• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

TSA locks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:31 AM

Does anybody know if you can use TSA locks in another country and not have them cut off? Or are they only really useable in the US? I'm thinking of getting some but if I can't use them for International travel it seems kinda of a waste.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:46 AM

I flew with them from Canada and from someplace in the Caribbean and did not have an issue. However I do not know about other destinations.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 nikk

nikk

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cert Level:cmas 3*
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:10 PM

I live in India but travel a great deal around Asia and Europe as well as to the US. After having my (non TSA) locks snapped open a couple of time in the US, I have now switched to TSA locks and have not had an issue anywhere.

Nikhil
WWW (Warm Water Wuss.....AND PROUD OF IT!!!)

#4 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:01 PM

Does anybody know if you can use TSA locks in another country and not have them cut off? Or are they only really useable in the US? I'm thinking of getting some but if I can't use them for International travel it seems kinda of a waste.

Well, if other countries need to get into your bags, they'll probably cut them off. However, in my experience, other countries tend to care less about getting into your bags. I've had normal locks cut (and a note left) by TSA travelling within the US, but in my international travels since I got the TSA locks (3xAustralia, 2xMexico, 1xUK, 1xFrance, plus transiting through Germany, Singapore, & Thailand), I've not had any locks cut.

I wonder if the other countries' airport security services can get access to the keys?

Edited by Fordan, 15 July 2007 - 01:02 PM.

#5 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:34 PM

When I use them (TSA locks) on my international traveling check-ins, I have not had any problems with them being cut off. I also have never seen my bags get any more "security" inspection when being screened than the standard Xray machine you go through to enter the airport terminal. In Asia, at least --where I have more experience traveling, there is no additional "security screening" than the entry X ray check to the terminal. Also I have never had them want to look inside the bag.

For hand-carry luggage on US airline carriers, that is different, as there is additonal X ray check and sometimes a visual inspection of your carryon items, including a couple years ago, all electronics to be switched on. Of course you are present for this part of the "airport experience".

Your air consumption may vary :usflag:

#6 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:38 PM

I carry my dive gear in my rumpled, dirty and well traveled 65 liter Expedition Lowe backpack. It looks like a vagrant hitchhiker who cannot even afford a hostel is on vacation and there are no locks on the bag. All I remember is when they interviewed a burglar on 20/20 who said he always hit the houses with alarm company signs out front and good locks on the doors as there must be something worth protecting inside. A dive logo covered bag with locks says the same thing.

All of the higher value items are inside wrapped up in sequential layers of other gear and to get at it means pulling everything else out. My Dad is an ex-cop and one of his saying is that a locked door only keeps out an honest man. If they want in, it will only take them seconds, lock or no lock.

My take anyway...
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#7 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

All I remember is when they interviewed a burglar on 20/20 who said he always hit the houses with alarm company signs out front and good locks on the doors as there must be something worth protecting inside. A dive logo covered bag with locks says the same thing.

RE the security signs, Why advertise your system? Better to have the thief figure it out when it goes off, rather than tell them what kind of system you have. They are all defeatable, and several have "universal" codes that can't be changed by the owner. You may not even know about them.

As for the bags, I travelled to Europe a few times last year, and Bonaire this year, and I recall seeing bags with TSA locks on them in the carousel. I am putting them on now myself. I get the inspection almost everytime I fly so this is just one extra step the bums have to take to open my bags. And while they won't keep the thieves out, they will keep the bag from accidentally opening, which I have seen before...
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#8 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:28 PM

Thnx for all the info looks like it wouldn't hurt to invest in some TSA locks.

#9 Going Postal

Going Postal

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 15 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

I had my TSA locks cut off on my way home from Roatan in Atlanta after rechecking my bags after going thru customs. I use zip ties now.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow - What a ride!'"

#10 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 16 July 2007 - 05:16 AM

RE the security signs, Why advertise your system? Better to have the thief figure it out when it goes off, rather than tell them what kind of system you have. They are all defeatable, and several have "universal" codes that can't be changed by the owner. You may not even know about them.

20/20 showed the average response time to a house alarm was 8-10 minutes and it took 2 minutes for a pro burglar to go through your house. So they basically didn't care if it went off or not.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users