• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Switching airlines enroute

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Instructor (AOWSI)
  • Logged Dives:1200

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

landlocked & I will be traveling to the Exumas for a live aboard trip in May that SingleDivers.com booked for us. :thankyou: Our flights will take us from Louisville, KY to Orlando,FL to Nassau, Bahamas to Georgetown, Bahamas on the out going flights (I have never had to change airline enroute). We will change airlines in Nassau, Bahamas from Delta to Bahamas Air during a 2hr. layover. I'm just curious as to what to expect with security, immigration, will we have to pick up & recheck our luggage? Is lost luggage a big issue there? Basically I want to go in with all my ducks in a row to make things go smoothly & ensure an uneventful (other than the diving) trip. Any suggestions or ideas to make things work well? Thanks bunches!
Tammy Storm SSI OWSI #46723 SDI & TDI Instructor #15093

#2 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:56 AM

landlocked & I will be traveling to the Exumas for a live aboard trip in May that SingleDivers.com booked for us. :thankyou: Our flights will take us from Louisville, KY to Orlando,FL to Nassau, Bahamas to Georgetown, Bahamas on the out going flights (I have never had to change airline enroute). We will change airlines in Nassau, Bahamas from Delta to Bahamas Air during a 2hr. layover. I'm just curious as to what to expect with security, immigration, will we have to pick up & recheck our luggage? Is lost luggage a big issue there? Basically I want to go in with all my ducks in a row to make things go smoothly & ensure an uneventful (other than the diving) trip. Any suggestions or ideas to make things work well? Thanks bunches!

When you enter Bahamas in Nassau you will need to clear immigration and customs, and just like entering any country will need to transfer your checked luggage to the new airline. Just make sure you have a valid Passport..... :wakawaka:

have fun and don't stress too much.

Robin

PS I always take the things that I "have" to have when I arrive in my carryon..... prescription mask, swimsuit and UW camera :P Just in case....

#3 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

landlocked & I will be traveling to the Exumas for a live aboard trip in May that SingleDivers.com booked for us. :P Our flights will take us from Louisville, KY to Orlando,FL to Nassau, Bahamas to Georgetown, Bahamas on the out going flights (I have never had to change airline enroute). We will change airlines in Nassau, Bahamas from Delta to Bahamas Air during a 2hr. layover. I'm just curious as to what to expect with security, immigration, will we have to pick up & recheck our luggage? Is lost luggage a big issue there? Basically I want to go in with all my ducks in a row to make things go smoothly & ensure an uneventful (other than the diving) trip. Any suggestions or ideas to make things work well? Thanks bunches!

When you enter Bahamas in Nassau you will need to clear immigration and customs, and just like entering any country will need to transfer your checked luggage to the new airline. Just make sure you have a valid Passport..... :D

have fun and don't stress too much.

Robin

PS I always take the things that I "have" to have when I arrive in my carryon..... prescription mask, swimsuit and UW camera :D Just in case....

Thanks for the "heads up". Yes, I have a valid passport & I plan on carrying on my BCD, regs, computer, mask, fins, snorkel, swimsuit & a change of clothes (maybe a wet suit, if it'll fit).

Edited by tstormwarning, 15 January 2007 - 08:08 PM.

#4 Penguin

Penguin

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

landlocked & I will be traveling to the Exumas for a live aboard trip in May that SingleDivers.com booked for us. :P Our flights will take us from Louisville, KY to Orlando,FL to Nassau, Bahamas to Georgetown, Bahamas on the out going flights (I have never had to change airline enroute). We will change airlines in Nassau, Bahamas from Delta to Bahamas Air during a 2hr. layover. I'm just curious as to what to expect with security, immigration, will we have to pick up & recheck our luggage? Is lost luggage a big issue there? Basically I want to go in with all my ducks in a row to make things go smoothly & ensure an uneventful (other than the diving) trip. Any suggestions or ideas to make things work well? Thanks bunches!

TStorm
I have recently been on a couple of trips where I have changed airlines midway through a leg of the trip. This has automatically flagged me as a "TTT" which exposes you to an entirely level of security----basically just short of cavity search. And since they go through everything you have, make sure that you don't have any liquids in larger than a 3 oz bottle. Last trip they confiscated a bottle of cologne because it was a 6.5 ounce bottle about 25% full. In my world that contains less than 3 ounces!!! Good luck, have fun, dive safe!

#5 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:48 PM

you should try to find out were one airline comes into the airport in the Bahamas and where the other leaves from...and I'd probably do the baggage change from one airline to the other going to the Exuma. On the way back, just make sure your outbound airline from Exuma will transfer your bags to the airline in Georgetown. If so, I'd probably check them all the way thru on the return. Or maybe not, it depends on my level of confidence in them

#6 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:52 PM

you should try to find out were one airline comes into the airport in the Bahamas and where the other leaves from...and I'd probably do the baggage change from one airline to the other going to the Exuma. On the way back, just make sure your outbound airline from Exuma will transfer your bags to the airline in Georgetown. If so, I'd probably check them all the way thru on the return. Or maybe not, it depends on my level of confidence in them

We are flying in on Delta & I've never had a problem with them. We are switching to Bahamas air in Nassau (& vise versa on the trip home). I know nothing about Bahamas air. I'll see what I can find out. Thanks for the tips all! I'm taking notes.

#7 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 15 January 2007 - 08:59 PM

We are flying in on Delta & I've never had a problem with them. We are switching to Bahamas air in Nassau (& vise versa on the trip home). I know nothing about Bahamas air. I'll see what I can find out. Thanks for the tips all! I'm taking notes.

Ok, you should make sure that Delta and Bahamas Air have a baggage agreement...you will probably have to call Delta to find out for sure

also, try to get pre-reserved seats on all your flights

#8 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

I will for sure! Thank you. We have seats assigned on all flights but Bahamas Air (they didn't offer seat assignments), but i'll check into it.

#9 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:06 AM

You are flying to Nassau in the Bahamas, don't stress over the airport and gates (how many can there be??).... Remember it will be a little airport, where they speak English (despite the lovely lilt of the islands)... not a big place like Atlanta. People there will help you if you need assistance.

Also on little airplanes, you will most likely be unable to have a large carryon (and there may be weight limitations, too) ... and be sure to look up the checked baggage allowance for your Bahamas Air flight. And remember you will need to collect them for your customs check, and take them to the transfer desk or to the Bahamas Air agent.

FWIW, I check all my dive gear, except mask and computer. Get dive equipment insurance and don't worry, your bag will get there and if it is lost, it will be replaced. The airline will bring it to you, if for any reason it isn't there in Nassau. The local dive shop will be only too happy to rent you with gear until the bag arrives, if it is late. Some years back, I had bags brought to Matangi Island (a little island in Fiji, 9 seat airplane, land on coral airstrip, and then 30 min boat ride to island) when my bag was forgotten in Honiara, Soloman Islands! It was two days later, but they delivered it to me at my destination! :D

#10 domino22

domino22

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:49 PM

I hate to switch from one airline to another on a trip and check my bags all the way. I have had the following happen. 1) Almost missed my flight to Fiji by not checking my bags all the way from the begining thru LAX the armpit of of air travel. 2) So next time thru the armpit to the Philippines I checked them all the way, I arrived and so did my luggage two days later! 3) I hate LAX 4) I really hate LAX. As for the weight deal I see it as so, if they can over charge you they will and will be happy. If they can scare you into two shirts and one pair of underware for a two week trip they can then sell your luggage space for air freight and make even more money. Darn I sound a little bitter here, be prepared to be sc#e$d! And whats the deal with golf clubs?????????????????

#11 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 20 April 2007 - 08:19 PM

Good one Penguin. :P There was a period when we could not carry liquids on at all, but TSA gave way on the 3-1-1 rule: 3 ounce bottles max - not 6 oz bottle partly full; I would have enjoyed seeing that argument. :P One - one quart zip lock back to a passenger, presented with your boarding pass, not inside the carry-on. I carry extra zip locks to share with passengers who still have not heard or looked at the TSA site. There were a few problems with some agents insisting on zip lock brand at first, but that didn't' last. Clear, zip lock style bags of a quart or less.

I avoid changing airlines as much as I can, but have had to do it a couple times. I'd like to have two or more hours in the immigration & airline change airport, four might be prudent since a lot of problems that can happen with passengers and luggage can be cleared easier with one airline, but - you've got it set up this way already, and your connection time is already set.

Here's Bahama's site http://www.bahamasair.com/ss/ altho there's not much there - still, I'd review it closely, along with luggage limits at http://www.delta.com/home/index.jsp Still, Bahama air does state...

Carry-on baggage advice:

* Check with the airline for any limits it has on the size, weight, or number of carry-on bags. (There is no single federal standard.)
* Inquire about your flight; different airplanes can have different limits.
* If you are using more than one airline for a trip, check on all of them.
* A heavy bag which fits in an overhead bin may still cause the bin to exceed its weight limit.

And as suggested, ask if Delta and Bahama Air have a luggage agreement - that would help.

It would probly be prudent to review TSA rules, all of them: http://www.tsa.gov/t...lers/index.shtm

I couldn't find a really good link on the airport, but there seems to be two terminals. http://www.travel-li...al_airport.html will give you some expectations.

How many in your party?

Next time, maybe pay more to stay on one airline if you can. Your probabilities are greatly increased.

Edited by DandyDon, 21 April 2007 - 12:50 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#12 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 21 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

Hi...
A couple of years ago I flew via USAirways to Nassau, then BahamasAir to George Town, much as you are doing. The advice above is right on... your two-hour layover will be fine. Do be very careful about your luggage (dimensions and weight), as the plane to George Town will be quite small. Other than that, no problem, mon! I greatly enjoyed George Town and the dives from the Nekton.

I did hand carry my regs, mask, fins, computer. Since you are making three separate flight segments, the chance of luggage screwups exists for you, even within the Delta flights. Have a great time! cat fish

#13 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

Thanks all! Right now I plan on a roller duffle bag, my carryon case & a backpack I will have my BCD, camera, regs, computer mask fins snorkel on me. & clothes & spare mask, fins, wetsuits in the duffel bag. Yeah, I'll watch them very close. Only 3 weeks to go! I can't wait!

#14 tstormwarning

tstormwarning

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:04 PM

By the way, anyone know the exact amount (# of bags) allowed, especially carry- ons? Bahamas Air web site is rather vague on that, they only really give weight limits. I have e-mailed them for info also, so hopefully I'll have some info to go on. I was planning on one roller dufflebag (clothes & wetsuits) to check, a roller carry on (BC, regs, mask & fins) & a back pack to be on my person (dive computer, camera, travel documents & personal items). Is the back pack allowed along with the roller carryon on their planes? I'm just trying to come up with a packing plan.

#15 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 22 April 2007 - 03:00 PM

By the way, anyone know the exact amount (# of bags) allowed, especially carry- ons? Bahamas Air web site is rather vague on that, they only really give weight limits. I have e-mailed them for info also, so hopefully I'll have some info to go on. I was planning on one roller dufflebag (clothes & wetsuits) to check, a roller carry on (BC, regs, mask & fins) & a back pack to be on my person (dive computer, camera, travel documents & personal items). Is the back pack allowed along with the roller carryon on their planes? I'm just trying to come up with a packing plan.

I would call them to discuss these details: Toll free from USA - 1-800-222-4262 Posted Image
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users