• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Georgia or Florida?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AirHead

AirHead

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:56 AM

Hi,

I am going to be in Savannah the last week of March and need some advice. Is there diving off the Georgia coast or should I head on down to Fla. since I will be close. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Buz
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake W.C. Fields

#2 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 24 February 2007 - 04:44 PM

I am going to be in Savannah the last week of March and need some advice. Is there diving off the Georgia coast or should I head on down to Fla. since I will be close. Any suggestions?

There's not that much diving off the Georgia coast, and what there is is pretty far off-shore. In the Savannah area is Snapper Banks, which is a "live bottom" area that's about 40 miles out. Most people go out there for spearfishing. A little further south is Gray's Reef and the J and G reefs, which are closer to 20 miles off-shore.

Gray's Reef is a National Marine Sanctuary (one of the oldest, in fact - designated in 1981). It is a limestone shelf that runs for several miles in about 65 ft of water, and was once a coral reef when sea levels were lower. It is a known calving ground for the endangered Atlantic Right Whale (which is partly why it is protected). This is actually the time of year when mothers and calves are in the area, but don't expect to see one up close - it's a violation of federal law for any vessel to be within 500 yds of a Right Whale, and it is the vessel's responsibility to "steer clear". The G and J reefs are artificial reefs, consisting of some Liberty ships and few surplus Army tanks.

There are some charter boats that run out of both Savannah and Brunswick. I'm sure they can give you more info on diving conditions this time of year, charter prices, etc.
Will DIR for food!

#3 AirHead

AirHead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:22 AM

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the information.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake W.C. Fields

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 February 2007 - 01:15 PM

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the information.

Cool! So where did you decide to go? Any chance someone might want to go diving with you? Let us know!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 AirHead

AirHead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 04:09 PM

Well... I guess I have decided on Florida...but now the question is Ft Lauderdale area or upper keys. I am never satisfied....I always have one more question.

#6 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:40 AM

Well... I guess I have decided on Florida...but now the question is Ft Lauderdale area or upper keys. I am never satisfied....I always have one more question.

My vote during that time of year would be the Keys. Conditions in March are always difficult to predict, and I think the Palm coast is a little more"iffy" since they are more exposed to the effects of bad weather. The Keys are a little more protected, so you might have better luck down there. What you could do is drive to Ft Lauderdale, see how things are shaping up weatherwise, and then if it's not to your liking you can check on the Keys and head down there if things look OK.

For what it's worth, I have been diving S Florida and the Bahamas almost every year in March for the last 10-12 years, and have been completely blown out of diving on only two occasions. Once was in Boynton Beach in 1998, and the other time was in Bimini in 2001. Other times the conditions have ranged from dead flat calm to "barely diveable". It all depends on what the weather is doing, and things are very unpredictable that time of year.

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#7 AirHead

AirHead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 06:57 PM

Hey Jim,

That makes sense. Thanks again. I might have to be a bit more certain with my schedule. There may be a couple of guys from my group that is meeting in Savannah that wish to dive as well and I am not sure that they will wish to be that flexible. Then again, those other guys schedules may not pan out at all and it just may be me.

I appreciate the good advice that you have given.

Buz

#8 diverdown231

diverdown231

Getting started

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:15

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:17 AM

Hey Jim,

That makes sense. Thanks again. I might have to be a bit more certain with my schedule. There may be a couple of guys from my group that is meeting in Savannah that wish to dive as well and I am not sure that they will wish to be that flexible. Then again, those other guys schedules may not pan out at all and it just may be me.

I appreciate the good advice that you have given.

Buz

Hello, I will be down in the panhandle lookin for a dive buddy as well. I am looking to do some diving in the local springs. Anyone familiar with the area or is interested in exploring the springs let me know at kalwats@bellsouth.net. I am going to be down at vortex springs with a dive club on the weekend of 3/18 but I am going down earlier 3/13-3/18 and want to go to ginnie springs and a few more I am open to diving anywere as long as its not to far from the upper part of florida. Email me or post and hopefully we can make a plan. Thanks, Shawn

#9 GeorgiaDiver

GeorgiaDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:84

Posted 04 March 2007 - 05:19 PM

I will be diving out of Destin the 24th and 25th of March...not too far from vortex, couple of friends and I are doing cert. dives for nitrox. The more the merrier on the boat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users