• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SD vs Flower Gardens 2007

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#46 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:40 PM

Bubski, I'll PM you my address. You can send me your camera card, and print and burn the pictures to cd for you.

Nice try Bill ....that card contains all of the Boat of Shame Members plus Melonies debriefing for them pic's :banghead:

I'm thinkin Ebay right now $$$$$$ :diver:

:cheerleader:

Sorry, Bubski, I've already admitted my ride in the boat of shame, but if you've got a picture of me in it, I'd like to have a copy

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#47 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:06 PM

Yes they were some healthy surface currents!!!

They can get bad in the gulf. When I was on the Spree tied to one of those rigs the wind was holding the boat 90 degrees to the current. The current lifted one of those dumbells on the down line over the port prop, the starboard Carolina lines were close to the surface which is why I now carry a folding snorkel in my BC. All 30 divers had to use the starboard line. Divers trying to make the dash from the line to the ladder were running out of air. :banghead: :diver: :D
Franks wife cut the dumbell loose and we picked it up in the morning with a liftbag.

We had several new divers on this trip, and some who had not had this much "excitement" with current in some time.

The crew did good briefings, and were very explicit about how we should get in and back out, including advice on dealing with the various lines.

To my knowledge, while they were always deployed, no one used the down lines during this entire trip. The crew ran a line from the stern to the mooring line, at a point normally about 30 feet down.

Two special divers had to be picked up by the special boat. Be careful out there!

hmmmm, I did not take the ride, but I did miss the granny line on one entry, but took the opportunity to run an exertion SAC check with a heavy kick to the bottom to get out of the current and catch up with Sara at the mooring ring. :cheerleader:
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#48 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:21 PM

so capn what did the RMV check show as your consumption rate was?

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#49 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:35 PM

In the full disclosure mode - 700# from a tank rated at 3500 = 20%
4 minutes - 5% per minute
130 * .05 = 6.5 fpm

Converting to sea level is left as an exercise for the reader.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#50 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:40 PM

In the full disclosure mode - 700# from a tank rated at 3500 = 20%
4 minutes - 5% per minute
130 * .05 = 6.5 fpm

Converting to sea level is left as an exercise for the reader.

Attached Images

• FG_070719_1.jpg

Jacques Yves Cousteau

#51 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,248 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:900+

Posted 21 July 2007 - 07:19 PM

To my knowledge, while they were always deployed, no one used the down lines during this entire trip. The crew ran a line from the stern to the mooring line, at a point normally about 30 feet down.

Actually Gwyn, Kamala and I used the down lines on one of the first few dives on Monday (I think maybe the second) since there was a lot of divers in one spot on the line and not as much current on that one.

I did see Bubski on it once I think after he dropped off his camera on the camera line. Bubski get that camera fixed quick so we can see the ride of shame! :diver: Of course now that I say that I'll be riding that little zodiac on every dive the next time I'm on that trip :cheerleader: :banghead:

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#52 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:05 PM

Good times. Not Cozumel clear/calm, but on a par with Gold Coast FLA diving, except for the currents, which were ripping at the surface down to about 20' (due to the prevailing wind, which was steady every day). I'm amazed Leonard and Bubski made me the de facto leader of the pack, but I managed to get us lost only a handful of times on Flower Gardens E & W (Stetson Bank was harder to get lost on, due to guide lines and general topography). Somebody needs to drop an aircraft carrier or some other Navy vessel as an artificial reef out there! My group didn't end up being "dinghy people" or worse, ending up on the wrong boat, so I guess we were good or (more likely) lucky. The rig was cool, except for the current, and I'd like to do more of those (last one I did was Panama City FLA in 1989, an old Navy research platform that was blown down to 50 or 60 feet and left as an artificial reef).

First time ever hurling on a dive boat after over 50 boat trips (I'm religious about the anti-puke pills, but must've missed something), but after that it was okay. Blowing chunks sucks (at least it was before breakfast). The rest of the trip was okay.

My overriding impression left after the trip was a: singledivers are cool and b: 80 tanks are not large enough when diving Nitrox at our average depths (80'+) and dives per day--air goes before nitrogen times or oxygen times become a factor. 100s or 120s would be more desireable. Also, take the good stuff when it comes to the anti-hurl meds. And don't eat everything that's put out in the galley--I gained at least three pounds...
I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#53 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:22 PM

Yeah, I am really grateful to Karl for renting me the 120s - nice, new ones! Even then, I didn't last too long - need to get back to the gym routine ASAP in prep for Cozumel, but they were nice.

I was amazed at the life on that rig. It was like watching an aquarium, and then the giant, red turtle! I'm glad he was friendly, as I was so involved with shooting pics of him that I let the current push my face into his. Ooooops!

I am still tired and sore, really got to hit the gym starting Monday, but I think I can download my pics and see if anything good came out. Never did try to use my strobe in the current, but maybe I can pull out some shots with Elements 3.0?

3-1/2 weeks to Cozumel...! Posted Image
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#54 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

Its nice to know your niegbors here in Arkansas!
Odell Sippin took time from making his famous home town sippin whiskey to help me with my camera troubles.
He fired-up his pentium 233 with a 850 meg hard drive computer then pluged in his sddr-89 reader and the next thing I knew I had all my pic's from the SD FG trip :cool1:

Chuck,
Here is your reward for Blaz-in new Trails in the FG..... Texas Style :cool2:

This stingray is not native to the FG !

Cajun Diver

Bubski get that camera fixed quick so we can see the ride of shame! Of course now that I say that I'll be riding that little zodiac on every dive the next time I'm on that trip

I'm think-in the same thing so I :banghead: :;-+: :D

:teeth:
Carl and Doris I have those pic's I told you guys I took of you, so pm me with your addy and I will send them to you.

more fishy and creature pic's tomorrow.

Thanks to every diver that went on this trip...You made it a special time for everyone :diver:

:cheerleader:
Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#55 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:44 AM

Thanks Que
If it wasnt for you I would not have received these awesome memories or pictures !

Sara, Mark and Chuck I have found some pictures of you as well.
let me know if you want them K......

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#56 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:57 AM

Thanks Que
If it wasnt for you I would not have received these awesome memories or pictures !

Sara, Mark and Chuck I have found some pictures of you as well.
let me know if you want them K......

Bubski

Thanks a bunch, I'll PM you our external emails....
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#57 nurseshark

nurseshark

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 22 July 2007 - 11:59 AM

I have a bunch of great pics too but am too computer stupid to get them up in the thread

I f ya'll send me your emails I will send them to you

Karen

Edited by nurseshark, 22 July 2007 - 12:00 PM.

#58 Juliwithani

Juliwithani

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:OW Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:36 PM

I have a bunch of great pics too but am too computer stupid to get them up in the thread

I f ya'll send me your emails I will send them to you

Karen

Hi Karen:
I know you have some great shots and would really appreciate you emailing to me also.

I enjoed meeting you!

Thanks!
Juli

#59 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

80 tanks are not large enough when diving Nitrox at our average depths (80'+) and dives per day--air goes before nitrogen times or oxygen times become a factor. 100s or 120s would be more desireable.

Hey, speak for yourself. 80s are plenty of gas for some of us.
If the Fling crew would have let me, I could have swam back to the Spree. I had 1300 PSI left :P

#60 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 22 July 2007 - 05:54 PM

80 tanks are not large enough when diving Nitrox at our average depths (80'+) and dives per day--air goes before nitrogen times or oxygen times become a factor. 100s or 120s would be more desireable.

Hey, speak for yourself. 80s are plenty of gas for some of us.
If the Fling crew would have let me, I could have swam back to the Spree. I had 1300 PSI left :dance:

Tis the truth you speak! :birthday: The 80's worked just fine for me. :birthday:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users