• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Frequent Fliers Security

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:16 AM

I found this as they just added Denver as one of the airports that support it. A tad pricey at $99, but if it speeds you through security, it may be worth it

http://www.flyclear.com/

#2 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:26 PM

So they finally got it going. Not many airports yet, not many of the busisets ones, but the number should increase. How often would you need to fly alone, since it would not get your companion thru, to justify such - especially if it only benefits you on one end of your trip? Every month? I'd think a lot more often.

Then once you make Elite, they lose you as a customer. At any busy airport, I just show my card and get the fast line, even if I am flying a different airline - and can take companions with me. Saves me about an hour wait at times, like it did both ways in Ft.Lauderdale recently.

Edited by DandyDon, 09 January 2008 - 12:27 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#3 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 01:36 PM

So they finally got it going. Not many airports yet, not many of the busisets ones, but the number should increase. How often would you need to fly alone, since it would not get your companion thru, to justify such - especially if it only benefits you on one end of your trip? Every month? I'd think a lot more often.

Then once you make Elite, they lose you as a customer. At any busy airport, I just show my card and get the fast line, even if I am flying a different airline - and can take companions with me. Saves me about an hour wait at times, like it did both ways in Ft.Lauderdale recently.

Depends if you fly for work or not. I do about once a month and given a couple of disasters in the Denver airport, once a year it could save me a missed flight and $100 change fee. Easily paying for itself.

And its airline independent. My Premier works great if I am flying out of a United terminal, but doesn't do me any good if I am flying out of a terminal not served by them.

#4 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

At any busy airport, I just show my card and get the fast line, even if I am flying a different airline - and can take companions with me. Saves me about an hour wait at times, like it did both ways in Ft.Lauderdale recently.

What card are you showing Don? My FAA badge gets me nowhere since I would still have to wait for Sandy.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#5 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:43 PM

At any busy airport, I just show my card and get the fast line, even if I am flying a different airline - and can take companions with me. Saves me about an hour wait at times, like it did both ways in Ft.Lauderdale recently.

What card are you showing Don? My FAA badge gets me nowhere since I would still have to wait for Sandy.

AND WELL WORTH THE WAIT I MIGHT ADD!!!! :P
Known puker

#6 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 02:54 PM

The sentence right before that: "Then once you make Elite, they lose you as a customer." I show my Delta Elite card or my Board Pass marked Sky Team Elite and go to the short line, taking any companions. Also works at boarding the planes.

George, have you tried using the other airline's card? I'm showing a Delta card for terminals not serviced by Delta as I'm flying Continental.

Edited by DandyDon, 09 January 2008 - 02:55 PM.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#7 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:39 AM

There is NO WAY I would be willing to PAY for the "lovely" experience we currently call "security" at our airports.
Oh... I mean pay AGAIN! You already pay for the experts to xray your liquids and shoes (which any 5th grader knows can not detect explosives) as a fee paid in your ticket price.
What gall to suggest that anyone pay for the wonderful experience we call TSA twice!
NO WAY!

Edited by secretsea18, 10 January 2008 - 06:41 AM.

#8 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:25 AM

There is NO WAY I would be willing to PAY for the "lovely" experience we currently call "security" at our airports.
Oh... I mean pay AGAIN! You already pay for the experts to xray your liquids and shoes (which any 5th grader knows can not detect explosives) as a fee paid in your ticket price.
What gall to suggest that anyone pay for the wonderful experience we call TSA twice!
NO WAY!

Well, not to defend the TSA, as I think they are incompetent boobs that couldn't find their arse with both hands and a road map,

BUT, the xray is not to detect explosives, but rather the parts that detonate them, which are largely made of metal, containing wires, electronics, etc. and are easier to see than the material itself, which is harmless without the hardware. Dogs can detect explosives, but for some reason the TSA doesn't use them. I gather the handlers can't outsmart their charges and the dogs keep looking for Scooby Snacks rather than bombs.

I totally agree with you, not only am I not willing to pay for a quicker and even less thorough check at the airport, but I think it is a total sham it is even available at all. Terrorists could get these cards the same as anyone else. Alot of hijackers don't have a criminal past, they belong to "sleeper cells" and act just like everyone else until they get activated.

The security screening process needs to be overhauled to actually work. I had my shooting gloves in one of my bags for the Cozumel trip (don't ask, I don't know why they were there), adn I had to go through special screening, and they never detected the powder residue on those gloves ( boy was I a little nervous when I saw them though).

On top of working, it needs to screen everybody the same unless you set off an alarm, be that a dog, xray machince, or you have 3/4 of the markers of your average suicide bomber. This pass, the "elite" cards, etc are all weakness' in the system that nefarious characters can exploit....
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#9 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:15 AM

NO WAY!

Well, not to defend the TSA, as I think they are incompetent boobs that couldn't find their arse with both hands and a road map,

BUT, the xray is not to detect explosives, but rather the parts that detonate them, which are largely made of metal, containing wires, electronics, etc. and are easier to see than the material itself, which is harmless without the hardware. Dogs can detect explosives, but for some reason the TSA doesn't use them. I gather the handlers can't outsmart their charges and the dogs keep looking for Scooby Snacks rather than bombs.

I totally agree with you, not only am I not willing to pay for a quicker and even less thorough check at the airport, but I think it is a total sham it is even available at all. Terrorists could get these cards the same as anyone else. Alot of hijackers don't have a criminal past, they belong to "sleeper cells" and act just like everyone else until they get activated.

The security screening process needs to be overhauled to actually work. I had my shooting gloves in one of my bags for the Cozumel trip (don't ask, I don't know why they were there), adn I had to go through special screening, and they never detected the powder residue on those gloves ( boy was I a little nervous when I saw them though).

On top of working, it needs to screen everybody the same unless you set off an alarm, be that a dog, xray machince, or you have 3/4 of the markers of your average suicide bomber. This pass, the "elite" cards, etc are all weakness' in the system that nefarious characters can exploit....

All the Elite programs do is put you to the front of the screening line, same as first class passengers get to do.

As far as the flyclear program, it basically puts you in the same line that airline employees get to use, and you still have to have your bags screened, etc.

If you have ever missed a flight due to TSA screening lines being very long at the airport, this program pays for itself fairly quickly. There have been times locally where being at the airport three hours early isn't even enough. I would have missed a cruise last Christmas if it wasn't for the fact that the cruise line had booked me in first class on the way to the cruise dock.

Everyone has to make a decision of going through the additional steps of having your biometrics verified and paying the extra money is worth it to reduce your wait times at TSA in the airport. I decided to give it a try.

#10 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:32 PM

Just checked the Fly Clear for JFK airport. Pretty useless as it's only in 3 of 9 terminals and all international. For the caribbean, American is the one to fly... not available. Jet Blue I fly to Texas.. domestic, not available.

What they should do, but they won't, is give pre security screening for American citizens only to get a pass to get around the search and seizure TSA. They waste their time every time they check my bags... heck, I have a security clearance higher than the boobie screeners. Unfortunately they won't since some ACLU type will cry and scream if they don't have one.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#11 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:44 PM

NO WAY!

BUT, the xray is not to detect explosives, but rather the parts that detonate them, which are largely made of metal, containing wires, electronics, etc.

If you have ever missed a flight due to TSA screening lines being very long at the airport, this program pays for itself fairly quickly. There have been times locally where being at the airport three hours early isn't even enough. I would have missed a cruise last Christmas if it wasn't for the fact that the cruise line had booked me in first class on the way to the cruise dock.

The excessively long lines require that you take two minutes extra and ask for ... and wait for them to get you... the TSA COMMENT CARD. Of course, they are not conveniently available, and you need to ask for them. It will feel like it is not worth your time, but when nobody complains about this abysmal agency's performance, then it's like we all like it. Every time my line take longer than the alloted 10 minutes (per the TSA website .. at least a bit ago) I fill out the stupid card. I flew > 90K miles in 2007, and it is really simply unacceptible the way it is currently run. Perhaps we will have some change to look forward to in 11/08 when the guv'ment changes.

#12 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:31 PM

Scubadrewthe statement secretsea18 is referring to is a statement that was made by the head of TSA Kip "KHIAI" Hawley who said when he was hauled before a congressional committee said that the x-raying of all shoes was necessary to detect explosives and other irregularities after the richard reid incident.

The only problem with this is that TSA cant do its orginally assigned job as they repeatedly fail x-ray bag tests with bombs and bomb components in them. The sad one is that TSA taughts its failures like there a good thing when there catch rate on x-ray test improves by <5% but they still fail over 2/3rds of the tests. The only group that has celebrated failures like that was Us Airways after its latest batch of on-time arrival/departure numbers from the FAA where announced.

DD - unfortunately the average person isnt going to be able to get a elite FF level card as they dont fly often enough to get to tat lie, plus CLEAR isnt worth the money because it gains you nothing in the process because you still have to take your shoes off and go through the whole rigamoroll. The only thing it does is lighten your wallet by a $100 a year and subject you to a background check through more three letter agencies then i care to see. Plus also its not like the crew line because the pilots, FA,etc dont have to take there shoes off going through the WTMD or have there bags searched for dangerous goods like a sealed waterbottle and the other harassment that TSA causes.

georoc01 is TSA cases lies to be so long that you miss a flight they should be responsible for paying for your new travel arrangements as well as EU style compensation as theres no excuse for how long they take on the average basis. Plus im not willing to give my personal data to a group that has no liability if it gets compromised and freely reports on me to the government. Its "iniatives" like this that proves that our freedoms are going away one at a time and "all in the name for security".

Capt saaz - i wouldnt call what TSA does a legal SS(and could be construded as a violation of the 4th amendment) as, plus the whole checking IDs "for security" and many other "security policies" are a joke because IDs are not checked againist anything its just used as a dragnet & mission creep that adds nothing to security. Then also i dont know weather to laugh or cry when i read this about El Al's opinion of TSA

Dont get me started about TSA as there are way to many issues with them and it goes in to TOS violation land in a nano-second. Needless to say as much as i hate the IRS i have a better opinion of them then TSA. I will put its simply like this prior to TSA i could get through security in under 5 minutes (IE arrival at the airport 1 hour before departure), now im lucky if if i can clear in under 20 minutes if im extremely lucky...its more like 30+ and to make sure i make my flight i need to be there 2 hours so not to miss the plane. If it takes that much time from me i wonder how much money its costs the economy due to loss of productivity, and other losses as well.

Edited by Scubatooth, 10 January 2008 - 08:38 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#13 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:47 PM

The excessively long lines require that you take two minutes extra and ask for ... and wait for them to get you... the TSA COMMENT CARD. Of course, they are not conveniently available, and you need to ask for them. It will feel like it is not worth your time, but when nobody complains about this abysmal agency's performance, then it's like we all like it. Every time my line take longer than the alloted 10 minutes (per the TSA website .. at least a bit ago) I fill out the stupid card. I flew > 90K miles in 2007, and it is really simply unacceptible the way it is currently run. Perhaps we will have some change to look forward to in 11/08 when the guv'ment changes.

Robin

Well that shouldnt surprise me at all about TSA (ala FT), but if your going to be a customer service org whos customer/employer (via taxes and the 9/11 security fees) is the one that pays your salary you think they could be more hospitable :cheerleader:, but thats not the case as this is only one of thousands of reports i have read over the past couple of years.

oh trust me I have been writing letters and sending emails to congress critters(local ones and the ones on the committees that over sea DHS/TSA), airline ceo's and the like with my problems( and opinions) i have had with TSA traveling last year and it comes down that they need to make a change or I will use my vote to make a change by getting them out.

Dan

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#14 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:01 PM

Robin

Well that shouldnt surprise me at all about TSA (ala FT), but if your going to be a customer service org whos customer/employer (via taxes and the 9/11 security fees) is the one that pays your salary you think they could be more hospitable :welcome:, but thats not the case as this is only one of thousands of reports i have read over the past couple of years.

oh trust me I have been writing letters and sending emails to congress critters(local ones and the ones on the committees that over sea DHS/TSA), airline ceo's and the like with my problems( and opinions) i have had with TSA traveling last year and it comes down that they need to make a change or I will use my vote to make a change by getting them out.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Yes, all this TSA hoopla can really get my blood boiling... especially when the Ma and Pa Kettles around you in the line buy into this crazy insecure "security". But it seems the times are a'changing, as there has been quite a bit of media lately about the circus we all experience at the airport.

Until the wonderful TSOs at Newark airport are able to detect more than their current record of ~10% of the test guns and bombs attempted to be passed through their "security" areas (yep that's right they miss 90% of the guns and bombs attempted to be passed through security in checked and carryon/person at Newark airport. These are published data.) we have a really long way to go.

Off soapbox.....

Robin

#15 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:54 PM

DD - unfortunately the average person isnt going to be able to get a elite FF level card as they dont fly often enough to get to tat lie, plus CLEAR isnt worth the money because it gains you nothing in the process because you still have to take your shoes off and go through the whole rigamoroll. The only thing it does is lighten your wallet by a $100 a year and subject you to a background check through more three letter agencies then i care to see.

Well, I don't think that's what I said. All I think I said was that any flyer who travels often enough to justify the $99 card (not the average flyer) would not likely get one a second year as they'd probly qualify for elite by then.

This probly is not worth a separate thread, but Travel Alert!: Effective January 1, 2008, the Department of Transportation will prohibit loose lithium batteries in checked baggage. Details here

I don't think many of mine spare batteries are lithium, but I will have to check thru them. My dive camera does use a rechargeable lithium battery, but the spare is usually in my roll on anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users