• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

0 Spots Available Feb 2-9, 2008 Saba St Kitts Eastacia St Martin Liveaboard

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#106 Miket

Miket

Getting started

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Nitrox 150 Dives
  • Logged Dives:150 not All Logged But my Computer will not Lie

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:08 AM

I just checked my E Mail and did not get anything from them regarding this port charge. That extra charge is garbage and as a group we should not pay it.

#107 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:07 AM

Hey eveyone I will check into this and let you know. Port fees are not controlled by any vessel and can unfortunately be raised or lowered at any time for any reason. Not the smartest thing for ports to do that rely on tourism but their call.

Let me find out what is happening and get back to you. Thank you! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#108 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:10 PM

Ok, MikeT, Liz and I are all getting in at the same time. How about Divingwahine? What time does your flight get in? We might as well all meet up at the airport and go from there.

Are you all flying home direct out of St Kitts or is any one else going back to St Maarten?

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#109 culture corals

culture corals

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Cert Level:open water
  • Logged Dives:8

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:34 AM

Can you email me today so we can wrap up the transaction.
It does not look like there is a big turn out so far for the other trip :diver:
Maybe I'll just go for a refund
pm me about my cultured corals

#110 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:12 AM

It does not look like there is a big turn out so far for the other trip :diver:

Come to Bonaire with us!!!

#111 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:56 AM

It does not look like there is a big turn out so far for the other trip :tears:

Hey Blane,

For whatever it's worth :diver: Don't let the size of the group bother you on this trip. Utila and Deep Blue is a great place to go. The folks at Deep Blue are good people and no matter how many others are there you will have a good time. It's a perfect place for a person that is diving with out their partner because the whole place has a family feel about it. That is how I ended up going there the first time several years ago. My normal dive buddies which were family members could not go on a trip with me and then the trip got canceled anyway so I found Deep Blue and went there by myself, I have been going there ever since, in fact at least once a year for the last few years.

Anyway, give it a shot, you'll love the place.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#112 Miket

Miket

Getting started

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Nitrox 150 Dives
  • Logged Dives:150 not All Logged But my Computer will not Lie

Posted 12 January 2008 - 01:52 PM

Kamala,
In light of all that has happend with this trip I would like to get a confirmation from Explorer Ventures. I did not get an E mail from them with regards to this this new port charge that Parrotman did, so it makes me wonder if they ever got my info that I faxed to them. I know that you also sent in my information. Please ask them to confirm and who knows, maybe they will have a cancellation and you will be ble to join us.

Thanks Mike

#113 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

Kamala,
In light of all that has happend with this trip I would like to get a confirmation from Explorer Ventures. I did not get an E mail from them with regards to this this new port charge that Parrotman did, so it makes me wonder if they ever got my info that I faxed to them. I know that you also sent in my information. Please ask them to confirm and who knows, maybe they will have a cancellation and you will be ble to join us.

Thanks Mike

I'm with Mike on this. I would really like a confirmation from the boat. I would also like to know exactly how much this is going to cost. This new port fee thing on top of what seems to be an undisclosed "temp fuel surcharge" and now I read on their website that their is an additional departure fee of $20 on top of the departure fee from the airport. We seem to be looking at an additional $250 to $300 that I did not budget in when I booked the trip.

I'm sure that the folks at SD are on top of this but I would feel more comfortable at this point with something in writing.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#114 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:45 PM

Kamala,

Thanks Mike

I'm with Mike on this. I would really like a confirmation from the boat. I would also like to know exactly how much this is going to cost. This new port fee thing on top of what seems to be an undisclosed "temp fuel surcharge" and now I read on their website that their is an additional departure fee of $20 on top of the departure fee from the airport. We seem to be looking at an additional $250 to $300 that I did not budget in when I booked the trip.

I'm sure that the folks at SD are on top of this but I would feel more comfortable at this point with something in writing.

Jim

I have requested this information and expect to have a reply on Monday. As soon as I know I will let you all know. A couple of things...

1. This trip was price protected at 2007 prices for our members so you are paying $1595 rather than the new price of $1695 for 2008 departures. Click here for EV's price sheet.

2. The fuel surcharge did go up from $65 to $100 per vessel effective Jan 1, 2008. I was in Australia when this notice was sent and in the Holiday rush I forgot to update the thread. :cool1: I have not seen the $85 amount you refer too...would you email it to me?

3. Please see below for clarification on most of your additional pricing questions. The main trip post says the following are not covered in the trip price:

Price Does Not Include:

Airfare
Airport transfers (averages $10-$15 each way)
Friday evening dinner on the 17th
Rental, instruction and retail charges
Crew gratuities (usually 10-15% of trip for a liveaboard)
Trip Cancellation Insurance (we have great pricing on trip insurance see below)
Nitrox Upgrade of $150 per week
Fuel surcharge of $65 AS OF JAN 1, 2008 THIS IS NOW $100 not $85 so will clarify this.
Departure taxes (approx US$25)
Marine park diving fees, Port Fees Caribbean
Explorer II (approx $3/dive at Saba, $15 pp at
Statia) MY UNDERSTANDING IS THESE ARE NOW INCLUDED IN THE NEW $115 fee. (They used to charge $3 per dive in Saba but this was hard to collect so they have gone to a flat rate along with an increase to cover improvements being made to the port.)

So I show worst case you will pay $30 for transfers, Dinner Friday, Tips, Nitrox of $150 if diving it, Fuel Surcharge of $100 (possibly $85), Departure taxes approx $25, Marine & Port Fees of $115 instead of approx $60 based upon 15 dives in Saba + Statia fee) or a total of $90 more than what was originally posted in the first post on this trip.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#115 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

Kamala,

Thanks Mike

Jim

I have requested this information and expect to have a reply on Monday. As soon as I know I will let you all know. A couple of things...

1. This trip was price protected at 2007 prices for our members so you are paying $1595 rather than the new price of $1695 for 2008 departures. Click here for EV's price sheet.

2. The fuel surcharge did go up from $65 to $100 per vessel effective Jan 1, 2008. I was in Australia when this notice was sent and in the Holiday rush I forgot to update the thread. :cool1: I have not seen the $85 amount you refer too...would you email it to me?

3. Please see below for clarification on most of your additional pricing questions. The main trip post says the following are not covered in the trip price:

Price Does Not Include:

Airfare
Airport transfers (averages $10-$15 each way)
Friday evening dinner on the 17th
Rental, instruction and retail charges
Crew gratuities (usually 10-15% of trip for a liveaboard)
Trip Cancellation Insurance (we have great pricing on trip insurance see below)
Nitrox Upgrade of $150 per week
Fuel surcharge of $65 AS OF JAN 1, 2008 THIS IS NOW $100 not $85 so will clarify this.
Departure taxes (approx US$25)
Marine park diving fees, Port Fees Caribbean
Explorer II (approx $3/dive at Saba, $15 pp at
Statia) MY UNDERSTANDING IS THESE ARE NOW INCLUDED IN THE NEW $115 fee. (They used to charge $3 per dive in Saba but this was hard to collect so they have gone to a flat rate along with an increase to cover improvements being made to the port.)

So I show worst case you will pay $30 for transfers, Dinner Friday, Tips, Nitrox of $150 if diving it, Fuel Surcharge of $100 (possibly $85), Departure taxes approx $25, Marine & Port Fees of $115 instead of approx $60 based upon 15 dives in Saba + Statia fee) or a total of $90 more than what was originally posted in the first post on this trip.

The $85 was my mistake I was looking at a different trip. That is why I referred to the undisclosed fuel surcharge because there is no where in writing on their website what the charge is going to be.
I understand that most of the fees listed are not included on the main trip price and it states that in the original post. What I have a problem with is the boat raising the port fees and the fuel surcharge fees after the fact.
We as customers in good faith book and pay for a trip in advance. We should not be in the postition of increasing fees at the whim of the boat operator. Not good business practices in my opinion.

I would not normally post an opinion like this but I must say, so far I am not impressed with the Explorer Operation.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#116 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:18 PM

The $85 was my mistake I was looking at a different trip. That is why I referred to the undisclosed fuel surcharge because there is no where in writing on their website what the charge is going to be.
I understand that most of the fees listed are not included on the main trip price and it states that in the original post. What I have a problem with is the boat raising the port fees and the fuel surcharge fees after the fact.
We as customers in good faith book and pay for a trip in advance. We should not be in the postition of increasing fees at the whim of the boat operator. Not good business practices in my opinion.

I would not normally post an opinion like this but I must say, so far I am not impressed with the Explorer Operation.

Jim

Jim the fuel surcharges and all fees are on EV's site here. Go towards the bottom of the page and you'll see a link to the fuel surcharge letter as well here.

ALL liveaboards have been hit quite hard by rising fuel rates. Between fuel to run the boat and generators they are fuel hogs. Most of the other Liveaboards have raised their fuel surcharges higher than EV's or were higher to start. And their costs are more as well. This is the most value based operator in the market giving great service for great value.

Fortunately you will be quite impressed when you dive with them. If they were not an outstanding organization I would not run as many trips as I do with them. Ask the Jan 08 Bahamas group. the Dec 07 Australia group. last year's Saba group which INCLUDES LIZ who is on this trip AGAIN THIS YEAR.

In fact if this were not an steller vendor they would be holding my feet to the fire for unfilled spots on Feb 9-16 which I had originally signed up for. Fortunately they have only asked me to adjust divers on this trip rather than supply divers for the week after. I am very appreciate of this gesture. Again as I said in my message to the group, they were more focused on solving problems than placing blame. - Kamala

formerly...

#117 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:07 PM

Jim

Jim the fuel surcharges and all fees are on EV's site here. Go towards the bottom of the page and you'll see a link to the fuel surcharge letter as well here.

ALL liveaboards have been hit quite hard by rising fuel rates. Between fuel to run the boat and generators they are fuel hogs. Most of the other Liveaboards have raised their fuel surcharges higher than EV's or were higher to start. And their costs are more as well. This is the most value based operator in the market giving great service for great value.

Fortunately you will be quite impressed when you dive with them. If they were not an outstanding organization I would not run as many trips as I do with them. Ask the Jan 08 Bahamas group. the Dec 07 Australia group. last year's Saba group which INCLUDES LIZ who is on this trip AGAIN THIS YEAR.

In fact if this were not an steller vendor they would be holding my feet to the fire for unfilled spots on Feb 9-16 which I had originally signed up for. Fortunately they have only asked me to adjust divers on this trip rather than supply divers for the week after. I am very appreciate of this gesture. Again as I said in my message to the group, they were more focused on solving problems than placing blame. - Kamala

I guess at this point all I can say is we learn through our mistakes. I find this no different than showing up at the aiport to get on your plane and having the gate agent say that your flight has gone up $100, oh well and if you don't like it too bad. You can either pay the money and get on the plane or lose the money that you paid and stay home. No difference that I can see.

I shall bow out now from further comments on this thread as I am afraid that I may end up saying something that I might regret.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#118 culture corals

culture corals

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:29 PM

It does not look like there is a big turn out so far for the other trip :cool1:

Is that the singles week ? If so that one I want to go on.

#119 culture corals

culture corals

Getting started

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:33 PM

It does not look like there is a big turn out so far for the other trip :cool2:

Hey Blane,

For whatever it's worth :cool1: Don't let the size of the group bother you on this trip. Utila and Deep Blue is a great place to go. The folks at Deep Blue are good people and no matter how many others are there you will have a good time. It's a perfect place for a person that is diving with out their partner because the whole place has a family feel about it. That is how I ended up going there the first time several years ago. My normal dive buddies which were family members could not go on a trip with me and then the trip got canceled anyway so I found Deep Blue and went there by myself, I have been going there ever since, in fact at least once a year for the last few years.

Anyway, give it a shot, you'll love the place.

thanks for the advice and pm.

well any size group is a blast if the company is good :cool1:
middle of a divorce, significant other had been not too faithful.

so just want to get away, dive drink rum with some females to
hopefully like my wounds, or at least do a few shots with me

Jim

#120 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:19 PM

It does not look like there is a big turn out so far for the other trip :lmao:

Is that the singles week ? If so that one I want to go on.

Yes, that is a singles week :teeth:

Come with us!!! You know you want to :-D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users