• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Personal Milestone

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#16 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:00 AM

CONGRATS!! I too, am Envious!

I'm headed to S. Fla on 8/7, meeting up with one of our Singlediver members Den, and some other friends. We should get together! Would be fun to meet some of the other Fla folks as well that are on this board if they are able.

WG

You'd better call me before you come down girlfriend- gotta make sure calendar is clear for you! :thankyou:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#17 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:14 AM

Yes Walter that was exactly my point.
And, I support your right to your view, but personally, if someone is going to go solo regardless of the depth, they should do it right, my view.
rich
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#18 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:41 AM

Despite the fact that I dive solo most of the time, Walter is right in cautioning other SD members that this is NOT something everyone should try, at least not until they have a lot of experience and skills development under their weight belt.

Most of my solo diving is at sites I know well. When I dive solo in new areas, I rarely exceed 50 ft (an easy recovery depth for me). And normally I will not dive a new site without a buddy.

Doc

#19 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 25 June 2004 - 08:51 AM

CONGRATS!!  I too, am Envious!

I'm headed to S. Fla on 8/7, meeting up with one of our Singlediver members Den, and some other friends.  We should get together!  Would be fun to meet some of the other Fla folks as well that are on this board if they are able. 

WG

You'd better call me before you come down girlfriend- gotta make sure calendar is clear for you! :thankyou:

Absolutely!!

#20 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:34 AM

I saw this last night, and worried about this, but decided to wait and see what Walter said. Glad I did.

And while Rich and I often agree on Pony bottles, I wouldn't bother to 40 feet, as I trust my ascents from that level enough. I'm diving a 40 feet spring in 2 weeks, and while I do not trust buddy diving, I'm not bothering with the Pony.

I am yet concerned about how cautious Marvel is being in this vein {planning a solo night dive with a partial tank?}, but Walter knows her well and I don't. Marvel, were you towing a dive flag, or is there any boat traffic at all there...?

Edited by DandyDon, 25 June 2004 - 10:35 AM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#21 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:00 AM

Marvel,

The dive sounds wonderful! That is the type of dive I like (solo or with buddy); easy, relaxed, meditative. Congratulations!

#22 flatwood

flatwood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:open water, Nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:100 plus

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:32 AM

congrats marvel, sounded like heaven to me. :teeth: :hiya: :teeth: ps, any houses for sale close by :teeth:
I've got 99 problems and diving ain't one of them.

#23 oatmeal769

oatmeal769

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor, Tec Trimix
  • Logged Dives:1000 +

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:57 PM

Being alone with the sea is a very wonderful, spiritual experience, I prefer it even over a buddy I can trust. Now you know the secret, have fun!

A pony bottle? in 19 feet of water? Ridiculous.
Jeff Schoonover
www.jetharness.com

#24 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 25 June 2004 - 02:56 PM

Marvel,

I've done one brief solo dive, also in an easy, familiar environment (such as your situation).

My only question/concern is this- did you let anyone know that you would be diving? I think it's a good idea to at least notify someone on the surface of when to expect you back. Then (God forbid) if anything does happen to you, at least some one will be aware of it right away.

My "solo dive" was actually a portion of a buddy dive. I dove around alone for about 15 minutes, while my instuctor friend took his student out for a brief "tour" and to finish his skill tests, then we met up at an agreed upon place. So I had the peace of mind of knowing he would expect me back at a pre-determined time. But those 15 minutes alone were really cool - I felt a feeling of peaceful solitude that was very nice.

So be careful, but enjoy it, too!
Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#25 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 June 2004 - 06:27 PM

Thanks for everyones concern- makes me feel loved :wavey:

Of course I had a flag, of course people were aware that I was out there. And yes, Don- partial tank today but 1900 psi is not exactly close to running out, now is it? Also, this is summertime- I've been back in for nearly 2 hours & it's not even getting dark yet. OK?

Just missed my next door neighbor going out- she went to take pictures & even though we were fairly close (according to our other neighbors), we never saw one another.

Still, the solitude was much-needed therapy for me after a work week from hades.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#26 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:07 PM

Glad you had a nice dive...

(notice how I purposely avoided the pony comments and the solo diver comments, and instead just congratulated you on a good dive?)
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#27 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 25 June 2004 - 09:23 PM

Gee, I have to do something other than diving when I get stressed at work. Of course since I dive all the time, I must not be too stressed! The joy of doing what one loves despite the consequences.

Doc

#28 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 26 June 2004 - 12:37 PM

Thanks for everyones concern- makes me feel loved  :teeth:

Of course I had a flag, of course people were aware that I was out there. And yes, Don- partial tank today but 1900 psi is not exactly close to running out, now is it? Also, this is summertime- I've been back in for nearly 2 hours & it's not even getting dark yet. OK?

Sounds great. It's a discussion board, and I wondered. And since you hadn't mentioned, thought it might be good to bring it up for others reading here.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#29 scuba_jenny

scuba_jenny

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:216

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:41 PM

Hey Marvel
Congrats on your first solo.
I just did my first also a couple weeks ago under similar conditions- shallow, know the reef, know my experience level, used familar equipment....

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:58 PM

Hey girlfriend...sounds like you have experienced the ultimate in diving!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

-kamala aka Wreck Wench

P.S. Thanks to those that also showed concern for ensuring that others contemplating similar diving experiences are better prepared and understand the ramifications. We not only want to be the most FUN you can have on the net without getting wet...but also know that we promote the most FUN and SAFE DIVING too!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users