• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Times they are a changin'...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:47 PM

I keep meaning to post the news, but it has been a hectic week and weekend for me. Here's why:

I got a new job! :D :D :diver:

Starting June 25th, I will be the new Assistant Chief Engineer at a television station in Augusta, GA. Woo hoo! No more 150-mile drives just to go swap out a box the customer should have swapped out, no more lugging around ladders and test equipment, no more concrete blocks and 1.2 meter roof-mount satellite dishes, no more idiot of a supervisor. I'm so happy! :diver:

I found out about the opportunity a couple of weeks ago when I was at one of my TV stations doing some work. The new Chief mentioned that they were looking for someone to take his old job (Assistant Chief), and we talked a little about the qualifications and expectations they were looking for. It might as well have been custom-made for me. I sent him a resume a couple of days later, and a week after that we did the interview. Last Wednesday, he made the official offer, which I of course accepted.

It's an answer to prayer on a number of levels. It's a far better match for my skills and knowledge than my current job, they have a killer benefits package, and it's a great company to work for. And the $20,000/year pay raise didn't hurt any, either. :diver: All in all, it's the right deal at the right time. My mother said I'd be stupid to turn it down, to which I answered, "Well, my Mama didn't raise no fool..." ;)

And of course the best part is that I'm closer to Lakes Jocassee and Keowee, along with our South Carolina contingent. Perhaps I'll even finally make it to one of the SC DOMs now! :-)

Now I just have to start packing...

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:54 PM

:diver: Congradulations, my next job will be retirement and it will pay $20,000 less
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 JohnEric

JohnEric

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 10 June 2007 - 06:58 PM

good deal guy!
I just retired from the army this month after 27 years and signed on to be a civilan contractor for a year in Kabul Afganistan so it is time for a new adventure! At least for a year! Maldives here I come!
John Siggelow AKA Diver 1

#4 BoomhowerSpeaks

BoomhowerSpeaks

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:10

Posted 10 June 2007 - 08:10 PM

good deal guy!
I just retired from the army this month after 27 years and signed on to be a civilan contractor for a year in Kabul Afganistan so it is time for a new adventure! At least for a year! Maldives here I come!

Congrats on the TV job, it's always nice to get ahead.

John, how does that contracting stuff work? I've been thinking about doing that if I can't find a forestry job when I graduate.

#5 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 11 June 2007 - 06:55 AM

:) Congrats on your new job. Now it's my turn, right Ray? :diver:

#6 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:10 AM

:) :diver: Congratulations Jim!! :cool2: :diver:

Sounds like a great new job for you!

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:12 AM

Congrats, Jim, but jobs are highly over-rated. However, paychecks aren't!

#8 JohnEric

JohnEric

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Board Status:on
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:34 AM

good deal guy!

John, how does that contracting stuff work? I've been thinking about doing that if I can't find a forestry job when I graduate.

Well look at the websites for KBR, MPRI, and Haliburton as well as L3 Communicatrions and see if they are offering jobs in your field of expertice
John Siggelow AKA Diver 1

#9 BoomhowerSpeaks

BoomhowerSpeaks

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Logged Dives:10

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:40 AM

good deal guy!

Well look at the websites for KBR, MPRI, and Haliburton as well as L3 Communicatrions and see if they are offering jobs in your field of expertice

Thanks, I'm a trained bullet sponge :).

#10 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:31 PM

Thanks everybody! I'm pumped. My exit interview is tomorrow, and my pain-in-the-rear supervisor is taking back the van, laptop, and cellphone along with the tools and test equipment. He's welcome to 'em. I don't envy my replacement. :lmao:

I wonder if my supervisor would get the implication if I wore the t-shirt that my aunt gave me this Christmas. On the back it says "I'd like to help you but I just can't fix stupid." :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

Perhaps the old can-of-sardines-under-the-seat trick might be in order, too...

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#11 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

Congratulations, Jim! :D

#12 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

Thanks everybody! I'm pumped. My exit interview is tomorrow, and my pain-in-the-rear supervisor is taking back the van, laptop, and cellphone along with the tools and test equipment. He's welcome to 'em. I don't envy my replacement. :D

I wonder if my supervisor would get the implication if I wore the t-shirt that my aunt gave me this Christmas. On the back it says "I'd like to help you but I just can't fix stupid." :D :welcome: :lmao:

Cheers!

Jim

Under the seat is too easy...

You need to take one of the door panels off and hide them in there...

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#13 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:22 AM

Cheers!

Jim

Under the seat is too easy...

You need to take one of the door panels off and hide them in there...

Congrats on the job!

I have had more succes with a raw prawn in the aircon heater.

#14 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:05 AM

" Exit Interview "

Strange phrase for "here, sign this, and sign this, and initial this, and sign this...."

No matter how tempting, do not put the fish in the van. Exit politely. A few years from now when your ex-boss is gone they might realize they have a chance to do something to improve the situation..... and remember "that guy that left to go to a tv station".

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:51 AM

Congrats Jim...and I'll be part of the SC group you can come and join diving! Well after the new year that is...I'm moving to SC early next year!

I'm very proud of you...you are sooooooooo smart so its great to be recognized for your value and worth! Well at least some of if anyway! :thankyou:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users