• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

My shameful secret and big important question...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaStacy

ScubaStacy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Rescue.
  • Logged Dives:190+

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:06 AM

Since I'm new to the board, I might as well get this out in the open.... I can't wear a wetsuit.

I know what you're thinking but believe me I've tried! I wore a wet suit around my house for two weeks once, cleaning, doing laundry etc (yeah I'm amusing to my neighbors to say the least) :cool2: I really wanted to acclimate myself, just feel comfortable in it.

No luck! Once in the water it freaks me out and feels horrible. So I dive warm, tropical only and it hasn't been a total hardship.

OK, now the question. I would like to move forward with my dive training - possibly to become an instructor (since that's what I do). I do my training (and someday instructing) in Cozumel. Is it possible to be an instructor if I can't wear a wetsuit?

Don't laugh, I'm serious. :thankyou:
I just want to be underwater!

#2 netmage

netmage

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 15 February 2008 - 10:42 AM

What about a skin...? Or thinner neoprene?

Gosh forbid - a drysuit...?
"I aim to misbehave...."

#3 running_diver

running_diver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

I know what you're thinking but believe me I've tried! I wore a wet suit around my house for two weeks once, cleaning, doing laundry etc (yeah I'm amusing to my neighbors to say the least) :cool2: I really wanted to acclimate myself, just feel comfortable in it.

So where are all the photos? :thankyou:

I second the thought of dive skins and dry suits. Some dive skins are suppose to be as warm as 2-3mm wet suits. You might also try a semi-dry suit.

Does it help to wear something under a wet suit? A thin dive skin is easy to wear under a wet suit and should make it feel different. You can also wear regular clothes under your wet suit, if you don't mind them getting wet.

Ross

#4 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:04 AM

I guess that anything is possible but I think it would be difficult. Don't forget that as an instructor you are responsible for your students and if you get cold their day is over also and then they didn't get their training done.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#5 DivinDave

DivinDave

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Cert Level:Closed circuit rebreather, full trimix and cave.
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

ha ha... :cool2: :diver: (OK ~ got that out of my system)

Hey Stacy... Welcome to sd.com, and I'm glad you got that out in the open right up front....

Its possible to be an instructor wearing nothing at all... :P sign me up for that class!! :thankyou:

But seriously, my first inclination would be to say that the suit you have now (and worn around the house) may not fit correctly. Just like a pair of jeans, a good wetsuit should feel like a second skin and be somewhat comfortable to wear on the surface, and when your underwater, you may not even feel it at all.

Nowhere is there the requirement that you must wear a wetsuit to teach scuba, but you will get the question from a students about wetsuits. Without experience with them, you may not be able to pass on complete understanding and use of the equipment (suits) to your students. However, if you can refer any questions about wetsuits to piers (other instructors or dive masters working with you) then your students should feel satisfied and the training standards will be met.

When you consider wet suits, keep in mind they are intended for exposure protection. (from the environment) Meaning, their primary purpose is to protect you while you are in the water. Being in the water for long periods of time will lower your core body temperature. The longer your in the water the lower your body temperature will get. Even in tropical waters, your body temp will drop, and that can lead to more problems than just a chill on your safety stop. The rate that a persons core temperature changes is different for everybody, so only you will know how long you can expose yourself to ocean water before your effectiveness in supervising students diminishes. (as an instructor, you will be diving for your students, not you, so your primary focus will be the safety, well being, and comfort of your students.)

Also, students have way of getting themselves into situations that may require you to put your body against something like the sharp edges of a rusty shipwreck or the business end of a fire corral. (no fun there)

So, if you find that you need to wear exposure protection, there are (literally) hundreds of different kinds wetsuits!! Some have linings, some are softer, there are shorties, jacket tops, farmer johns, thin skins.... and the list goes on and on. If you find that you do need a wetsuit, there may be one out there that fits you better, and feel more comfortable.

For me, my body type is not in the normal, so i tend to have my suits altered or fitted (just as you might a shirt, dress or suit). Most manufactures have an option for alterations or custom fit. You send in you measurements and they make it to fit your body like a glove!! This can be an expensive option, but in the end, its VERY nice to have a great fitting suit and one that make you look like a million bucks!!

Let me know if this helps, AND, if you do find a suite that you can comfprtably do house chores in, let me know, and I'll send you my address!! :P

David

"I'd rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed..."

#6 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:24 AM

I am all for drysuits and all, but I am not sure if wearing one would be any different than a wetsuit once you get a squeeze going underwater. Since you were already willing to deal with trying to acclimate, maybe you would be willing to go one more mile or two:

Try starting by wearing your wetsuit in the bathtub. Even if you have to start by just submerging your legs and working up to the full body, you can get there.

Next, find a pool that will allow mask, fins and snorkel. Go into the shallow end in the wetsuit. Again, if you have to start on just the steps with only submerging your legs and working your way up to the rest of you, take your time and you can get there.

Once you can do this, work your way up in mask, fins and snorkel in the shallow end of the pool, and then go deeper. Practice all of your skills until you feel comfortable.

Next, go to a dive location with an instructor, and work your way in with full SCUBA gear. You need an instructor to help you out with this to assure that your gear is adjusted properly. Perhaps you are wearing your gear too tightly, but this alone is not enough to make you feel uncomfortable. However, when you add a tight suit to tight, improperly adjusted gear, it puts you beyond the comfort zone. An instructor can spot and work on these issues with you.

The trick is not to allow too much time to pass from one step to the next. Otherwise, you will lose your comfort level. So, plan each step for not too long after completing the prior step.

Next suggestion: Try therapy. A good therapist can get to the bottom of whatever is the fear behind this, freeing you from it so that you can dive and enjoy. It will be worth it!

Last thing: Get a custom made wetsuit made of high grade neoprene that will allow you to move properly and comfortably. If you have a poor fitting, constricting suit on you, no wonder it doesn't feel right. It will cost significantly more than a stock suit, but it will last for many years and will feel good.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#7 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

Since I'm new to the board, I might as well get this out in the open.... I can't wear a wetsuit.

No luck! Once in the water it freaks me out and feels horrible. So I dive warm, tropical only and it hasn't been a total hardship.

OK, now the question. I would like to move forward with my dive training - possibly to become an instructor (since that's what I do). I do my training (and someday instructing) in Cozumel. Is it possible to be an instructor if I can't wear a wetsuit?

Don't laugh, I'm serious. :thankyou:

What Freaks you out??
squezze overall, thightness at neck ( this really bugs me), back zipper-front zipper?? cold water down your back due to movement??
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#8 ScubaStacy

ScubaStacy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:57 AM

Thanks Everyone!

Some great suggestions there and I really appreciate it!

Great news DivinDave on the potential nude instructing, opens up all kinds of options for me! :cool2:

Anyway, just to clarify - I have a woman's style wetsuit that fits fine (as wetsuits go) I've worn it twice while actually diving and I was OK, didn't panic or anything. The dives just sucked for me - I was very uncomfortable, felt confined, hemmed in and worse of all ..... once removed from my environment, if that makes sense? Both times I ended the dives early, came up to the boat and stripped it off as soon as I hit the deck. Showed amazing restraint in not tossing it overboard!

I also tried a dry suit for a couple of dives in Lake Tahoe and that was like not diving at all.

I never get chilled, even after multiple dives daily, over weeks (reptilian?) but it makes sense that as an instructor it'd be wise to have that protection.

Anyway, many great ideas to try and I'm on it! :thankyou:

#9 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

Good luck on getting used to your wet suit. You know that instructing in Mexico would be almost impossible...??
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#10 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:11 PM

Good luck on getting used to your wet suit. You know that instructing in Mexico would be almost impossible...??

it wouldn't be impossible if she has skills that are not prevalent in Mexico

#11 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:23 PM

I had some claustrophobia issues diving locally in a rented 7mm wetsuit. I thought it fit ok, if a bit tight (I'm a fairly big guy), but I was feeling confined and a bit claustrophobic. I ended up getting a custom-fitted 7mm made from Henderson's Hyperstretch material, and it is a lot more comfortable, and for at least the few local dives I did before the air temps dropped below my comfort level. I didn't notice the gear and suit anywhere near as much, at least until I had to walk it up the hill from the quarry. :thankyou:

How confident are you that your suit fits well? Would it make sense to rent/borrow a size larger, to see if that helps?

Do you wear any type of wetsuit/skin when diving tropically?

#12 ScubaStacy

ScubaStacy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

I'm pretty sure it fits - the guy at the dive shop helped me and my daughter was there offering her opinion as well - but who knows.

DiverBabs recommended that Hendersons Hyperstretch also and I'm going to give it a try.

I only wear my swim suit when I dive... and a doo-rag on my head if that counts? :thankyou:

#13 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:09 PM

Are you sure it's the wetsuit? I've had some BC's put the squeeze on me which is one of the reasons I prefer a BP/W. What about it freeks you out because a good stretchy tropical weight wetsuit is hardly there.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#14 ScubaStacy

ScubaStacy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:42 PM

Oh Boy - I wasn't kidding. I'm starting to feel like a big geek!

Yes, I love my BC and I wear it really loose, freakishly loose. So I can feel the water all around me - even on my back, like I don't even have it on.... Maybe I've been diving like that so long that now it's more a matter of I'm just 'set in my ways'?

I really appreciate all the feedback/suggestions and don't want to seem 'beyond' help! LOL

I am going to try the super stretchy wetsuit and see if it's any better before I hang my head and shuffle to the corner in shame.. :thankyou:

If worse comes to worse I'll just keep diving warm water only and sell both wetsuits on EBay!

#15 DivinDave

DivinDave

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Cert Level:Closed circuit rebreather, full trimix and cave.
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 15 February 2008 - 04:18 PM

Posted Image

Stacy... now this guy is beyond help and needs to be in the corner. :wakawaka:

~ you just need warm water, a suit that can keep up with you and a few sharks to play with :thankyou:

"I'd rather attempt something great and fail, than attempt nothing and succeed..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users