• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What do you look for in a buddy?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:55 PM

The post on "assigned buddies" got me to thinking perhaps we should discuss what qualities we like in a buddy. I'll be thinking about it and composing my list. I hope you will be doing the same. Let's see how we should buddy up on the next trip.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:22 PM

I can adjust to most any buddy, but I'm basically lazy. I don't like to race around, I enjoy moving slowly and taking my time. I pay attention to my buddy and expect the same in return.

If my buddy is taking pictures, that works for me, I can look for shots.

If I'm spearfishing, I like a buddy who is either there to spot fish or is also spearfishing, but is not competitive. We can get a better meal by working together than by working against each other.

Knowing a little ASL helps to communicate more clearly.

If I'm carrying the flag on a float dive, I like my buddy to be aware of how strong the current is pulling me. If it's pulling me very strongly, I don't want my buddy to be oblivious and no keep up when it's difficult for me to slow down.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 VaScubaGirl

VaScubaGirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:37 PM

I like buddies who are relaxed and comfortable in the water. I have dove with shutterbugs and that's cool. When I am taking pictures, I tend to be a bit oblivious (something I need to work on) so I need my buddy to pay a little more attention. I can lead or follow, I like someone who can communicate clearly (one diver was trying to tell a couple of us it was raining on the surface and all of us interpreted his sign as octopus!). I like people who are more into enjoying the moment of the dive and not driven by getting from point A to point B as fast as possible. I like to often linger and look at things closely so I need a buddy who is cool with that. I guess that's about it :rolleyes:
Follow your bliss, just don't follow it too closely in case it stops suddenly!

#4 coppermaus

coppermaus

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 25 March 2004 - 09:08 PM

Biggest buddy quality I'm looking for these days is someone I can trust. I've had only one buddy in 7 years who fit that bill. The rest I've had to watch out for. Trust means I know they're not going to take off or do something dangerous; they know the dive plan and avoid changing it, although if some uncontrollable factor changes it, they can handle that, too; they can handle an emergency without panicking; and they're diving for the love of it, but aren't interested in dying for it. Also good if they trust me.

ASL would be a bonus - great idea, Walter. Do you know it? I've forgotten most words, since I lost touch with my deaf friends years ago, just remember the alphabet now.
coppermaus

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:11 PM

Darlin',

ASL is my second best language. Spanish is a distant fourth. We'll trade lessons when we dive together.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:34 PM

Darlin',

ASL is my second best language. Spanish is a distant fourth. We'll trade lessons when we dive together.

Walter

So does that mean you'll be giving underwater signing classes on future SD.com trips???? Ooooh that would be cool!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 06:17 AM

While I don't claim to be an expert, yes. I'll be happy to share my little knowledge of ASL on our singles trips.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 26 March 2004 - 07:13 AM

I look for someone I can trust and that they can trust me. Someone who doesn't take off on me and is not a risk taker, i.e., doing something dangerous. Safety a must.

Someone who likes to it slow and enjoy the scenery, the marine life, not how deep they can go or how fast they can move, not competitive.

I've found that I'm easily adjustable with dive buddies. Whether it's someone taking pictures or spearfishing, as long as I know the plan of action, beforehand, I'm ok with it :)

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 08:34 AM

I've found that I'm easily adjustable with dive buddies. Whether it's someone taking pictures or spearfishing, as long as I know the plan of action, beforehand, I'm ok with it :)

Hey WG...I agree 100%. I also make a good spearfishing buddy...I carry the bag and I can also get my share of founder with a gig or a knife! (Whoops...I sure hope I didn't upset anyone. Just for the record...anything we catch we eat that night on my NC trips.)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 08:57 AM

Actually, spearfishing is the most ecologically friendly method of harvesting fish. It shouldn't upset anyone who eats fish.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 09:50 AM

Actually, spearfishing is the most ecologically friendly method of harvesting fish.  It shouldn't upset anyone who eats fish.

Thanks Walter...I agree....but I'm sure we have a number of people who don't like to eat fish after seeing them in their natural habitat! Either way I hope no one is offended!! ww

formerly...

#12 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:37 AM

Actually, fish caught by sport fishermen are the only fish I eat! I agree with Walter that spearfishing is the most ecologically friendly way to harvest fish.

All of you have listed qualities that I like. I know I would enjoy diving with any of you. ASL is a great idea. I know I've miscommunicated a couple of times with a buddy.

I like to see the "little" things. It's fun to read up on the critters so that when you find them, you know what you are looking at.

Basically, no speed racing, much respect for the environment, and attention is what I enjoy when diving. I do not actually enjoy the dive if I have to race around or constantly "watch" my buddy because my buddy is not paying any kind of attention.

#13 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 28 March 2004 - 10:59 AM

The two things that are most important to me are safety and going slow. There is so much to see and to me the slower you go the more you see. The big stuff is easy to see but you need to go slow and look in holes and study the outside or inside of a sponge. I agree it's not a competion. As for safety agreeing when you get down to a certain level of air or time limit. Staying relatively close and looking out for each other. Deciding on depth limits beforehand and sticking close to them. Checking out each others gear beforehand. I could go on but I think you guys get the picture. I enjoy leading but I'm also happy following so I can go either way depending on how the buddy wants to dive. I'm usually good at finding things in new areas. Mainly cause I go slow.

- Chuck

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts

Posted 28 March 2004 - 11:11 AM

I'm usually good at finding things in new areas. Mainly cause I go slow.

- Chuck

You'd be a great photographers buddy!! Woo Hoo!!! -ww

formerly...

#15 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 28 March 2004 - 02:34 PM

Photographers love diving with me. I'm very into diving slowly and peering into all the crevices and eyeing the tiny critters in addition to the 6 foot lingcods we have here in the nothwest ( which can also be easy to miss if you're rushing from point A to point B ). Regardless of whether or not my buddy is a photographer, one thing I like to do for my buddies ( I wish more people did this ) is I'll light up an interesting critter, look at it, then back out of the way while keeping it lit up so that my buddy knows to get in close and have a look. Sometimes it really annoys me that my buddy finds something cool to see but doesn't want to share the experiance. I was diving with a friend's teenage daughter once and I treated her like this, making sure she got to share the time spent up close to the critters instead of hogging the experiance. She told her dad, and now I get invited to go diving with them almost every time they take their boat out. So sometimes being an unselfish buddy can reap selfish rewards.

Other things I think are important in a buddy are awareness, comfort level in the water, and good communication.

Awareness of your own condition ( air supply, nitrogen loading, etc. ) and awareness of your buddy. I like to pay attention to my buddy, but if I ask how much air they have left and they seem surprised and act as if this is the first time during the dive that they've bothered to check, then I feel more like a babysitter than a buddy. Do they seem aware of their environment? Or are they crashing into things with poorly placed kicks, grabbing hands, and bad buoyancy control? Do they check on me during the dive, or am I they only one making the effort? Are we really a buddy team, or are we just doing solo dives near each other? There's a big difference. Buddy seperation is next to impossible if you're both checking on each other every so often.

Comfort level in the water is important. If they seem to be calm and collected whenever we have eye contact, then I can relax and enjoy our dive together instead of watching them the whole time wondering if they're about to do something rash in response to a simple problem. If my buddy is nervous, then they'll probably be huffing gas like crazy, and that'll be one more thing to worry about.

Communication is difficult underwater, we all know that. But some people don't even understand the basic signs. I try to review the communication skills before diving with someone new, and I let them know that I carry wetnotes if they need to communicate something really complex ( I show them a sign for "I need to write" ). I've noticed with some people, there's a real tendancy to just respond to anything with an OK sign. That doesn't tell me much, and I can tell by the look in your eyes that you just didn't understand what I was just trying to say, so why are you flashing the OK sign? A buddy that can communicate well and understands it's a two way street really adds to the level of fun on the dive.

But what the heck, I'll dive with ( almost ) anyone ONCE...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users