• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What do you look for in a buddy?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#46 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:12 AM

You're a talented guy, Walter ... my language skills are pretty much limited to English and Profanity.  I know just enough Spanish to find the restroom 

a good thing to know when you've been

ordering beer.

:twist:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#47 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:16 AM

I can find the restroom and order beer in English, ASL, Russian and Spanish. I can get slapped in those same languages.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#48 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:31 AM

At a bare minimum I want a dive buddy who won't get me killed or bent. In my experience, the way a person acts as a diver is a microcosm of the way they are in real life ... if they're pushy and selfish those traits will only be exaggerated under water; in contrast, if a person is thoughtful and considerate they will likely be that way as a dive buddy. I dive for relaxation and fun, not as a competitive sport. Thus, I'm willing to dive with a newer buddy and work through skill deficiencies they may have because I love the thrill that he or she gets when experiencing this new and wonderous world that those of us with some dives under our weight belt sometimes become desensitized to. The only time this was a problem was in the cathedrals off of Lanai, when a "buoyancy-challenged" diver managed to silt out the cavern for the rest of us.

That said, I also enjoy diving with people who are better and more experienced than I because that's part of where I learn to be better. The guy I dive with most is a very skilled diver and is finishing the instructor track at a local LDS. I've learned a tremendous amount from him.

Similar air consumption is always a plus. My best friend is one of the greatest guys I know, but he's 6'4" and 240# and sucks air like the engine on a 777.

Here's a question for you ... have you ever gone diving with someone who loved to talk so much that you couldn't wait to get under the water so that you'd have a break from the sound of their voice?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#49 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 11:38 AM

Here's a question for you ... have you ever gone diving with someone who loved to talk so much that you couldn't wait to get under the water so that you'd have a break from the sound of their voice?

Its been said there are only three times on a boat that I am quiet....if I happen to be napping/sleeping which is rare but of course happens on a liveaboard...if I happen to be feeding the fish..and then I'm not entirely quiet...more like the occassional 'blah' when the sea gods have to be fed again...AND when I'm underwater!!! :twist:

So when did you manage to sneak a dive in with me???? :blink:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#50 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:10 PM

And not afraid to wear pink....as evidenced by "Real Men wear Pink" and your new avatar! LOL!!! :twist:

Someone on this very board was responsible for talking me into those pink snorkel pics... Maybe she'll come forward to accept her share of the blame, just so people don't start accusing me of color-coordination or having a fashion sense.

I have to admit, I do look pretty good in pink though!!! LOL

( We took these shots yesterday on a completely sold out dive boat, with the standard 90% male to female ratio. When I gave my buddy the camera and went to pull out the pink mask & snorkel to do the fashion show, my buddy leaned in close and whispered "Man, you've really got SOME cahones..." )

#51 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:13 PM

And not afraid to wear pink....as evidenced by "Real Men wear Pink" and your new avatar!  LOL!!!  :twist:

Someone on this very board was responsible for talking me into those pink snorkel pics... Maybe she'll come forward to accept her share of the blame, just so people don't start accusing me of color-coordination or having a fashion sense.

I have to admit, I do look pretty good in pink though!!! LOL

( We took these shots yesterday on a completely sold out dive boat, with the standard 90% male to female ratio. When I gave my buddy the camera and went to pull out the pink mask & snorkel to do the fashion show, my buddy leaned in close and whispered "Man, you've really got SOME cahones..." )

Hey Erin,
According to the Wall Street Journal, pink is one of the new power colors for guys. Also shows that you're secure in your masculinity, right?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#52 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:14 PM

So when did you manage to sneak a dive in with me???? :twist:

Well, I am pretty stealthy!

#53 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:18 PM

Hey Erin,
According to the Wall Street Journal, pink is one of the new power colors for guys. Also shows that you're secure in your masculinity, right?

Security isn't one of my problems. I'm sure pulling a stunt like this on a male dominated dive boat proves that. Power color... I like that. I've been thinking of painting my fins pink to match the new mask. LOL. "Power fins"

#54 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:32 PM

have you ever gone diving with someone who loved to talk so much that you couldn't wait to get under the water so that you'd have a break from the sound of their voice?

Once, I was with a group for our first dive of the trip. The captain didn't know the group. Almost everyone was on board. The captain said, "We don't have XXXX on board yet, it's too quiet."

DSSW,

WWW™

#55 scoobiediver

scoobiediver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water, working on more.
  • Logged Dives:30

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:15 PM

Everyones view on a good dive buddy is very good to have.

Just a short story, Ive been certified for OW for about 6 years but only made my first blue water dive in June of 2003. My first night dive was the day after I got to Cozumel and I was with 5 others. Most of us on the boat were first timers on night dives. The DM stressed to everyone that the currents were heavy and we did not need to do any kicking when we were under. Well there was one couple out of all of us that seemed to be in the INDY 500 cause we did a 2 mile drift dive in about 25 minutes. I wanted to go slow to get some good pictures and to see the fish. This was a real let down to me. I spent good money on this dive and it was ruined by speedy and swifty. What a bummer.

#56 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 08:39 PM

I wanted to go slow to get some good pictures and to see the fish.

I would have. Let them go off if they want. I take my time.

DSSW,

WWW™

#57 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:34 PM

Hey Erin,
According to the Wall Street Journal, pink is one of the new power colors for guys.  Also shows that you're secure in your masculinity, right?

Security isn't one of my problems. I'm sure pulling a stunt like this on a male dominated dive boat proves that. Power color... I like that. I've been thinking of painting my fins pink to match the new mask. LOL. "Power fins"

Why paint them...I've got several pairs I'm sure will fit you!! LOL!!! Time for the 'Swap and Shop' to get activated on the board!!! :welcome:

formerly...

#58 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 10:35 PM

So when did you manage to sneak a dive in with me????    :unsure:

So just how stealthy are you???? Have you managed to get the time off to dive Bonaire???? Inquiring blondes want to know??? :welcome:

formerly...

#59 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:57 PM

So when did you manage to sneak a dive in with me????    :unsure:

So just how stealthy are you???? Have you managed to get the time off to dive Bonaire???? Inquiring blondes want to know??? :welcome:

You'll get the answer through the usual back channels. Be at the drop site at the agreed upon day and time and you will be contacted. Of course we will deny we ever had this conversation. This message will self destruct in ten seconds.......

#60 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 12:17 AM

:ph34r: Stealthy as a ninja-diver emoticon? Now that's stealthy... :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users