• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Personal Milestone

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 June 2004 - 08:39 PM

Living where I do, it's hard not to dive every day. My biggest inhibitor has been that there are not always people around when I want to dive &, when there are, we often have different ideas of what constitutes a good dive. So, I've been thinking about going solo for a while. Today was the day.

I stopped by my LDS on the way home from work (where I was told Kamala had just called :evilgrin: ) & picked up a tank. I was so excited to get back in the water that I completely forgot to stop by the store for coffee & cream- tomorrow morning's going to be hard.... :welcome: Dropped the tank at the wall, grabbed my gear & got it all together. My first & only little glitch- I had forgotten that my custom mouthpiece had been replaced in Bonaire by CyclingMike when he used it for the double tank dive that they did. Shrugged it off, geared up & walked right into the ocean....

Kicked out past the first set of buoys & dropped down. We have been having some storms come through so the visibility wasn't the greatest- perhaps 25 feet with lots of particles in the water. No worries- I wasn't going out to see anything anyway- just wanted to get wet & meditate a little. That's exactly what I did.

There was a very slight north current, practically nonexistant, but a moderate amount of surge. I headed east until I was fully on the reef & sort of pointed myself south. I didn't plan to go anywhere or see anything- I just floated along, hovering between 11-14 feet most of the time with an occasional kick. I just floated along feeling to myself breathe & relax- thinking about whatever came to mind. I did see a small skate & a couple of those beautiful angel fish that are in the Bonaire gallery but really, would not have cared if I hadn't. I totally lost track of time down there- it was one of the most serene dives I've ever had.

Finally, I decided to head back. As I was coming in, a snorkeler popped down & waved at me. He looked familiar so I came up to the surface- it was my neighbor, out for his evening swim. He told me that he had seen me going out, eaten his dinner & taken a short nap. I was puzzled- it didn't feel as if I'd been down very long & my mask was a little foggy so I couldn't really read my computer that well. I'd only used about a thousand psi- I was already planning to use the tank again tomorrow. So, I continued in, just letting the surge wash me ashore. I came up right at my house- all I had to do was walk straight up to the patio & drop my gear. My neighbor had been kind enough to drag out a garbage pail that we use to wash our gear & start filling it up for me. (thanks, Mike). Finally took a look at my computer- an hour & 35 minutes- 1100 psi used according to my air gauge. My kind of dive.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#2 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:14 PM

congrats, girlfriend!!!!!

i am SO envious!!!!!!
:evilgrin: :welcome: :hiya: :teeth: :teeth: :2cool: :2cool:

#3 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:24 PM

Marvel you make me want to move. This being land locked sucks! Not only that but there really isn't any place nearby to do a decent dive.

#4 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:32 PM

congrats, girlfriend!!!!!

i am SO envious!!!!!!
:2cool: :2cool: :2cool: :2cool: :2cool: :2cool: :2cool:

:teeth:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#5 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 09:33 PM

Marvel you make me want to move. This being land locked sucks! Not only that but there really isn't any place nearby to do a decent dive.

Ya' know- I think I'm just gonna have to posts some pictures of my house & side yard to really torture you guys!!! :teeth:
Marvel

Posted Image

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:13 PM

Wondering if you felt any apprehension re: the first solo dive? Not so bad, eh? Of course yours must have been fairly shallow given the duration and air consumption.

Doc

#7 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:30 PM

nope! marvelicious has an amazing air consumption rate. YEA! congrats on a successful solo dive.

#8 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 24 June 2004 - 11:37 PM

congrats my friend. nice to know that divers always have a place where you can be surrounded by the world and hide from it at the same time
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 June 2004 - 04:30 AM

I'd like to caution folks that solo diving is not for everyone or even for most. There is safety in numbers and solo diving isn't a goal. I know Marvel's abilities and I'm not concerned about her diving solo from time to time in her yard. I worry that others who are not ready or who don't have a site with which they are as familiar will be encouraged to dive solo.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 25 June 2004 - 04:42 AM

what size pony you using??
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 June 2004 - 04:58 AM

Rich, I suspect you are trying to make a point about redundant gear while diving solo. This is not an issue when diving to depths from which you can easily and comfortably make a free ascent. Knowing the site where she was diving, I'm sure a pony was not necessary for her dive and I doubt she had one. It's not likely she reached 20 feet and very possible she didn't exeed 15.

This is one of the reasons I really don't like this type of thread, it encourages folks to do things (solo diving) they shouldn't and brings up discussions of techniques to do these types of activities which makes some people think has taught them to participate in activities like this when in fact you can't learn solo diving on line.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 25 June 2004 - 05:45 AM

Must say it does sound serene!

Which end is up?

#13 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 25 June 2004 - 05:58 AM

CONGRATS!! I too, am Envious!

I'm headed to S. Fla on 8/7, meeting up with one of our Singlediver members Den, and some other friends. We should get together! Would be fun to meet some of the other Fla folks as well that are on this board if they are able.

WG

#14 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:44 AM

This is one of the reasons I really don't like this type of thread, it encourages folks to do things (solo diving) they shouldn't and brings up discussions of techniques to do these types of activities which makes some people think has taught them to participate in activities like this when in fact you can't learn solo diving on line.

walter...always the voice of reason.

yes. you are absolutely right. you could put a disclaimer like "the views expressed on this site are not necessarily...." and so on. you are absolutely right NOTto encourage advanced diving techniques to new divers...or anyone else, for that matter, who is not qualified or skilled enough to do so.

but i think marvel's point was that it was her PERSONAL ACHIEVEMENT and she wanted to share the wonder she felt. she wanted to share that awesome feeling of BEING ALIVE...one that i'm sure ALL of us experience when we dive.

thank you walter for your always level headed concern for our collective safety. :thankyou:

and thank you marvel for letting us into your personal heaven... :wub:

Edited by triggerfish, 25 June 2004 - 06:46 AM.

#15 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 07:57 AM

Wondering if you felt any apprehension re: the first solo dive? Not so bad, eh? Of course yours must have been fairly shallow given the duration and air consumption.

Doc

Good question- and, surprisingly no- none at all. Of course, my deepest depth was 19 feet. I have actually been out with others & have chosen to abort & go in early due to water temps (prearranged, of course) so, I've been in the water alone before. This was actually really good venue to do a first solo dive. I'll be going out again tonight (gotta finish that tank off!!) & again, will just focus on meditating & breathing. I just LOVE to float around in the water!!!
Marvel

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users