• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo
- - - - -

Rum connoisseurs do I have a offer for you.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:46 PM

Puerto Rico is well known for its rums, and for one brand in particular and that is Bacardi, this is the rum that Puerto Rico claims as its own, and it would be a crime nor make a trip incomplete if you did not visit Casa Bacardi, where Bacardi is based now after having its asset’s seized in cuba in the 1960’s.

During the time I was touring the east side of Puerto Rico we(The DAN Reps and I) where able to make a quick stop at Casa Bacardi for a quick visit and get a few bottles, for which I took full advantage of the opportunity and picked up 5 bottles total including 4 that aren’t available outside of Puerto Rico that will be shipped home in the coming days to add to the other bottles of rum I have in my collection from around the world. I wasn’t able to get to take the factory tour but I will do that before I leave Puerto Rico, plus it will give me a chance to pick up a few more bottles for my person collection :-D.

The History of Bacardi

After years as a successful wine merchant, Don Facundo Bacardi turns to his true passion – the Cuban national drink – rum.

Don Facundo began experimenting with every step of the rum production process. After many years of cataloguing his work as a scientist and testing the methodology, he civilized rum as we know it today - creating a white rum of unknown lightness. His vision: to create the worlds first light rum.

Don Facundo's revolution in rum production liberated Cuban rum, introducing it as a new discovery to Cuban society. Don Facundo's company then receives the title, "Los Maestros del Ron" - The Masters of Rum.

On the 4th of February 1862, Don Facundo Bacardi purchases his first distillery near the port of Santiago de Cuba. The foundation stone of the BACARDI name is laid. When Doña Amalia, his wife, first entered the distillery, she noticed a colony of fruit bats hanging from the rafters. She recognized that the bats were popularly thought to bring good health, fortune, and family unity.

Don Facundo decided to employ the Bat as his trademark; thus making his rums known as "El Ron del Murciélago" or, The Rum of the Bat. In 1863 the BACARDI Bat Device becomes the registered trademark for all BACARDI products. The Bat

When Don Facundo passed away in 1877, the company passed into the hands of his three sons, Facundo, Emilio and José. The three of them lead it successfully through the proceeding decades, then assigned it to their sons and other family members.

Today the company is run by the seventh generation of Bacardis. More than 400 family members are working for BACARDI rum worldwide.

Close to the end of the 19th century, after the Cuban War of Independence from the Spanish crown, two of the world's most famous cocktails were created – inspired by BACARDI rum. The legend of the Original Cuba Libre reports that one day, American soldiers and Cuban freedom-fighters came together to celebrate their mutual victory. What was closer than combining the famous beverages of both countries – BACARDI rum and Coca-Cola - to toast to a liberated Cuba – Viva Cuba Libre!

The famous Daiquiri was created in 1896, when the American mining engineer Jennings S. Cox had the idea to combine BACARDI Carta Blanca with fresh lime juice. Originally created to bring refreshing relief to his workers from the hot tropical sun, the drink was officially named after the Cuban mining town and became a legendary cocktail.

In 1960, after the illegal confiscation of the Cuban assets of Compañía Ron Bacardi S.A. by the totalitarian Cuban regime, the family left Cuba as exiles. The Bacardi's, with their entrepreneurial instinct, dedicated themselves to reconstructing the Bacardi Company.

As the company expanded into various countries around the world, a member of the Bacardi family was always present to ensure that Don Facundo Bacardi's original charcoal mellowing and aging techniques were strictly followed.

After six generations of Don Facundo's descendants being directly involved in the business, Bacardi takes pride in its position as the producer of "The World's Great Rums Since 1862".

ll BACARDI rums have one thing in common - their excellent quality. Besides those products available for the open market, there have always been special blends which were reserved only for family members.

Bacardi Ron 8 Anos: Is one of these special blends is a premium dark rum from BACARDI that is aged for 8 years in small mature oak casks to develop into one of the world's most exquisitely smooth rums - BACARDI 8. After aging it is carefully blended to perfection featuring notes of prunes, apricots, nutmeg, and vanilla over a clean woody background of oak. Its taste is smooth, rich and very full with a long expansive finish. Only since 1997 has this superior rum been available for connoisseurs outside the family. For those who know the difference.

Bacardi Select:
is on the same level as the Oro but is distilled different then the Oro in that it is distilled in Oak barrels where the Oro is distilled in copper standing stills. Both rums are very smooth and mellow.

Bacardi Gold (Oro): This rum is not to be confused with the Bacardi Anejo (which is made in Mexico, and aged for six years) or Amber that is available in the lower 48, as those are ones made for export. This rum is amber in color, mellow and smooth, with the impressions

Bacardi Reserva: This rum is similar to the ron 8 anos, but is made in smaller batches, and is not blended like the 8 is so that the flavor in one bottle may slightly be different from another, but vary similar. The last aging step is done in charred American oak barrels and then filtered before bottling.

Bacardi Reserva Limitada – this is the top of all Bacardi rums as it is a single cask reserve, which means it make in small batches so the quality is top notch as the process from start to finish is done by a bacardi family member and master distiller . This is only available at Casa Bacardi, and I believe I saw a label with S/N on it and the numbers where really low (the two I saw had numbers 983, and 1005) so there is not to many bottles out there.

At the world beverage competition in 2006 Reserva Limitada was given a silver medal for dark liquors

Besides the select products listed above that are not exported to the US, these rums are also available. This is a listing of the products available , but at this time im not sure of the export status of each, for the most part they are available but not all. I will check and post back.

Bacardi 151
Bacardi Silver
Bacardi Anejo
Bacardi Amber
Bacardi Limon
Bacardi O
Bacardi Peach Red
Bacardi Razz
Bacardi Grand Melon
Bacardi Big Apple
Bacardi Coconut

I can get a majority of the Bacardi Product line (along with other brands as well, but not at casa bacardi) at Casa Bacardi and from local suppliers at prices that are lower then what they are sold for in the continental 48. (IE a bottle of bacardi silver is around 18-22 in the 48 depending on location, while down here its around 14). So if you would be interested getting some of the Bacardi Rums that aren’t available in the states I can arrange to ship them to you for your collection and/or enjoyment, but please contact me via PM or post here and I will contact you

Then for those that are looking for other traditional Puerto Rican liquors or alchoals (see list of rums available below) I can get you a list of others that are available and see if they are shipped out side of PR, but be aware that some are not exported at all as Puerto Ricans love there rum and production runs don’t last long for export. Then im sorry any over proof rums cant be shipped as no carriers will accept them for transport due to flamability.

FYI Bacardi also owns the following brands as well
· Martini & Rossi
· Dewar's
· Bombay Saphire
· Cazadores
· Grey Goose
· 42 Below
· Drambuie
· DiSaronno
· B&B

Following local brands are also available
· DonQ (short for Don Quixote, the favorite character of one of the Serrallés family heirs)
· Captain Morgan
· Palo Viejo
· Boca Chica Rum
· Ron Llave
· Ron Castillo
· Ron del Barrilito
· Ron Rico
· Ron Cañita Cura'o (Extra Strength)

Tooth

I will post pictures of the 4 Bacardi Rums mentioned above later today.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#2 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:04 PM

OMG RRRRUUUUMMM!!!!!

How much is the Ron 8 Anos? That sounds tasty...

Edited by ScubaDrew, 28 July 2007 - 01:04 PM.

Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#3 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:14 PM

Hey Hawk, they are talking about rum.......

#4 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 01:25 PM

Drew PM in your box

Michelle, you saying that reminds me of a taco bell commerical.... here lizard lizard lizard.

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#5 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:48 PM

There are so many good rums in PR.
I like DonQ ~ picked up several bottles when I was there a few years ago.

I also like Ron del Barrilito

hmmm Rum.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#6 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:59 PM

oh yes there are a few and i have sampled many (on days im not diving) and had a few mojitos and cuba libras. By the time I leave here i will have shipped a fair number of bottles home for my personal collection/bar.

Tooth

#7 Craig

Craig

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:22

Posted 28 July 2007 - 03:20 PM

Tooth -- PM me please with the final details....would love a bottole of Ron 8 anos or DOn Q....I'm not all that far from Plano.
Posted Image HOOK'EM!!! Posted Image

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"When a defining moment comes along. You either define the moment or the moment defines you!" (Roy McAvoy - TIN CUP)

#8 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:42 PM

Ok i promised pictures of the bottles and here they are

going in order from left to right
Bacardi Ron 8 Anos (Rum aged 8 years)
Bacardi Gold (Oro)
Bacardi Reserva
Bacardi Select

Attached Images

• P1010377.jpg
  • P1010378.jpg
  • P1010379.jpg
  • P1010381.jpg

#9 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 30 July 2007 - 06:10 PM

This is still my favorite hearty rum ... thick as molasses and strong at 100 proof.

Posted Image
Signature under construction :)

#10 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:19 PM

For those that are interested i would need to have orders in by august 29th so that i have enough time to make a run to get it all and then to get it all shipped out in time.

PM for the prices list.

for those interested in Don Q Im going to the distillary this weekend for a tour after i get done collecting my recorders from a group that finishes up on sunday. so i will get availability then for higher end bottles.

Gis Gal- got a chance to sample some of the Ron del Barrilito you mentioned and it was pretty smooth, different but very good. may have to get a bottle to take home.

#11 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:58 AM

sorry i need to make a change i will need to have any orders in by august 20th at the latest so I can make a run to get it all and have it to shipped before i leave.

For those wondering about the DonQ products, i have found just about everything but the grand anejo, but im looking for it, It may be at casa DonQ in san juan and not in Ponce where the founders family home is.

Im planning to take a day and go to san juan before i go to see the old san juan to see the fort but will go by casa donQ for a visit and pick up anything that i may need to get.

If there are any questions please PM me or post here

#12 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:10 PM

To those that where interested in getting a bottle or two of rum from Puerto Rico Please PM if your still interested as on thursday im going to San Juan to do some photography in old san juan and will be making a stop at bacardi on the way back.

so if you want something from the bacardi distillery (or any other PR rum) please let me know as I have 9 days left down here to get it and ship.

OH BTW Platypusman i have a new recipe for a Mojito and i need to try would you like to sample it?

little bit of a FYI on Puerto Rican Rum. There are 34 brands that are native to Puerto Rico, and only of those 34 only three are exported outside of Puerto Rico in high quantities (greater than or equal to 5,000 cases or about 75K bottles) around the world. Can you name the 3. Becareful its not as easy as it may seem.

Tooth

Edited by Scubatooth, 21 August 2007 - 08:12 PM.

#13 pocahontas

pocahontas

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:09 PM

Ah - the Bacardi factory....I remember it well from my days of skating in an ice show in San Juan.....
I think the rest of the girls and I could have given the tour by the time the show closed.
Can you still get hammered there for free?
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

#14 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:16 PM

OH BTW Platypusman i have a new recipe for a Mojito and i need to try would you like to sample it?

Sure--just PM it to me and when you're back in DFW we'll see if we can get all the ingredients together.

PlatypusMan

#15 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:27 PM

PP

all of the ingredients are available in dallas just need to try it out.

Then one final call if anyone wants rum for puerto rico as im making a run to the bacardi and DonQ factories tomorrow while im in old san juan seeing the sites. if your interested please post here or send me a PM as i leave at 7am tomorrow for my all day tour.

Tooth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users