inserting my snorkel.

GRRRRRR!!!!

I'm not giving up. I can do this. Remember now, I couldn't swim at all before SCUBA so this isn't easy for me. I'm challenging myself and it's very important to me that I succeed. I'm NOT giving up!

You go TSW....you can do it!

Edited by Twinklez, 15 January 2007 - 07:04 PM.

#4 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:01 PM

Wow! Sounds like you're really going hard at it. Good job! :P As for the physical part, the only part I'm a little worried about is the swim. It's not that I can't do it. It's jsut the fact that as a kid I was on a swim team for 4-5yrs. I got super burned out doing laps (we would do 1500- 2000yds a day in vaious strokes). Even though it's been 24 yrs since, I still hate watching the bottom of a pool, but I'll get over it. The tread should be no problem as I'm "naturally positively buoyant" :D . The gear swap while buddy breathing may be a challenge, but then my instructor has told me that she's determined to get me through it, if I'm determined. And I am! Yes, I know I need to start getting my self in a little better shape & I will. At least the course mixes the study with the physical part to keep it broken up a bit. Thanks for the words of encouragement. :D

Edited by tstormwarning, 15 January 2007 - 08:02 PM.

#5 Penguin

Penguin

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:49 PM

I will be in a PADI DM course very soon, probably Feb. :cool1: The only hold up is my instructor, trying getting everyone together. She had an orientation meeting in Dec. & I was the only one who showed. She did have several interested people that told her "if it had been any day but this one.......", so she's going to have another orientation for those who couldn't make it the first time, in early Feb. Now, back to the subject. I am looking for any words of encouragement, hints, tips, ideas & such to make this transition into the professional ranks as smooth as possible. This is something I want to excel in. I know it's going to take a big commitment on my part, and I don't want to waste it. I'm not quite sure how far I'll take this just yet, but we'll see, the sky's the limit. :dancing: I have already picked up my manuals & begun reading & studying to get a jump on things :P . Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thankyou:

TStorm
After completing my Instructor certification in October, here is my advice to you for any professional level diving certification; Have fun, prepare, have fun, prepare, but most importantly have fun!!! It is easier to say once it is completed but it truly is an enjoyable venture. You will be achieving a professional level which brings with it increased responsibility, scrutiny, liability and OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Set your target for YOU and don't worry about any other DM condidates. Pro level is all about increasing your own competence level and educating you to the point that you can assist lesser or more experienced divers to continue learning and enjoy our sport SAFELY. As divers, there is nothing worse than hearing about a dive tragedy from a humanistic perspective or in any way related to our goal of keeping our beloved sport as unregulated as it is today.

As surprised as I could ever have been, the 400 yard swim was the hardest part of pro certification for me. I'd recommend starting laps now, but then again, I float like a rock. Also, go into the Physics and Physiology sections with an open mind. They, actually, became my favorites of the modules!! Clearly there mst be something wrong with me!! Good Luck.

#6 Penguin

Penguin

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:52 PM

Wow! Sounds like you're really going hard at it. Good job! :thankyou: As for the physical part, the only part I'm a little worried about is the swim. It's not that I can't do it. It's jsut the fact that as a kid I was on a swim team for 4-5yrs. I got super burned out doing laps (we would do 1500- 2000yds a day in vaious strokes). Even though it's been 24 yrs since, I still hate watching the bottom of a pool, but I'll get over it. The tread should be no problem as I'm "naturally positively buoyant" :cool1: . The gear swap while buddy breathing may be a challenge, but then my instructor has told me that she's determined to get me through it, if I'm determined. And I am! Yes, I know I need to start getting my self in a little better shape & I will. At least the course mixes the study with the physical part to keep it broken up a bit. Thanks for the words of encouragement. :dancing:

Don't worry about the equipment exchange. It is all about task loading. Control your breathing, relax and you will get through it fine. In fact, bet your instructor that you will perform it with your buddy on the first attempt. I did and we did!!

#7 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

You will be achieving a professional level which brings with it increased responsibility, scrutiny, liability and OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. Set your target for YOU and don't worry about any other DM condidates. Pro level is all about increasing your own competence level and educating you to the point that you can assist lesser or more experienced divers to continue learning and enjoy our sport SAFELY.

The part about the increased responsibility is something that I take very seriously, but I'm certainly not a stranger to, or intimidated by it. I have that kind of load aready as a small part of my normal job (I work in a paper mill QC lab), as I have to perform Lock out/ tag out & verification for my crew. If I make an error & improperly lock a machine out & it starts or moves, that's some one's life or lives of my coworkers & friends.

Yes, I will begin swimming laps as soon as I get off night shift this week. I plan on having fun and have found out in the past, that It's when I'm under the gun I perform at my best. I was the first female black belt under a martial arts instructor (& he'd been teaching for 30 yrs before I came along) I had. It wasn't easy by far, but I gave it my best & did better that I expectd (though I'm my own worst critic). I know if I just get myself in a little better shape, I should do fine.

#8 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

regarding the equipment exchange, start in your buddy's gear and switch to your own...my buddy and I did the exchange starting with the fins first and worked up...we also used a weight belt plus put weights onto the BC - this way, when you remove your weight belt and exchange it, you don't rise off the bottom; the same is true when you exchange the BC

the part I like the least was the gear exchange...the part I like the most was working with classes

Having fun is what it's all about!

#9 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:19 PM

regarding the equipment exchange, start in your buddy's gear and switch to your own...my buddy and I did the exchange starting with the fins first and worked up...we also used a weight belt plus put weights onto the BC - this way, when you remove your weight belt and exchange it, you don't rise off the bottom; the same is true when you exchange the BC

the part I like the least was the gear exchange...the part I like the most was working with classes

Yes! I'm looking forward to helping with classes myself. As I said above I was a 1st degree black belt assistant instructor & that was my favorite part. I left the martial arts last year because, after 15 yrs I was not going anywhere without devoting every free moment to practicing my martial arts skills, I burned out. Plus I didn't have the time & $ for both hobbies. I'm looking forward to getting into assisting again. It's great to be able to share something you love with others.

Edited by tstormwarning, 15 January 2007 - 09:19 PM.

#10 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 16 January 2007 - 12:49 AM

I loved the gear exchange.
I am not a big gal and I got to exchange gear with a soldier who was 6' tall.
I did have trouble not laughing watching him struggle to put on my little gear.
I of course had no trouble putting on his big gear.

I loved the sharing part of my DM training. Seeing the excitement of the new divers.
I still love that part. I have dove with many new divers and love watching them improve their skills with every dive.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#11 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:37 AM

Heeeeyyy! Good idea with using the extra weight. Like I said above, I'm quite naturally buoyant. That'll take care of that problem. I'd look pretty stupid taking off my BCD & then floating off.

#12 novicediver

novicediver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Logged Dives:19

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:15 AM

how's it coming, T? practicing those skills yet? do you think it is easier to take the wet portion of the course in warm water? keep me posted, send pics, we all want to know how a storm warning does under water.
Good Luck, Tammy, we know you can do it.

#13 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

I will be in a PADI DM course very soon, probably Feb.

Will be starting mine next weekend. Looking forward to the challenge and maybe going onto OW instructor in the fall. Will keep my eye on this thread. Thanks.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#14 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 01:36 PM

I will be in a PADI DM course very soon, probably Feb.

Will be starting mine next weekend. Looking forward to the challenge and maybe going onto OW instructor in the fall. Will keep my eye on this thread. Thanks.

No Probemo. Glad this can help others also. Good luck in your endevours.

Novicediver, Other than studying the books I haven't been able to do much because of work lately. The class is not yet even formed. There will be another orientation this weekend that the others that are interested must attend, from there we will decide when we'll meet.

#15 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:59 PM

how's it coming, T? practicing those skills yet? do you think it is easier to take the wet portion of the course in warm water? keep me posted, send pics, we all want to know how a storm warning does under water.
Good Luck, Tammy, we know you can do it.

You've seen me. You know how this Storm Warning does :cool1: . Right now, even with a dry suit it's too cold (for me) to dive. I may go down to one of the quarries in a couple of weeks to help sink a new Cabin cruiser attraction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users