• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Nitrox Compatible Dive Computers

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:59 PM

Based on a wide variety of factors, the only multi-gas computer (if you REALLY want one) that I would recommend is the VR3. Nothing else on the market can do what it can do.

#17 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:01 PM

OK, here is my 2 cents...

I have a hoseless Suunnto Vytec. Got it for a true bargain on a dive trip to Bali 4 years ago ($570 total wrist + transmitter.)

I use it hoselessly with any problems, (since I learned how to sync it correctly), but initially did have some times where it did not sync and cursed it for that. I have always used a separate SPG (the smallest one there is) as a backup with it. Since I learned to correctly sync, I have no problems with this feature at all. It can handle 3 gas mixes (not that I will ever use the third one), and has nice large numbers and easy to read display.

I, for one, would never dive off only tables again. As I am not an exceedingly fit 20 year old male, and never do square shaped profiles, they are not really applicable to me as a dive plan. I think using a computer is essential and an appropriate way to plan and execute recreational diving. That way, you don't just sheeple along after the DM on repetitive dives, and instead use your computer to plan the next dive and to monitor your specific profile. Using the plan feature is easy and you can adjust your surface interval as needed.

As an UW photographer, the Vytec hoseless model had one feature that is superb. It calculates "air time remaining" at current depth and breathing rate. While I take this as a "suggestion" of my air time remaining, it is so much easier to look at just one place to know the depth, No deco time remaining or (deco time to do), tank pressure AND air time remaining. For me this reduces the risk of running out of air, and I have seen this happen to others engrossed in their camera/subject).

That was my 2 cents....

Again. It's all personal preference as to what you think are the important features.....

#18 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:09 PM

I have two Suuntos, a Vytec and a Mosquito. I have been happy with both. I think I prefer the Suuntos to the Aeriss that I have seen. I have not used a Cochran. I do have the hoseless transmitter on my Vytec but also use a brass and glass SPG.

#19 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:28 PM

I am diving an Aeris Atmos AI. I have been diving it for a few years.

It does the job but I am thinking I should have gone to a wrist mounted computer w/o an attatched compass.

One more thing to add to my changing out of gear list.

Edited by gis_gal, 22 March 2007 - 02:29 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#20 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:43 PM

I am diving an Aeris Atmos AI. I have been diving it for a few years.

It does the job but I am thinking I should have gone to a wrist mounted computer w/o an attatched compass.

One more thing to add to my changing out of gear list.

I am a fan of the SK-7 compass, so I wouldn't recommend a console based compass unless you happened to be using a Suunto model computer. You might consider just getting an SK-7 and ignoring the one you have if it can't be conveniently removed.

#21 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:59 PM

Suunto vyper has served me well. In cold, warm, muck or clear water. Has the functions I need and is conservative the way I like to dive.

Which end is up?

#22 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:01 PM

I was very happy with my wrist mounted Aeris Atmos II - why and necessity are one list:
1. simple
2. Large display
3. Does Nitrox
4. User replaceable battery
5. Calculates and displays deco in case I screw up
6. Reasonable price ($300)

The only draw back was no instructional booklet in German, right? :P

TAUCHEN!!

Fühlen Sie den Drang zu untertauchen?

DER PlatypusMan
...Sparky wundert sich, wenn es Jahreszeit noch verbindet...

#23 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:55 PM

The only draw back was no instructional booklet in German, right? :unsure:

TAUCHEN!!

Sich erinnern, vier ist ein zu viele.

And now, I even have to find out I own a mixed gas computer that has no real value in the real world of real divers. I am so ashamed.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#24 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:59 PM

The only draw back was no instructional booklet in German, right? :unsure:

TAUCHEN!!

Sich erinnern, vier ist ein zu viele.

Not for Sparky, but then...never mind.

And now, I even have to find out I own a mixed gas computer that has no real value in the real world of real divers. I am so ashamed.

I must have missed some of the back story on this. Which world? Which divers?

...and is it in Metric or Imperial that all this occurs?

PlatypusMan

#25 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:42 PM

I use a wrist-mounted Aeris Atmos2 and have been exceedingly happy with it. I am hard on just about everything and it has stood up to my punishment for years, and still on the original battery. Upsides: intuitive (for me, anyway), big numbers, bar graphs (that's how my brain works). Downsides: the download software is maddeningly worthless. But I keep a paper log, so.....
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#26 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

Thx for the great responses! :diver:

I have not looked into computers in person yet, but based on the responses here, I'm reckoning the Aeris Atmos 2 may be the one for me! (I definitely want a wrist mount computer, and do not require downloadability -- I log dives on paper.)

#27 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

I do like my Aeris computer. I just wish I would have bought a wrist mounted one.

It is very easy to read and use.

Edited by gis_gal, 25 March 2007 - 08:46 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#28 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:22 AM

You can order the wrist boot from Aeris if you want to make the switch.

Also, check out the DVD from Hammerhead Press on choosing and using dive computers:
http://hammerheadpress.com/
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#29 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:36 PM

So it seems I've narrowed down my computer search to the Aeris Atmos 2 (although it's no longer in production), Aeris XR-2 (Atmos 2's replacement) and the Oceanic VEO 180 (apparently it's almost identical to the Atmos 2).

A couple of questions first...

1. Has anyone seen the XR-2 in person? Apparently, the display is slightly smaller than the Atmos 2 which may be a problem, but no one has been able to tell me just how much smaller (including both Aeris Canada and US). But on the plus side, the menu order is more user friendly than the Atmos 2.

2. Regardless of which computer I get, can I *bungee* it rather than use the wrist boot?

And just to clarify...

3. When people write of transmitters and hoseless units and such, is this simply referring to the fact that their computer is able to read the tank's pressure/air content? (I have a shiny, new SPG so this feature is not a consideration for me.)

TIA! :P

#30 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:28 PM

So it seems I've narrowed down my computer search to the Aeris Atmos 2 (although it's no longer in production), Aeris XR-2 (Atmos 2's replacement) and the Oceanic VEO 180 (apparently it's almost identical to the Atmos 2).

A couple of questions first...

1. Has anyone seen the XR-2 in person? Apparently, the display is slightly smaller than the Atmos 2 which may be a problem, but no one has been able to tell me just how much smaller (including both Aeris Canada and US). But on the plus side, the menu order is more user friendly than the Atmos 2.

2. Regardless of which computer I get, can I *bungee* it rather than use the wrist boot?

And just to clarify...

3. When people write of transmitters and hoseless units and such, is this simply referring to the fact that their computer is able to read the tank's pressure/air content? (I have a shiny, new SPG so this feature is not a consideration for me.)

TIA! :P

Re: 1 I don't know so I'll leave that for someone else to answer.

Re: 2 You can bungee any type of boot rather than use a strap, but I think what you are really asking is whether the unit can go into one of the standard boot sizes so you can replace the boot with one intended for bungees in the first place. Assuming the unit you pick is one of the standard sizes, this should work but newer models seem to be moving away from the standard hockey puck format. If your computer is not a convenient size you'll need to take the wrist strap off and either run the bungee through the space for the strap or poke some extra holes in the boot for the bungee.

Also you might want to just try it with the strap before going the bungee route. The real benefit of the bungee is so the bungee can take up the slack when your exposure suit compresses. This is more of an issue in cold water or with dry suits. As I recall you are mostly doing warm water diving so before you go poking holes in the boot for your shiny new computer you might want to try it the way it comes to you. If it gets loose at depth, you need the bungee approach.

I hope that is clearer than it sounds.

Re: 3 The hoseless computers stuff is for the gas pressure as you correctly guessed. There are also a few models that can handle multiple transmitters connected to tanks with different gasses. Unless you are getting into deco diving this won't be important and most of the deco divers I know stick with the SPG unless they are going closed circuit, which is another whole discussion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users