• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Flower Gardens

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 zendiver

zendiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for all the compliments, but I really had little to do with it

uh huh.

i've never met such a humble eagle!

You have now my dear! ;)
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#32 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:30 PM

so does that mean you're gonna wear a burqua at your comp??

#33 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 12 July 2004 - 02:36 PM

Fabulous footage! I felt (wished) I was there! Thanks for sharing.

#34 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:01 PM

so does that mean you're gonna wear a burqua at your comp??

:lmao: He might if we both decide to show up there!! (psst, TF- ever heard of the 101st Airborne?) :dance:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#35 EbonyMermaid

EbonyMermaid

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:15

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:49 PM

EM, regarding diving the Flower Gardens, last I knew, there are weekday trips that run out there. Also, you do not have to be part of a group or bring a buddy. Finally, everyone pretty much dives on their own provided that they check out with the divemaster when they get in the water and check in when they get back on board. ZD might need to bring us up to speed but I doubt anything has changed since I went out there.

Posted ImageThanks Mitch, I've inquired a few times about weekday trips to the FG with no feed back, I appreciate you giving me something to go on.

#36 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:52 PM

Hey I was just talking to ZD about next's years dates....we'll be taking the entire boat next year...32 divers! Woo!!! Hoo!!! That will be awesome. As soon as we can lock the dates down we'll let you know so you ALL can start planning!

Our thought is doing either 4 days or 5 days which is two trips...either Thurs/Fri and Sat/Sun or Sat/Sun & Mon/Tues/Wed or we could do M-F which would be EASY to get the entire boat. Do you all have preference? -ww

I'd vote for one over a weekend so less time off from work. Then again I hate my job maybe I need more time off from work :thankyou:

#37 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:53 PM

Hey ZD. I understand it was a great trip. I am having troubles opening the video files. I will try again tonight. Let me know if your FG DVD will be available to the public. I am still looking at dates to come down there and dive.
Thanks again, by the way, for your continued support of the website (and keeping the ladies intrigued)
Murph

Edited by No Pressure, 12 July 2004 - 08:53 PM.

Diving; My zen space.

#38 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:14 PM

I'd vote for one over a weekend so less time off from work. Then again I hate my job maybe I need more time off from work :-D

Me too, meowman- there's only SO much work a gal can take off of in her first year.... :thankyou:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#39 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:28 PM

Me too, meowman- there's only SO much work a gal can take off of in her first year.... :thankyou:

Yep...just another reason why we are planning the blowout FG trip for NEXT year...so all you kitties can get time off from work!

P.S. Getting weekends will be tough but if we combine it with one of the weekday trips we should be able to get the entire boat. Won't that be awesome!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#40 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:40 PM

Purrrrfect!

#41 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:03 AM

Hey ZD. I understand it was a great trip. I am having troubles opening the video files. I will try again tonight. Let me know if your FG DVD will be available to the public. I am still looking at dates to come down there and dive.
Thanks again, by the way, for your continued support of the website (and keeping the ladies intrigued)
Murph

Hey Murph,

What kind of problem are you having? If you cannot open the video in the browser, then do this:

Right-click on the video image, then selects "Save Target As" and choose a place on your computer to save it to. This will actually save the file to your computer for viewing.

Let me know if you have any other problems.

-ZD

PS -- Looking forward to taking you and others out to my second home :birthday: Also, yes, the DVD will be available to ALL SD.com'ers
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#42 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:16 AM

:birthday:  Great report ZD. I've been wanting to go to the flower gardens for a long time, but I work on the weekends. Do they have trips during the week? Do you have to be a part of a group? Does the Dive Master lead the group or is it every man/woman for themselves? Do I have to bring a buddy?

EM - I am sorry, but I had thought I had answered these questions previously for you. If not, please accept my apology. Here is the information that you are inquiring about.

Question: Do they have trips during the week?
Answer: Yes we do. We have Monday thru Wedesday trips, Thursday - Friday trips and sometimes Monday thru Friday trips

Question: Do you have to be a part of a group?
Answer: Yes & No. To book a spot on a trip, you have to go through a dive shop. It does NOT have to be a dive shop that you are associtated with. It can be ANY shop that has a spot booked for that particular trip you are interested in. You simply find the date that you are interested in going on, look at the schedule on their website, and call one of those dive shops and tell them you want to go, then give the a cc number. That shop provides a trip leader that will cater to your needs and then the boat dive master makes sure everything else is taken care of. :wakawaka: So essentially, you are part of a group.

Question: Does the Dive Master lead the group or is it every man/woman for themselves?
Answer: The BOAT DM's provide surface support, so we don't get to dive with the customers. We dive in-between their dives. The trip leaders for the shops (minimium requirements are Dive Master or greater), dive with the customers, fix gear problems, help with any problem that occurs, and fill your tanks between dives.

Question: Do I have to bring a buddy?
Answer: NO. If you don't have a buddy, then they will hook you up with one, OR the boat DM's will make sure you are taken care of.

More Information -- FAQ about The Flower Gardens

How far is it?
110 miles south of the Texas/Louisiana border in approximately 350 ft of water.

How deep is the reef?
The reef caps are about 60 feet from the surface on all three banks. That's the very top, with the banks dropping off well past the reach of recreational divers.

What does it look like?
The West and East Banks of the Flower Gardens coral banks covered with 21 different species of coral-mostly hard corals, no fans or whips. Stetson is a clay bank with approximately 40% sponge cover and very few places for the fish to hide!

What will I see?
Over 200 species of fish, 250 species of invertebrates and 21 species of coral inhabit the Flower Gardens. Loggerhead turtles are year-round residents. In February and March, hammerhead sharks school on the banks, with the occasional spinner shark and tiger shark. In late summer around coral spawn time, whale sharks are frequently sighted. Other large pelagics include manta rays, eagle rays, southern and rough-tail stingrays, and occasionally spotted dolphins.

Diving:

Certification and age?
Divers must hold a minimum certification of open water or junior open water and be at least 12 years old. Call our office for documents necessary for unaccompanied minors.

How many dives?
2-day trip-potentially 7 dives. 3-day trip-potentially 11 dives.

Dive schedule?
Typical 2-day trip: 2 morning dives on the West Bank of the Flower Gardens. At lunch move to the East Bank and make 2 more day dives and 1 night dive. Move to Stetson Bank during the night and make 2 morning dives on Stetson before getting underway for Freeport. The near-shore rigs are all being removed, so the near-shore rig dive has been deleted from the schedule. We'll stop if we can find one and conditions permit. Minimum of 2 ½ hour surface interval between dives.

How are the dives conducted?
The boat divemasters will give a thorough briefing the night you board the boat, and tell you all about the in's and out's of diving off a large boat in the Gulf of Mexico. Site-specific briefings are conducted at each new dive site. The dive times are set by the boat crew, and will be approximately 7:00 am, 10:30 am, 2:00 pm, 5:30 pm and 9:00 pm on a 5-dive day. 4-dive days usually start at 8:00 am. 2 ½ hour surface intervals are mandatory, giving you plenty of time for meals, naps and sunbathing. Boat crew does not dive with the passengers, but instead is on deck during all dives to assist with entries and exits, as well as any surface assistance that is needed in-water. The trip leaders will be diving with the passengers. Divers are required to dive with a buddy.

Dive profiles?
The boat-imposed depth limit is 130 fsw for the first dive of the day ONLY, and 100 fsw for all subsequent dives. Dives must be planned within recreational limits-no planned-decompression dives are allowed. Within those parameters, buddy teams plan and execute their own dives. Dive times are set by the boat crew. Bottom times are limited only by your no-decompression limits, air consumption and common sense.

Entries and exits?
Entries are giant-stride off the port (sometimes starboard) side of the boat. It's about a 5 foot drop that looks a lot higher for you tall guys, but you'll be wet before you know it. Both boats have 2 ladders secured to the swim platform on the stern for your exit. Exits are made using lines from the ladders to remove your fins, then climbing the ladder with the rest of your gear in place. Camera lines are rigged for lowering and retrieving camera equipment.

Can I spearfish?
No spearfishing is allowed-possession of spearguns is not allowed within the Sanctuary boundaries. The dives are conducted within a marine sanctuary, so no collecting of any kind-live or dead-is allowed.

Can I go snorkeling?
You are welcome to go snorkeling during surface intervals, but please no free-diving. No snorkeling while we're underway, please.

Dive Gear:
Don't forget your log book and C-card!

Rental gear?
There is no rental gear or repair facility on board the boats. Divers need to bring everything with them they need to dive. Also bring your save-a-dive kits!

Air Tanks?
Each diver should bring one full cylinder. Both boats have one adapter to fill high-pressure DIN valves, but will only fill to 3000 psi-the boats do not do high-pressure fills. If you are bringing a cylinder larger or smaller in circumference than an aluminum 80, please bring a bungee cord to secure it-our tank racks are made for 7 ¼" tanks. Doubles are not allowed.
We have rental tanks available for divers traveling from out of town. Please let your dive shop know your air tank needs.

Nitrox Tanks?
Nitrox prices remain the same as last year and include tank rental. Personal nitrox tanks will be allowed, with the following requirements: the tank must be properly labeled, pointed out to and flagged by boat crew, filled with 32% EANx, and analyzed in front of a boat divemaster or Captain before getting underway. Only 32% EANx is allowed. There is no discount on the nitrox price for using a personal tank. Doubles are not allowed. Please let your dive shop know your nitrox tank needs.

Pony Bottles?
Pony bottles in use aboard the M/V Fling and M/V Spree are considered redundant safety equipment for emergency situations only. Pony bottles equipped as a redundant gas supply with first and second stage regulators will be filled once at the beginning of the charter if needed. Nitrox fills for pony bottles are $10. Please contact your dive shop or our office for the full pony bottle policy.

Weights?
Divers need to provide their own weight and weight belt. If coming from out of town, the boat is able to provide lead but needs to know approximately how much is needed in advance. There is always some lead on board for anyone who is a few pounds light.

Anything special?
Dive computers are highly recommended-all dives are deep and it's a lot of diving in a short amount of time. Computers help to maximize your bottom time. Surface signaling devices (See-me, safety sausage) and whistles or Dive-Alert's are also highly recommended. It's a big ocean. Gloves are allowed and many divers like to have them for handling the down-lines. Bring your lights (primary, back-up and tank marker) for night diving.

Personal Gear:

Luggage?
Dive gear is stored on the dive deck below the benches. Clothes and dry things are stored below your bunks in the berthing area, so it's best to pack in two separate bags.

Anything special?
Remember your towels! Bathing suits, shorts and t-shirts are the usual attire. Some people like to have sweats or a light jacket because we keep the boats pretty cool inside. Make sure you bring sunscreen, seasickness preventive, and any over-the-counter or prescription medications you will need during the trip.

Boarding:
Take your seasickness precautions early!

When should we get there?
The boats board at 8:30 pm the evening prior to the trip date, so you should arrive around 8:00 pm to unload your gear and get ready to board. We usually return to the dock between 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm on the last trip day.

Are bunks assigned?
No. Bunks are on a first-come, first-served basis at boarding time. Only the 2 double bunks take preference, and the divemasters will find out who would like them just before boarding.

Where do we park?
After you have unloaded your gear next to the dock, you will move your car to the other side of the levee in a large grass parking lot.

Boats:

How big?
100ft aluminum crew boats refit for diving in the Gulf. The boats have tank racks for each diver, large camera tables and camera rinse barrels, 2 boarding ladders with large swim platforms, and large sundecks.

How fast?
Both boats are powered by three 12V71 Detriot Diesel engines and run at a top speed of approximately 17 knots. They each have two 30kw generators to keep the lights on and the air compressors pumping.

How many divers?
Each boat carries 31 passengers, 3 trip leaders, and 6 boat crew, for a total of 40 people.

Can non-divers go?
Non-divers are welcome to come along. If the boat is NOT full, they may come at half price. If the boat is FULL or there is a diver that wants the spot any time prior to departure, they must pay full price or release the spot.

Who are the crew?
The boat's crew consists of 2 Coast Guard licensed captains, 2 galley hands and 2 divemasters. The captains are paid, the rest of the crew work for tips and diving.

How are the bunks?
Each boat has 32 passenger bunks-30 singles and 2 doubles. The bunks each have their own privacy curtain, are grouped in cabins of 4 or 6. The Fling's cabins have doors, the Spree's have curtains with a large common area amidships. Bunks cannot be reserved. We provide sheets, blankets and pillows. DON'T FORGET YOUR TOWEL!

Is there a TV?
Both boats have a television with VCR and stereo. They have a selection of movies available, but you are more than welcome to bring your own. The crew would love to see something new! We also have cables for some video systems so you can play the tape from your last dive for all to see.

Food:

How's the food?

Plentiful and hot. You won't go hungry.

Drinks?
Lemonade, Gatorade, water, coffee and hot chocolate are available all day. The boats have sodas and beer for sale-sodas are 75¢, beer is $1.25. The bar closes at midnight.
Yes, your first beer of the day marks the end of your diving for that day.

Meals?
Served buffet-style throughout the day starting with a continental breakfast of rolls, fruit and coffee at 6:00am before the morning dive. After the first dive, a hot breakfast of eggs, bacon or sausage, biscuits and gravy, pancakes or breakfast tacos is served. Lunch is after the second dive and is usually sandwiches, soup, pasta salad or similar fare. Afternoon snack is after the third dive and based upon the creativity of your galley crew-dinner is after dive four and the first night will almost always be Texas brisket, smoked sausage, potatoes, ranch beans, garden salad and desert. Other potentials are spaghetti and meatballs, chicken tenders, fajitas, chicken pot pie, or meatloaf. After your night dive, a snack of warm brownies and vanilla ice cream will be waiting for you.

Special diets?
Our galley hands are more than willing to accommodate restricted diets as long as they know in advance. Vegetarians that eat diary products are easily accommodated. Low salt or no sugar are also easily arranged. Anyone on a very strict diet, like vegan or kosher, needs to call our office and make special arrangements. PLEASE DO NOT BRING ANYTHING THAT NEEDS TO BE REFRIGERATED. The boats do not have room to store items that must be refrigerated or frozen-the coolers are already filled to the brim.

Can I bring snacks?
Meals and snacks are provided from 6:00 am until midnight. For sanitary reasons, no food or drink is allowed below decks. NO EXCEPTIONS. Please do not bring food or drinks to the boat; if you can't make it 2 days without your Milky Way bars, turn them into the galley hands as you board the boat and they will keep them safe for you. Personal ice chests, sodas, beer, and glass containers are not allowed on board at all. Again, please do not bring anything that needs to be refrigerated.

Again, Ebony, please accept my oversight on your questions. I hope this helps and if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I would love to see you out their in "MY Backyard".

-ZD

#43 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:25 AM

BUt ZD- you're gonna be MY buddy, right?!
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#44 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 08:27 AM

Yes Maam SH. I told you I would. :birthday:

#45 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 13 July 2004 - 04:40 PM

nice! does this mean there's another eagle for me since you're stealing my buddy, ZD! let's see....i want glossy feathers, a nice beak, amazing trim, and a wingspan of say.... :lmao:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users