• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SD Calender...

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Beefcake or Cheesecake...? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want to see a male or female version of a SD calendar?

1. Male (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Female (10 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

3. Male and Female (4 votes [17.39%])

Percentage of vote: 17.39%

4. None of the above (please select from below) (9 votes [39.13%])

Percentage of vote: 39.13%

Would you rather see natural underwater photos instead?

1. Yes (8 votes [34.78%])

Percentage of vote: 34.78%

2. No (15 votes [65.22%])

Percentage of vote: 65.22%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 pocahontas

pocahontas

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 06 June 2007 - 06:30 PM

brinybay

according to wiki the traditional Pin up isnt SP like your saying, but the problem is that pin up is very broadly defined (and also has been called cheesecake) and what is pin up to one person isnt to another.

I havent shot any pin-ups but the ones that i have editted where of the classic style similar to the ones used as nose art on aircraft, or ones similar to ones seen in the late 30's on wiki. beyond that i have seen more skin on recent fashion images then any pin-ups in the past ie the big hoopla about A&F's black and white campaign 2 years ago.

Tooth

I should probably back-pedal a bit. After all, I do have a "pin-up" type of hat pin that I wear proudly. It was styled after WWII aircraft nose art.

I happen to be a fan of that old WW2 era style pin-up art. Maybe we could dress up some SD babes in 40s-50s style bathing suits or something? Or there was that mermaid idea floating around....
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

#17 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 06 June 2007 - 07:17 PM

brinybay

according to wiki the traditional Pin up isnt SP like your saying, but the problem is that pin up is very broadly defined (and also has been called cheesecake) and what is pin up to one person isnt to another.

I havent shot any pin-ups but the ones that i have editted where of the classic style similar to the ones used as nose art on aircraft, or ones similar to ones seen in the late 30's on wiki. beyond that i have seen more skin on recent fashion images then any pin-ups in the past ie the big hoopla about A&F's black and white campaign 2 years ago.

Tooth

I should probably back-pedal a bit. After all, I do have a "pin-up" type of hat pin that I wear proudly. It was styled after WWII aircraft nose art.

I happen to be a fan of that old WW2 era style pin-up art. Maybe we could dress up some SD babes in 40s-50s style bathing suits or something? Or there was that mermaid idea floating around....

Pin-ups and aircraft nose art weren't always very modest. Some of it was rather risque. The hat pin I mentioned is a replica of actual aircraft nose art.

(Not safe for work)

Avenging Angel

My hat pin
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#18 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 07 June 2007 - 05:31 AM

Here are some Nose Art links.

History of Nose Art

Numerous Examples

Just goes to show even 60 years ago and 4,000 miles away from home; guys knew what was important in their lives... :thankyou:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#19 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 07 June 2007 - 07:28 AM

Heidi

that would be a good idea, maybe once the whole project idea gets settled we can work on the outfits.

as for the mermaid idea, that was a idea i had for a private shoot, but i haven't had time to develop the idea any further then a idea on my future shoot list. maybe if i can find some volunteers that, then cold work on the costumes.

Dan

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#20 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 10:34 PM

Actually, I was not thinking naked women with a snake or anything (Apologies to Nastassja Kinski). Could be pics off a dive boat, Happy Hour stuff, anything. No people at all if that is the popular vote...

Don't rule out naked to fast. The Vail Valley Charitable Fund has done Vail Undressed calendar for years. Everyone is naked but through the use of props or positions nothing is really seen. It is always tastefully done and it never ceases to amaze me who turns up each year. Some of the most conservative people in town sometimes are seen in the calendar.

http://www.vvcf.net/vailundressed.html

It is very cool calendar.

F

Edited by ev780, 07 June 2007 - 10:34 PM.

"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#21 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 08 June 2007 - 08:47 AM

Ev780

Interesting calendar, looks very well done

It wouldnt be the first time a implied calendar has been done pertaining to scuba. IE the forest pirates calendar out of the UK (BTW not work safe) but that calendar is tastefully done. Then there have been other shots show up on the internet that have been tastefully done including a group on one of the truk boats where a group of inspiration rebreather

the only problem with calendars using that theme is that american society seems to be very prudish on the matter, and isnt as accepting as european cultures to less then fully clothed people walking around.

Im mean even when tusa released its latest catalog at DEMA this past year by doing a more fashion style to the images I heard alot of grumbling that it was to over the top, to edgy, but i think it was a case of wishing they had done it first. Personally i would like to meet the photographer and Art Director that came up with that idea as thats one i would like to do something similar.

Its to the point that much doesn't surprise me any more photographically, from doing work for advertising agencies, doing editing of photographers images for clients, as well as my own projects over the years, well maybe except for joel peter witkin some of his work really creeps me out (FYI some of his work is very dark and definately not work safe IYKWIM). For me as long as there is plan and clear idea i will shot just about anything within reason.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#22 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, some people need to lighten up about the whole nudity thing. It is only a human body with parts that you were born with, it isn't offensive or evil or anything like that, it's just people...

That said, how about some shots by members on trips? Say u/w plus topside. Either have a panel that selects submitted photos, or put them in a thread and let people vote. Limit it to pics taken by members on SD trips.

The logistics would probably be a nightmare, but...

Edited by ScubaDrew, 16 June 2007 - 03:49 PM.

Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users