• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What do you look for in a buddy?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#16 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 28 March 2004 - 02:49 PM

I like my dive buddy to be safety oriented first of all, next nothing beats a good dive plan that covers the goals and desire's of each diver. because I'm so new to this sport most of my buddies have had alot more experiance than i so i like that. I would like my buddy to have about the same air consumption as I but this is not a Wish List ? just Like To list right.
I beleive in the Buddy system both of us looking out for one another's safety!

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:20 AM

Erin,

Excellent points on communication. I think an ASL (American Sign Language) seminar would be a very helpful (optional) seminar to have on our trips. It's not difficult and really adds to the enjoyment.

One type of communication many forget is verbal communication. Yes, you can talk underwater. I can usually understand you as well.

Practice communication. You'll bet better with practice.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:30 AM

I like my buddies to stay relatively close & aware. If they want to change directions to go see something, that's OK but I hate it when they just take off on me.
My favorite aspect of diving is not "seeing" everything, it's the feeling of weightlessness & freedom that the water offers- the closest I'll probably ever get to going into space. I'm one of those divers that can just go down & hang around on a reef- I see no need to race all over the place all the time. 'Course I do like to explore too!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:53 AM

Photographers love diving with me. I'm very into diving slowly and peering into all the crevices and eyeing the tiny critters in addition to the 6 foot lingcods we have here in the nothwest ( which can also be easy to miss if you're rushing from point A to point B ). Regardless of whether or not my buddy is a photographer, one thing I like to do for my buddies ( I wish more people did this ) is I'll light up an interesting critter, look at it, then back out of the way while keeping it lit up so that my buddy knows to get in close and have a look. Sometimes it really annoys me that my buddy finds something cool to see but doesn't want to share the experiance. I was diving with a friend's teenage daughter once and I treated her like this, making sure she got to share the time spent up close to the critters instead of hogging the experiance. She told her dad, and now I get invited to go diving with them almost every time they take their boat out. So sometimes being an unselfish buddy can reap selfish rewards.

Other things I think are important in a buddy are awareness, comfort level in the water, and good communication.

Awareness of your own condition ( air supply, nitrogen loading, etc. ) and awareness of your buddy. I like to pay attention to my buddy, but if I ask how much air they have left and they seem surprised and act as if this is the first time during the dive that they've bothered to check, then I feel more like a babysitter than a buddy. Do they seem aware of their environment? Or are they crashing into things with poorly placed kicks, grabbing hands, and bad buoyancy control? Do they check on me during the dive, or am I they only one making the effort? Are we really a buddy team, or are we just doing solo dives near each other? There's a big difference. Buddy seperation is next to impossible if you're both checking on each other every so often.

Comfort level in the water is important. If they seem to be calm and collected whenever we have eye contact, then I can relax and enjoy our dive together instead of watching them the whole time wondering if they're about to do something rash in response to a simple problem. If my buddy is nervous, then they'll probably be huffing gas like crazy, and that'll be one more thing to worry about.

Communication is difficult underwater, we all know that. But some people don't even understand the basic signs. I try to review the communication skills before diving with someone new, and I let them know that I carry wetnotes if they need to communicate something really complex ( I show them a sign for "I need to write" ). I've noticed with some people, there's a real tendancy to just respond to anything with an OK sign. That doesn't tell me much, and I can tell by the look in your eyes that you just didn't understand what I was just trying to say, so why are you flashing the OK sign? A buddy that can communicate well and understands it's a two way street really adds to the level of fun on the dive.

But what the heck, I'll dive with ( almost ) anyone ONCE...

Wow...this is probably the best description I've ever seen of what it takes to be the perfect dive buddy!!! Thank you. :dolphin:

I don't think I could add anything to it....you can be my dive buddy ANYTIME!!! :diver:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:56 AM

Erin,

Excellent points on communication. I think an ASL (American Sign Language) seminar would be a very helpful (optional) seminar to have on our trips. It's not difficult and really adds to the enjoyment.

One type of communication many forget is verbal communication. Yes, you can talk underwater. I can usually understand you as well.

Practice communication. You'll bet better with practice.

Walter

Hey Walter...that is a GREAT idea!!! And I'll "BET" you'll "GET" better with practice too!!! LOL!!

But seriously...I'd love to add that option to our trips!! :diver:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:59 AM

But what the heck, I'll dive with ( almost ) anyone ONCE...

Heck I'll dive with anyone ONCE too....TWICE if I liked it.....and THRICE if I forgot I did it the first time!~!~!~! :pray:

So let's go DIVING!!!! :diver:

formerly...

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 01:11 PM

THRICE if I forgot I did it the first time!~!~!~!

Sounds like it's usually thrice?

Seriously, choosing a buddy is an important decision and we all too often leave it to the luck of the draw. We should be more proactive in choosing our buddy.

Walter

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 01:43 PM

I have been extremely lucky in my buddy choices. Only one that I will never dive with again. Love diving with Funsurge since we both know exactly what the other is going to do.
Good surface communication is a must. When the "what ifs" happen the chances are we have already discussed each others actions. The worst scenerio is being paired up with someone, as the DM tells everybody they are at the spot, and its time to get in the water. No chance to dicuss gear, ability, comfort level, or emergency procedures.

Dave
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#24 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 29 March 2004 - 03:28 PM

One type of communication many forget is verbal communication.  Yes, you can talk underwater.  I can usually understand you as well.

I'm one of those divers that does actually attempt to communicate verbally. I've been caught in the act more than once laughing at fish ( and other strange noises ) or yelling my buddy's name to get their attention.

Two things I've noticed are that 1). most people aren't listening, and 2). most people don't understand what I'm trying to say.

There are noises that are so loud that most people can't help but hear them underwater. The engine noise from a boat passing overhead or a nearby ferry's bow thrusters are good examples. But most people just aren't listening for someone talking underwater. Some people don't have that breathing pattern down. Inhale...pause...exhale... Or as I've come to learn, Inhale...listen...exhale. It's hard for them to hear anything over the noise of their own regulators unless it's something really loud like a boat directly overhead. It is amazing what you CAN hear when you pause to listen.

I do have 3 or 4 buddies that do listen. Most of them don't understand what I'm trying to say unless I'm saying their name or "Holy @%#$" ( which is standard PNW underwater-speak for "Oh my, that certainly is a big Lingcod" ). One of my buddies found a mass of recently laid squid eggs, and I was trying to tell him what they were by repeating "SQUID"..."SQUID"... When we were back on the boat I learned he thought I was saying "Sweeeeet!!!"... "Sweeeeeeet!!!"

I think A.S.L. would be a lot more productive. I carry wetnotes to convey anything more complex than the basic scuba signs. I just don't know how I'd say "Big octos live under these rocks, keep a sharp eye out" to a new diver who doesn't know A.S.L. and doesn't understand reg-speak.

Walter, I'd love to dive with you. Sounds like we have a lot to talk about.

Erin

Edited by Coo's Toe, 29 March 2004 - 03:30 PM.

#25 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 29 March 2004 - 05:08 PM

I love to dive with a buddy that can carry my tank for me :anna:

Ana

#26 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 29 March 2004 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, and I forgot to mention: tall, handsome, witty, intelligent and humble are also desirable, but possibly distracting qualities.
coppermaus

#27 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:04 PM

Damn! That tall requirement gets me every time.

DSSW,

WWW™

#28 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 29 March 2004 - 06:16 PM

Damn!  That tall requirement gets me every time.

That one's not required. :cool2:
coppermaus

#29 SuperDave

SuperDave

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:35 PM

I can carry heavy tanks, faithful buddy, always bring extra snacks and can set up your gear and haul it to the boat. I'm tall too.

SD
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#30 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 March 2004 - 07:35 PM

Damn!  That tall requirement gets me every time.

That one's not required. :)

Don't worry, he fits all the rest....

(you can pay me later, Walter) :cool2:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users