• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

"Security" What a Concept...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:09 AM

In a post on hybrid cars in another thread, the Mooseinator wrote:

Hybrid technology is a farce to make people "feel" better. Just like the current "3 oz fluid liquid limit" on airplanes. Hybrids getting real world 30-40 MPG* aren’t saving the world. Just as not letting you take on a 12 bottle of water on a plane makes no one any safer.

Which triggered a thought. Given that Homeland Security is now as invasive as the rubber glove treatment (Any guy over 40 knows what I am talking about and I am sure the ladies have much the same experience a lot earlier...), has a budget three time bigger then before 9-11, explosive sniffer dogs and has body x-ray machines that check every square inch of you; Do you think you are any safer from a terror threat today then the day before 9-11 as you shoelessly shuffle inch-by-inch down the TSA wait lines? Or is this just a PR campaign that allows government to delve deeper into your personal life.

Opinions, thoughts, comments???

PS. This was the closest thread I could find to post this topic as we don't have a general discussion area (hint, hint, hint)...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#2 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:27 AM

Anyone that thinks flying is safer today than it was 10 years ago slept through high school chemistry and physics classes.

It is all about getting re-elected by giving jobs to people who's job depends on you getting re-elected.

this is the government's goal

#3 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:37 AM

government's goal

O M G... Now that is what I needed first thing this morning... :lmao:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:51 AM

There are a lot of things that have happened since 9/11 that the government has done in order to take away our personal liberties and civil rights in the name of "making the public safe". All are hogwash and only an attempt to make the general public feel good while gaining more control over the citizens of this country. The un-patriot act is one that I think is absolutely horrendous. Am I safer while flying? Maybe a tad safer, not much. There still is no screening of cargo that goes into the hold of each airplane we fly. Do you think that terrorists don't know this? If you believe they don't, you are extremely naive. They aren't stupid. Does the ADIZ around Washington DC make anyone in Washinton any safer? No, it does not. It only pokes at the people who fly small planes that couldn't make a dent in the Pentagon if they were filled with explosives. There are no restrictions on the airliners that caused the problem in the first place. So, they fly in and out with no issues. The entire restricted zone should be dropped and the normal restrictions returned. It would save us all a bunch of tax money.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#5 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:26 AM

The only thing that makes me feel safer flying and the terrorist know this too is that any group that tries to take the cockpit now will have the crap beat out of them by the other passengers because we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 14 March 2007 - 07:54 AM

Do I feel safer in normal every day life? No, but I felt safe before and feel safe today. Do I feel safer when flying... a tad bit, but also far more inconvenienced.

The way to make us truly safer is to reduce the risk that we will become a target. That takes some significant changes in our foreign policy, one followed by both parties I might add. And a cure for our addiction to that thick gooey (as opposed to GUI) stuff.

#7 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:25 AM

Do you think you are any safer from a terror threat today then the day before 9-11 as you shoelessly shuffle inch-by-inch down the TSA wait lines? Or is this just a PR campaign that allows government to delve deeper into your personal life.

You are no safer today in your life then before 9/11. The risks have just shifted. The terrorist have won. On top of that we have thrown away the values we hold dear for a false sense of "security."

<soapbox mode on>
Want safer airlines? Why not model our airlines after the Israel airlines? They do a background check on each passenger, and then have guys with machine guns on each flight. You don’t take your shoes off to fly on their airlines. Hell, I don’t think I’ve ever had to take my shoes off (or had water confiscated from me) in any airport outside the US. Note, I’ve flow in just about every Middle Eastern country (minus Iran and N Korea.) Why aren’t other planes falling to the ground?

Also, the people screening the luggage are McD’s rejects. FWIW, I always travel with my 100oz Camelbak as carry on. To date, not one of these drones has identified it as “more than 3oz of fluid.” Even though I’ve drank from it IN LINE at the detectors.
As for the guns on planes, Oh no, we can’t have a machine gun on a plane. Our kids will grow up all messed up. Yeah, that’s the problem.

Want safer schools? Allow teachers and administrators to go through a background check, then a training program and then ARM them.

Geeze, you may think I’m just a gun nut. The truth is that I have seen these issues from the inside. I was a cop for 5 years and spent 18 years in the Army with 2 tours and many side trips to Iraq. You can’t prevent people from planning and executing these types of attacks. But you can neutralize them as they try to pull it off. That can only be done with well TRAINED and armed personnel.

If the weapons are in the right hands, you don’t need to pry into everyone’s personal life. You don’t need to tap phone lines, etc. The bad guys will figure it out pretty quick if every time they try something, they are shot.

If you think that cops are here to protect you, I’m sorry. Police today can only RESPOND to crime. Cops aren’t everywhere. They can’t stop people before they commit a crime almost 99.9% of the time.

Note, I’m also a stanch advocate of harsh prison sentences for people that misuse a firearm in a crime. I think the Graves act is to light!

To have freedom, you need to have responsibility. We now have NEITHER!
<soapbox mode off>

OK, now I feel better. :lmao:
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#8 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:51 AM

Do you think you are any safer from a terror threat today then the day before 9-11 as you shoelessly shuffle inch-by-inch down the TSA wait lines? Or is this just a PR campaign that allows government to delve deeper into your personal life.

<soapbox mode on>
Want safer airlines? Why not model our airlines after the Israel airlines? They do a background check on each passenger, and then have guys with machine guns on each flight. You don’t take your shoes off to fly on their airlines. Hell, I don’t think I’ve ever had to take my shoes off (or had water confiscated from me) in any airport outside the US. Note, I’ve flow in just about every Middle Eastern country (minus Iran and N Korea.) Why aren’t other planes falling to the ground?

OK, now I feel better. :lmao:

Moose,

I am sorry to say that now MANY other countries are following the idiotic lead of the US and Britain (where this war on water began!) They are doing this so their planes can fly to US and other cities following the lead of the FAA requirements. In addition to the shoe carnival and the war on water, now there are body "pat-downs" and hand luggage searches in the jetways, in addition, to multiple exposure to X ray devices and walk through metal detectors, on the order to 2-4 times in each airport. This now includes Japan and Philippines as two examples. I have no doubt that many other countries are to follow this lead.
Heck, I was denied taking a small pineapple (after it was Xrayed two times) on a domestic Philippine flight, because it "might" have water in it.... hey that is what they said, not me.

Are we safer because they do these things to us now? NO. All just a "horse and pony show" for John Q Public, and may I say a public "workfare" program.

Robin

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:21 AM

I’ve flow in just about every Middle Eastern country (minus Iran and N Korea.)

I didn't get the memo. When did North Korea move?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:33 AM

I didn't get the memo. When did North Korea move?

DOH, :-D see, I was thinking about the countries in that region (not just the middle east) when I wrote that.
Moose

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 14 March 2007 - 10:58 AM

What region is that - the eastern hemisphere?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:42 PM

This past week, I flew to and from Washington D.C., and I feel safer. For both flights, everything that I had was X-rayed, and since I have an internal defibrillator, I received a thorough (and professional) hand search. I honestly can't imagine how I could have brought anything on board that could have done any damage.

After my return trip, I found a note that my checked bag had been opened and inspected. What was the difference between the bag on the return trip vs. the first? Well, on the return trip, I'd packed a bottle of hot sauce that was given to me at the conference that I'd attended.

Instead of whining about and disparaging Homeland Security, try to remember how you felt on 9-11-01. While (by definition) nothing is fail-safe, I think there's a far less likely chance of it ever happening again because of the security measures now in effect at airports.

Rick

:thankyou:

Edited by Hipshot, 14 March 2007 - 03:45 PM.

#13 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:53 PM

Instead of whining about and disparaging Homeland Security, try to remember how you felt on 9-11-01. While (by definition) nothing is fail-safe, I think there's a far less likely chance of it ever happening again because of the security measures now in effect at airports.

This will never happen again because the passengers of the plane would never let it happen again. FWIW, they could have 5 people with large knives try to take over the plan, they would have 200 people tearing them apart as soon as they stood up.

So, how does not letting me take a nail clipper or bottle of water on a plane help? Oh, BTW, you can buy BOTH those items in the in gift shop right before you board the plane!

I remember how I felt BEFORE 9/11 when I flew. I often joked about how lax security (and I use the term lightly!) was. The flights now are not safer, because they take knitting neddles away from old ladies and they do not search young Arab men (because you don't want to be racist) is counter to security.
Moose

#14 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:59 PM

I fly regularly and just returned from a West Coast swing. While I would posture on the side of 'not feeling any safer' by given testimony to my mothers maiden name and a blood swatch of my first born, I am more intrigued by the number of people that continue to try to take said liquids through security let alone remove their shoes to pass through the damn x-ray machine!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#15 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:52 PM

This will never happen again because the passengers of the plane would never let it happen again. FWIW, they could have 5 people with large knives try to take over the plan, they would have 200 people tearing them apart as soon as they stood up.

So, how does not letting me take a nail clipper or bottle of water on a plane help? Oh, BTW, you can buy BOTH those items in the in gift shop right before you board the plane!

I remember how I felt BEFORE 9/11 when I flew. I often joked about how lax security (and I use the term lightly!) was. The flights now are not safer, because they take knitting neddles away from old ladies and they do not search young Arab men (because you don't want to be racist) is counter to security.

Moose, you raise some very good points. You're probably right about it not happening again, at least in the same manner as it did on 9-11. In fact, a woman with whom I was friends in college was on board Flight 93; I realize that passengers would fight back. However, with the heightened security, it would make it harder for it to happen with a slightly different M.O.

I also agree with you that political correctness has no place in screening, although I should remind you that the biggest terrorist act committed in the U.S. prior to 9-11 was the Oklahoma City bombing, which was perpetrated by Timothy McVeigh, a corn-fed midwestern boy. Let's watch the Arab males between 20-30, but let's not focus so hard that we exclude other potential terrorists.

Best,
Rick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users