• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Palau WOW

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 16 March 2007 - 07:10 PM

FavoritePalauTurtle.jpg SPOILER WARNING: Do NOT read this report unless you plan to go to Palau in the future. Pre-dive SCUBA traumatic stress disorder may occur if you can't ever make this trip and know what you're missing.

ASPCSD Notice: No divers were harmed during 7 days of diving, eating and drinking.

SCUBA police warning: What happens in Palau, stays in Palau.

Poorly educated fish spotter at work:My fish identification skills are extremely poor. Most days I can tell big fish from small ones. I have also pointed out coral that I thought looked like a nudibranch - causing one experienced diver to lose buoyancy control, spew regulator and ingest significant seawater while recovering from laughing spasm.

Getting there:
The adventure begins with the trip to Palau. Situated 900 miles SW of Guam, you're looking at 17 hours of flying if you live on the West coast. From Dallas, it was 22 hours door to door, but those who live in Houston would not have to take the puddle jumper from DFW to IAH.

Accomodations: West Plaza Malakal - Very nice, nothing fancy, but plenty of hot/cold water, AC and just a short walk to the pier. Bring your travel alarm cuz the electricity drops off several times per day/night - and their alarms do NOT have a battery backup. Slow internet ($1 per 15 minutes) and no cell phone coverage for our US models. Phone cards are $10 for 30 minutes.

Things to do: Sashimi for $5 for a huge platter in many bars and restaurants. Plenty of restaurants, night club reports will have to come from someone else. Proper Mai Tais are challenging to find, but a suitable substitute is the Blue Shark, topped with 151 rum. Actually, it is not much like a Mai Tai, but who cares after 5-6 of them? For the advanced divers, there are abundant supplies of tequila and shot glasses.

Kayaking, dolphin experiences and land tours are also available. There is a wonderful spa where we decided to spend our last day/no dive day getting exfoliated and other exotic treatments.

Dive operator: Keith Santillano is a great guy who has been there for 17 years, along with his SO / DM / Photo goddess. He gave much thought to what we wanted to do, and planned the dives knowing the currents/tides and other factors that would maximize our experience.

Running out to the sites was a nice morning drive - about an hour. Returning in the afternoon was sometimes a real filling loosener when the wind kicked up 2-4 foot swells and whitecaps. There are lots of small islands enroute, so the current/tide/wind combinations would create some fun rides.

After a thorough brief, even at repeat sites, we'd gear up and go. Keith takes a conservative approach without being a dictator, let SOME of us get 70+ minute runtimes (if only I had brought doubles :birthday: ) always worked it so we ended the dive in a nice shallow spot to off-gas while touring the top of the reef. He brought EAN32 for some of us, which I used for all but a couple of dives that were either real deep or real shallow. You can also get 100cf tanks if your SAC is even worse than mine.

Lunch on board was a choice of Philippino lumpia, sandwiches, bento (beef, chicken or fish) and probably anything else you'd like. Between dives they were awesome. On shore, they'd probably be like better than MREs.

Wednesday - Day One:
Big Dropoff - 79' 1:01 81F
Beautiful soft corals and sea fans. Lots (technical term roughly equivalent to bazillions) of small guys (pyramid butterfly fish?). Keith showed us the unusual square spot anthias (males) and the dull orange female equivalents. The coral varieties included green tree corals, sea fans, tube corals, and sponges. Saw a couple of deep sharks cruising along and some other big fish.

Too ensure perfect diving, no DCS, lots of fish of every variety and ample supplies of tequila, I elected to sacrifice my mask to Neptune at the site as we took off our gear to board. A team player all the way. If you want to look, it's in about 2000' at the NE corner of the wall.

Blue Corner - 65' :52 80F
The signature dive. Note we repeated almost every day. It's situated at the SW corner of the lagoon, and the tip splits the Philippine Sea from the Pacific Ocean. Huge upwells from deep water bring most of the food chain into one spot for continuous feasting. No one leaves hungry.

We started from the Northwest end and cruised across the plateau to hook in on the East side. The "hook" is simply a fishhook-shaped piece of steel tied on to a 7-8' nylon line with a snap ring on the other end to connect to a D-ring. You just find a little outcropping of rock, set the hook end and put a little air into your bcd. The current holds you up and away from the reef and you have both hands free to applaud or shoot pictures.

I've seen "schools" of barracuda before, but you could see through the group, and count individuals - a big school might have 20 fish. Here, we're literally talking thousands of black spotted barracuda. Incredible. Equal numbers of Big Eye Travally. White tips and Grays were on patrol - we probably saw 10-15 sharks per minute - I think some were repeats, as they'd cruise back and forth. Wow. Double wow.

Thursday - Day Two:
German Channel - 61' :54 81F
A natural channel expanded by the Germans during their "administration" 18xx - 1914. There is a big cleaning station where mantas are regularly spotted. No exception on this trip. "Rosa's Manta" showed up on schedule and paraded around for us. I also saw and even got a picture of a small octopus squeezed into a rock. A few whitetips - and lots of small thingys.
Rosa__s_manta.jpg
New Dropoff - 86' :56 86F
Three small corners on a nice wall. LOTS of action - we could see sharks at our level (85 - 60) and down deeper in the shadows there were more sharks cruising. Huge "schools" of jack/barracuda/travally (school seems so inappropriate - so small - maybe we should switch to "districts" to give a better name).

Friday - Day Three:
Blue Hole - 88' :56 81F
This was truly spectacular. There are four holes on top of the reef that all drop down and join into one very large cavern. The bottom underneath the holes begins at 80' and is as deep as 140'. The cavern is very big but the best spot is the ceiling watching the little guys flitting around upside down. We had our choice of windows to leave by - we went through the 70' one and out along the wall and on to Blue Corner (see Day Two)

Blue Corner - 67' :51 81F
See Day Two - still awesome, still swarming.

Saturday - Day Four:
SCHEDULED NO DIVE DAY - are you kidding? We kept diving. Repeated Blue Corner (68' :54 81F) and New Drop Off (76' 1:01)

Sunday - Day Five:
Turtle Cove - 74' :44 84F - Gorgeous wall that starts with a short swim through down a hole and out onto the wall. Saw a few sharks cruising and lots of black snapper, trevally, barracuda. Also enjoyed my first case of daytime vertigo. Trying to look at some little guy and the surge pushed me into the wall. "bubbles always rise" seemed like a good plan, so after awhile I got my head back on and continued after sucking down 500# or so that I really would have liked to have had back.

New Drop Off - 64' :48 82F - hooked in here to watch the show. It looked like the same Napoleon wrasse that cuddled up to us at blue corner was here - but probably a different guy (girl?).

Chandelier Cave - 28' :27 86F - Interesting dive close by the docks for Sam's tours. Entry at 15', and about 3 kicks to the first of 4 chambers where you can surface and enjoy the gorgeous limestone stalactites and crystal formations. A few little critters, and of course the little mandarin fish in the harbor. A beautiful little guy, that only Keith could find in the shallow hard coral formations.

Monday - Day Six:
Blue Hole - 138' :40 84F - We decided to do an air dive to the bottom since we'd seen some bigger stuff down there on our earlier visit to this spectacular site. Went to the bottom window, and poked around (I headed up when I was within 4 min of ndl). Our large friends weren't around, but SOME of us saw the small stuff. I tried to get a shot of the windows looking up from the bottom, but the viz was on the low side, and my dream pictures didn't turn out.

Blue Corner - 64' :48 82F - See previous write-up - just more sharks, more trevalli, more dogtooth tuna, more black mackeral, more barracuda.

Helmet Wreck - 92' :44 85F - In the inner harbor real close to the pier. Interesting undocumented wreck that appeared to be an accident rather than a result of US air attack. Name comes from the stacks of helmets that are part of the cargo - along with gas masks, depth charges, radial engines, and other detritus. She lies upright with the stern in about 100' of water and sloping up to the bow which is around 50' A good deal of life, a lionfish, two pipe fish and the usual other small suspects. The water was pretty cloudy, but we were there late in the day, and followed a larger group of divers.

Tuesday - Day Seven:
Ulong Channel - 54' 1:01 86F - a natural cut through the reef, and although we were there 3 hours before high tide, the current was running seaward, so we dropped mid channel and worked our way out, then followed the wall to the north with the prevailing current for another half-mile or so. Saw some cool feeding anemones in the channel, an eel and some cucumbers. Afterwards, since we dropped to seaward and missed it, some of us did a free dive to 35' to check out a couple of giant clams.

Met a few black tips swimming towards the lagoon, a turtle, woke a couple of sleeping white tips and several anemones with their resident anemone fish. One really cool coral area(Cabbage Coral) each having a fish or two in residence. Also saw many (1 is too many) aggressive triggerfish, and quite a few grouper getting worked up for some mating.

Siaes Tunnel - Siaes Corner - 116' 1:06 83F A two-for-one for us since we had a great current we got one of the best dives on our last dive. Siaes tunnel is on the western side of the atoll, in a vertical wall on the Philippine Sea side. The tunnel is about 50' high, and cuts through a corner of the wall - we went in the southern entrance and headed north - you can see from one end to the other, and I'm guessing it's about 100-150 yards. Top is at 90', bottom at the southern end around 140. It slopes up south to north, so the exit bottom is around 110. We saw a school of bigeye trevally when we entered, and the cool little dartfish hanging around upside down on the overhead of the tunnel.

We left the tunnel and continued drifting north and ascending - finishing close to a mile or more north in shallow reef. More shark parade, trevally, more wall/table reef life - a great finish to a great set of diving.

Hopefully, the experts (Rosa, Nicolle & Mitch) will chime in with more details, and especially the truth on species.

Edited by Capn Jack, 31 March 2007 - 07:02 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 March 2007 - 08:09 PM

Oh WOW!!! Where are the pictures???

This sounds WONDERFUL!!! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 17 March 2007 - 02:44 PM

Very cool-thanks for sharing!!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#4 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 March 2007 - 05:29 PM

Ah yeah... my manta :wakawaka: :wakawaka: :wakawaka:

Still in a state of exhaustion after that trip, gettiing back to work, and preparing for the next trip. Will post more when I resurface properly.

Very briefly, Palau was great except for the boat rides... Keith was awesome!!! Incredible sea life. And yes, the Mandara spa was wonderful too. It was very nice meeting and diving with Nicolle and Michiko, and diving with the two gentlemen (and I mean gentlemen) I already knew, Scott and Mark. Mark, great review so far. More later!!!!

Rosa
German_Channel_and_New_Drop_Off___14.jpg

#5 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 17 March 2007 - 07:11 PM

BlueHole.jpg
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#6 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:32 AM

Nice report!!!
Known puker

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:15 PM

I'M NOT WORTHY! I'M NOT WORTHY! Mark, hats and beanies off to you for such an EXCELLENT dive report!!! When I have a chance to get back on my feet I'll try to add what I can, but quite honestly I enjoyed reading your report and what I will add will be meager in comparison!

What an absolute pleasure it was to visit Palau and to meet and dive with Mark, Michiko, Rosa, and Scott. Keith, our dive operator, was A++++. Hands down one of the best operators due to his site knowledge, local knowledge, dive experience, operator experience, style, environmentalism, and more. It was like diving with an old friend.

Simply put Palau was a sensory overload.

(side note - I caught a nasty bug a couple days after returning from Palau, lost my voice, and have been down for the count. I am at work responding to emails and then headed home to bed.)
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#8 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:33 PM

Sounds like an absolutely amazing trip!

Sorry to hear you got sick Nicolle. Now get home, rest up and start feeling better!

#9 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:04 AM

DG ~ Get well quickly. I can't wait to get together and hear more about Palau.
:P for coming back.. I was worried that you might elect to stay.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#10 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:45 AM

Oh Nicolle, so sorry you caught something. At least better after the diving right!!! Get well soon. Yeah, I think Mark did it all (as far as a great and humorous trip report. I suck at those).

My only additional comments were I think Siaes corner, Blue Corner, Ulong Channel, German Channel, Blue hole, Jake's plane..... shoot.. I WAS trying to list my favorite (singular) dive!!! Difficult.. all great. Jelly fish lake was also great, once I got my heart rate down from 200 after that climb to get there. Keith certainly delivered everyday. The only thing we did not see were the darn cuttlefish, but he tried!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users