• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2nd Stage on a necklace...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

I think a lot of people in that situation use the large port for the backup reg (on a short hose), and then put the long hose on one of the normal-sized ports.

I plug the port on my ATX200 or use a adapter (I know... knot DIR) so I can use "stock" hoses in my singles rig.

I made the mistake of ordering 5 when I got them... so I have plenty of spares laying around if ya want one.

Edited by netmage, 17 April 2007 - 10:50 AM.

"I aim to misbehave...."

#17 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:49 AM

Your best line of defense for both those situations (OxTox or LOC) is an attentive, properly trained buddy. Most divers are in no position to help themselves if something like that happens.

Maybe second... 1st line is planning mod and gas....

Good point - an ounce of prevention and all that. I was stating more from the standpoint of "once it has happened".
Will DIR for food!

#18 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 April 2007 - 10:47 AM

I figure that I have a case of oxtox, most likely my time is up. That is why I am conservative on my bottom mix MOD's. I have gone so far as to switch back to a lighter mix on deco and do longer deco because I didn't feel right on the deco gas for whatever reason.

I think of our discussions on oxtox much like when we mentioned escape hoods on the submarines that I was stationed on. They were there to give us an outside shot at survival, but if we needed them our chances were running pretty darn slim already.

I have to agree with Netmage that most incidents are more easily prevented by proper planning than by dealing with in casualty mode (as he says the second line of defense). Casualty mode works as sometimes things occur that just cannot be anticipated. But, it isn't the first line of defense.

Back to the orginal topic for me :lmao: .... I run my necklace reg as my back-up. The long hose is what gets handed off when I see that my buddy has problems. I have also been known to clip off my long hose just prior to getting on the boat (after deco is done) and switch to my necklace reg to climb the boat ladder as that leaves one less hose to fall and get a reg banged around on a rough climb up the ladder.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#19 netmage

netmage

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:38 PM

Back to the orginal topic for me :lmao: .... I run my necklace reg as my back-up. The long hose is what gets handed off when I see that my buddy has problems. I have also been known to clip off my long hose just prior to getting on the boat (after deco is done) and switch to my necklace reg to climb the boat ladder as that leaves one less hose to fall and get a reg banged around on a rough climb up the ladder.

This also insures the reg gets used at least sometimes - other than dry breathing on the boat..... I'd rather not find myself sucking sea water in the middle of a real emergency...
"I aim to misbehave...."

#20 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:55 PM

I plug the port on my ATX200 or use a adapter (I know... knot DIR) so I can use "stock" hoses in my singles rig.

I made the mistake of ordering 5 when I got them... so I have plenty of spares laying around if ya want one.

I may take you up on that. Are you going to be on any of the SD trips in NC this summer? I'm hoping to make at least one. Maybe we can meet up and have a little gear swap then.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#21 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:46 PM

I like to wear diamonds on my necklace.
:canuckdiver:

#22 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:23 PM

They say Diamonds are a girls best friend
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#23 overseas

overseas

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Board Status:im here
  • Cert Level:Full Cave
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:27 PM

I run a seven foot long hose off my right post (I dont have a rig for singles anymore but this can be done on a single reg.). It loops down behind my light can on my right waist up across my chest toward my left shoulder, behind my neck and into my mouth. Notice I did not say "Around" my neck. My back up is run off my left post on a short hose (22inches long at most). This is stored around my neck by a bungie. This is not an Octo by anymeans. It is a backup, for me! I put it on first before I route my long hose. There for there is nothingin the way if I need to deploy the long hose for an out of gass diver. I dont belive there is much of a problem of a diver snatching the reg form my mouth and choking me on my long hose. It is simple and fast to deploy when done right and with a small amount of practice.

Chris-

#24 Student Diver

Student Diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 25 April 2007 - 07:52 PM

I run a seven foot long hose off my right post (I dont have a rig for singles anymore but this can be done on a single reg.). It loops down behind my light can on my right waist up across my chest toward my left shoulder, behind my neck and into my mouth. Notice I did not say "Around" my neck. My back up is run off my left post on a short hose (22inches long at most). This is stored around my neck by a bungie. This is not an Octo by anymeans. It is a backup, for me! I put it on first before I route my long hose. There for there is nothingin the way if I need to deploy the long hose for an out of gass diver. I dont belive there is much of a problem of a diver snatching the reg form my mouth and choking me on my long hose. It is simple and fast to deploy when done right and with a small amount of practice.

Chris-

I run a similar rig, except I use a single E8-130 with H-valve. Having dove with numerous buddies, I have run into a number of buddy's having equipment failure and running out of air. My experience is about half of the timethe first you know about the problem is when they yank your regulator out of your mouth. Nice to have the back-up nicely located under your chin.

Doug

#25 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 08:22 PM

I run a similar rig, except I use a single E8-130 with H-valve. Having dove with numerous buddies, I have run into a number of buddy's having equipment failure and running out of air. My experience is about half of the timethe first you know about the problem is when they yank your regulator out of your mouth. Nice to have the back-up nicely located under your chin.

Doug

You don't check your buddies pressure during the dive? Even with my most trusted buddies, we check each other's pressures at least 3 times during the dive. Once after the surface briefing, once when we hit depth, once about halfway through the intended bottom time, and once just before ascent or during the deeper part of the ascent.

This accomplishes a couple of things:

1. We know our tank pressures in the water after the tanks have cooled. This allows us to match gas for the dives.

2. We check pressure after descent to make sure we haven't "lostt gas" somewhere. Either by a leak, or by a particularly stressful descent, or some other issue. When diving with new buddies, this also shows me if they can handle basic taskloading such as hovering and checking gas and communicating clearly at the same time. If they cannot handle this, I might modify the dive or end it, depending on the plan.

3. If we intend to do an hour long bottom time, I'll check with everyone around half an hour in to make sure that we are breathing at a rate that I think we should. If someone is overbreathing badly, half the bottom time should allow enough reserve to turn the dive immediately and ascend.

4. Checking the gas on ascent gets me, and my buddies into good habits of making sure we understand what we are breathing and how much of it we have. In the move to decompression, this is critical.

I'm not trying to say you should be checking your buddies as often as we do, but a quick glance at their SPG, or a question to them mid-way through the dive is basic safety. Not doing this can easily put you both at risk.

Edited by PerroneFord, 25 April 2007 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users