• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Frequent Fliers Security

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:15 AM

DD

Clear was a good idea in theory but inreality is a flop and will go away in the future because it wont be sustainable. for the biz traveler that is correct for the rest its not worth it anyways because it doesnt speed up the process or less then intrusion on your privacy.

Im well aware of the Lithium issue as i posted a thread about it a week or so ago. This new policy is so poorly written that it is useless without having detailed notes on how to decipher it (also in that thread). Then ontop of that TSA is the one enforcing (adding to the other things they cant get right now) it but as usual they are making the rules up on the fly and changing at the drop of the hat as there have already been reports of batteries being taken that where allowed under the rules and taken anyways. Needless to say i know the rule and if some TSA agent thinks there gonna take them or any of my property theres going to be a issue as they wont be taking anything away from me.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#17 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:12 AM

Im well aware of the Lithium issue as i posted a thread about it a week or so ago.

Oh ok, missed it. I was away, guess I overlooked it when I did check in.

I've had TSA confiscate things out of my bags when I was unable to watch the inspection.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#18 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:57 AM

Im well aware of the Lithium issue as i posted a thread about it a week or so ago.

Oh ok, missed it. I was away, guess I overlooked it when I did check in.

I've had TSA confiscate things out of my bags when I was unable to watch the inspection.

You are ALWAYS supposed to be present for the inspection! You hopefully filled out one of those cards I mentioned, as they basically STOLE your property! They can and should reimburse you.

#19 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:29 AM

RE the moron talking about shoe bombs, AFAIK xrays can't point out explosive compounds, only components, and while it may seem like dumbing it down for the media or just using semantics you would think the agency in charge of this and the people running it would pay a little more attention to detail. Stupidly I know someone who uses those IPOD shoes, and flys to races with them in his carryon bags and has never been questioned. That is shoes with sensors, wires and transmitters in them. Go figure...

RE missing flights because of lines, there is no excuse for this, if you are within 20 minutes of your boarding time the agent walking the line shoujld bump you to the front, that is why they are there. You should not need nor get preferential treatment for elite status with airlines, I don't care how much money you spend on your tickets, airport screening is not the same as flying in the leather recliners. The flight attendants may let you board first, but you can darn well wait in the TSA lines with the rest of us.

RE filling out the comment cards? Why freaking bother, no one at TSA can read...

edit- by moron I mean the TSA guy, not Tooth :welcome:

Edited by ScubaDrew, 11 January 2008 - 06:30 AM.

Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#20 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:23 AM

RE the moron talking about shoe bombs, AFAIK xrays can't point out explosive compounds, only components,

Drew... the "moron" that Tooth was refering to ... Kip Hawley ... is the man in charge of TSA. And yes, he did indeed state that the xrays can detect explosives in shoes, as well as the concept that limiting your shampoos and lotions to fit into the "kip-zip" baggie could prevent a "liquid concocted bomb", hence the "war on water" we now endure, as well. Yes, Kippie is our TSA-czar.

#21 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:32 AM

RE missing flights because of lines, there is no excuse for this, if you are within 20 minutes of your boarding time the agent walking the line shoujld bump you to the front, that is why they are there. You should not need nor get preferential treatment for elite status with airlines, I don't care how much money you spend on your tickets, airport screening is not the same as flying in the leather recliners. The flight attendants may let you board first, but you can darn well wait in the TSA lines with the rest of us.

RE filling out the comment cards? Why freaking bother, no one at TSA can read...

Elite Line access is one of the privileges that the airlines provide to their frequent customers. Just a part of what the airlines offer you. If you flew that much and spend that much money with the airline, the privilege might be worth it to you too. And frequent flyers don't always sit up front, especially on many elite heavy routes.
The "agent" walking in the TSA area has nothing to do with the airline anymore and is a TSA agent. They don't give a crap about what time your flight is or that you might miss it. Back in the good old days when the airline ran the "security" in the airport, they would move those with close flights up in the line (which was never very long then anyway) This is no longer an issue.

Yes the literacy level of the average TSA agent is not something to be proud of, however, the FSD of the airport is supposed to get them, and it was recently reported that they read each one and respond. Of course, I have never gotten a response, but since these cards are at least counted and the number of CC's filed are reported... saying nothing is just like agreeing that the system is just fine with you. I do fill in the card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users