• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Nitrox Compatible Dive Computers

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Seahorsewrangler

Seahorsewrangler

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW - NITROX
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

I use an Oceanic Veo 200..have 2 actually and I like them.
AKA Cap'n Sam Roughknuckles The Bernese mountain dog

#32 netmage

netmage

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:37 PM

Aeris and Oceanic are brands of the same parent - so you'll see alot of similarities between the lines.... One geared towards LDS's, the other more value oriented and available for mass online sales.

Personally I have,.....
Uwatec AIR Z Nitrox, 2 Uwatec Bottom Timers, a Uwatec TECG2 just back from warantee replacement still in the box.
A Suunto Vytec, and a VR3

For most recreational dives - I use the Vytec. If I'm planning on helium, or multiple gasses, I take the VR3 and put the Vytec in guage mode so I have a contiguous log somewhere - I lost my logbook a while ago and I'm not big on writing down details. I'll probably start a new one when I finish Full Cave so I can track status towards Wakulla and equiv. awards.

When I was first starting out - I loved the AIRZ... but when I got into more advanced diving (not even tech at this point) - I realized it was a big crutch w/ the air integrated transmitter. It really allowed me to mentally zone out when it came to dive planning... Jump in - when one of the counters nears zero - head up.

Compared to some of the Oceanic/Areis models, the VR3 and Vytec are very conservative. One of my regular buddies dives an older Oceanic will have 10 minutes of BT on similar profiles and mixes. Not a major concern for me - I have no problem going into deco. But having prior DCS history - I prefer to dive the conservative algorithm or do other things to push the curve in my favor like runing a single gas on the algo, but taking 50% or O2 for general cleanup.

-Tim
"I aim to misbehave...."

#33 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 09:28 PM

Re: 2 You can bungee any type of boot rather than use a strap, but I think what you are really asking is whether the unit can go into one of the standard boot sizes so you can replace the boot with one intended for bungees in the first place. Assuming the unit you pick is one of the standard sizes, this should work but newer models seem to be moving away from the standard hockey puck format. If your computer is not a convenient size you'll need to take the wrist strap off and either run the bungee through the space for the strap or poke some extra holes in the boot for the bungee.

Also you might want to just try it with the strap before going the bungee route. The real benefit of the bungee is so the bungee can take up the slack when your exposure suit compresses. This is more of an issue in cold water or with dry suits. As I recall you are mostly doing warm water diving so before you go poking holes in the boot for your shiny new computer you might want to try it the way it comes to you. If it gets loose at depth, you need the bungee approach.

I hope that is clearer than it sounds.

Thx for the response, Geek! I haven't seen any instruments outside of their *packaging* (wrist mounted or consoled) so I wasn't sure what all was involved. I was thinking I could order the Atmos 2 console from ScubaToys, lose the console and bungee the computer, but it seems I still need a boot for it.

#34 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 11 May 2007 - 01:33 AM

Re: 2 You can bungee any type of boot rather than use a strap, but I think what you are really asking is whether the unit can go into one of the standard boot sizes so you can replace the boot with one intended for bungees in the first place. Assuming the unit you pick is one of the standard sizes, this should work but newer models seem to be moving away from the standard hockey puck format. If your computer is not a convenient size you'll need to take the wrist strap off and either run the bungee through the space for the strap or poke some extra holes in the boot for the bungee.

Also you might want to just try it with the strap before going the bungee route. The real benefit of the bungee is so the bungee can take up the slack when your exposure suit compresses. This is more of an issue in cold water or with dry suits. As I recall you are mostly doing warm water diving so before you go poking holes in the boot for your shiny new computer you might want to try it the way it comes to you. If it gets loose at depth, you need the bungee approach.

I hope that is clearer than it sounds.

Thx for the response, Geek! I haven't seen any instruments outside of their *packaging* (wrist mounted or consoled) so I wasn't sure what all was involved. I was thinking I could order the Atmos 2 console from ScubaToys, lose the console and bungee the computer, but it seems I still need a boot for it.

The computer is usually hard plastic that you don't want to touch as it is watertight. It is held in a hard rubber console or boot made that grips the computer. The bungee attaches to the boot. I use these, but they are not available in sizes for every computer:

https://www.deepseas...ory=instruments

For other computers, you would need to drill holes in the existing boot or make something of your own design. It used to be that most of the computers were designed to be the size and shape of the earlier bottom timers so they could all fit the same holes in consoles, so most of them were the same size and shape. Lately a lot of the new models are departing from that format. The innovation is probably a good thing in the long run, but in the short run it means more tinkering to get things to fit with each other.

I would not recommend drilling a bunch of holes in your shiny new computer boot until you try it once. If you find it sliding around on your wrist, then you need to do something like the bungee. If it is secure with the mount provided, just enjoy it. The bungees are intended to deal with the fact that the factory straps often are not elastic enough to stay secure with the expanding and shrinking of cold water exposure suits. If yours remains secure, you don't need to do anything.

Edited by Geek, 11 May 2007 - 01:35 AM.

#35 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:04 PM

I would not recommend drilling a bunch of holes in your shiny new computer boot until you try it once. If you find it sliding around on your wrist, then you need to do something like the bungee. If it is secure with the mount provided, just enjoy it. The bungees are intended to deal with the fact that the factory straps often are not elastic enough to stay secure with the expanding and shrinking of cold water exposure suits. If yours remains secure, you don't need to do anything.

Thx again, Geek! :birthday: I ordered the Aeris XR-2 with a wrist mount (for a shockingly good price for Canada! :)) so my original question about bungeeing a boot may be moot. :welcome: Mind you, I still like the ease of sliding a bungeed computer on and off as opposed to fiddling with a buckle. We'll see...

#36 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 14 May 2007 - 06:48 AM

Thx again, Geek! :birthday: I ordered the Aeris XR-2 with a wrist mount (for a shockingly good price for Canada! :)) so my original question about bungeeing a boot may be moot. :welcome: Mind you, I still like the ease of sliding a bungeed computer on and off as opposed to fiddling with a buckle. We'll see...

annasea,

Do you also dive with a watch? I ask as when I bought my Aeris Atmos 2, kind Mr. Walter showed me that wearing a wrist mount on the opposite wrist of a watch makes the computer very accessible when doing a safety stop. Just a thought!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#37 scubagalpal

scubagalpal

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2500 +

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:39 AM

I'm getting in on this a little late but thought I'd weigh in anyways.

I've dove with a console mount Aeris Atmos II for years and have been very happy with it except for one feature. That is while diving on liveaboards using 32% Notrox at 5 dives/day, I was maxing out on the O2 loading graph after 2 1/2 days of diving. Plotted on paper, this did not seem an accurate reflection of my O2 loading. The liveaboard situation was the only place this impacted me. (The only other drawback was that I also found the software on the useless side.)

I since bought a wrist mount DiveRite 2-gas NiTek Plus and was using both computers simultaneously. I found the Dive Rite to be much more conservative on the N2 loading but it tolerated the O2 loading on liveaboards fairly well. I was OK with the N2 conservatism; my only complaint with the Dive Rite was that many areas were difficult for this "visually challenged" individual to read. Thus, this one will be going on e-bay soon.

I've since moved to a 2 gas Cocrhan EMC-16 that I got through our SD connections and I really like it. Easy to read, good back light, everything is user programmable so it's very flexible.

I've never been a fan of air integrated computers. If my battery should die during a dive, I certainly want to know how much air I have. I know this can start a whole storm of controversy in and of itself, but that's my own personal preference.

I think you've made a good choice, Annasea, for a starter computer. It's a very easy computer to use. I t turns itself on if you forget to; it can be set to remember the mix of Nitrox you were using so you don't have to reset this between each dive, and it's easy to read. You can't go wrong with the simple red light- green light graph. Now get some dives on it! :cool1:

#38 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 06:38 PM

Do you also dive with a watch? I ask as when I bought my Aeris Atmos 2, kind Mr. Walter showed me that wearing a wrist mount on the opposite wrist of a watch makes the computer very accessible when doing a safety stop. Just a thought!

I don't understand... doesn't the computer count down your safety stop for you? :usflag:

<snip> Now get some dives on it! :diver:

Yes, ma'am! :D And thanks for all the input, scubagalpal! :)

#39 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 16 May 2007 - 04:16 AM

I don't understand... doesn't the computer count down your safety stop for you? :usflag:

Normally you would wear a watch on your left wrist, especially if you are right handed. This location is often taken by a wrist mounted slate or compass. As a result, wrist mounted computers are often worn on the right wrist.

Edited by Geek, 16 May 2007 - 04:17 AM.

#40 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 16 May 2007 - 06:15 AM

Alot of people use a watch as a back-up timing device. I also use my watch to extend my safety stop at 15'; my Vyper times it at 3 mins, but I like to do one for 5 mins (or longer) if I've been below a certain depth. A watch allows me to do that easily

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users