• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Something different for 2009...

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,700 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 March 2008 - 01:53 PM

I'll look up the others later.

Ross

:dancing:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 running_diver

running_diver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

Just to throw out some ideas, how about one of Cape Verde, Madeira, or the Azores. I spotted them on a map and thought the diving might be interesting.

Ross

Hey Ross can you do some checking to see what the scoop is on them? :cool1: They are new to me and being in Utila right now I won't be able to look at new destinations for awhile. :dancing:

Madeira:

Getting there. It appears the only direct flights are from Europe. It's apparently only a few hours from London. It looks like last years prices for shore diving + room were about $175/day pp do.

The important stuff. It looks like standard Atlantic rock reef diving with the chance of a few Palagics. The groupers are particularly large. Water temperature varies from around 68 to 77 being warmest around August. It looks like the visibility is about 50'. Much of the diving is shore diving. There is some boat diving and even two wrecks. Diving is only available on one of the wrecks when conditions are just right. The other was intentionally sunk as an artificial reef. Youtube has several videos of dives
and there are some good photos
http://www.madeiradi...tml/photos.html.

Ross

#18 diverb0b

diverb0b

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Cert Level:INSTRUCTOR TRAINER
  • Logged Dives:7000 +

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

As for
the st lawrence river trip contact me directly and I ll help with the trip bookings etc
:dancing: :cool1: :thankyou:

Edited by diverb0b, 10 March 2008 - 04:14 AM.

It will all be a memory tomorrow
I BE DIVING

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,700 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

As forthe st lawrence river trip contact me directly and I ll help with the trip bookings etc
:dancing: :cool1: :thankyou:

Thanks! We've used several operators in the St Lawrence! PM the ops you like the best! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#20 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,700 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:36 PM

Just to throw out some ideas, how about one of Cape Verde, Madeira, or the Azores. I spotted them on a map and thought the diving might be interesting.

Ross

Hey Ross can you do some checking to see what the scoop is on them? :thankyou: They are new to me and being in Utila right now I won't be able to look at new destinations for awhile. :dancing:

Madeira:

Getting there. It appears the only direct flights are from Europe. It's apparently only a few hours from London. It looks like last years prices for shore diving + room were about $175/day pp do.

The important stuff. It looks like standard Atlantic rock reef diving with the chance of a few Palagics. The groupers are particularly large. Water temperature varies from around 68 to 77 being warmest around August. It looks like the visibility is about 50'. Much of the diving is shore diving. There is some boat diving and even two wrecks. Diving is only available on one of the wrecks when conditions are just right. The other was intentionally sunk as an artificial reef. Youtube has several videos of dives
and there are some good photos
http://www.madeiradi...tml/photos.html.

Ross

:cool1:

formerly...

#21 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

I'm thinking a weeklong run out hosted by Dr. Bill would be a hoot!

Hee! Hee! Domestic trips are good. California has always been one that we've wanted to do.... :birthday:

Hmmm... SingleDivers does Catalina. My reputation here would be shot. When do y'all arrive?

#22 running_diver

running_diver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:31 PM

Ross

Hey Ross can you do some checking to see what the scoop is on them? :fish: They are new to me and being in Utila right now I won't be able to look at new destinations for awhile. :birthday:

Azores:
Getting there: I don't think there are any regularly scheduled flights from the US, so that means airfare might be a bit high. I did find mention of charters from the us though. I couldn't find published prices for the hotels or diving, but I didn't look too hard.

The important part. The water temperature varies from the low 60s to the high 60s depending on time of year. The best time to go there is between June and September. The descriptions of the dives sound like standard Atlantic rock reef diving. There are some palegics. Whale watching is another popular thing there, so there is a reasonable chance of seeing whales. There are also lower temperature critters like nudibranchs there. Some pictures:
http://www.aug.edu/~...Azores-2002.htm
http://www.azoresvil....com/diving.htm
http://diveazores.blogspot.com/

Ross

#23 diverb0b

diverb0b

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts
  • Cert Level:INSTRUCTOR TRAINER
  • Logged Dives:7000 +

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

I will send you the list of the best operators on the st lawrence in a few days :cool1: :diver: :fish:
It will all be a memory tomorrow
I BE DIVING

#24 Sassi

Sassi

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

Ross

Ross

Azores:
Getting there: I don't think there are any regularly scheduled flights from the US, so that means airfare might be a bit high. I did find mention of charters from the us though. I couldn't find published prices for the hotels or diving, but I didn't look too hard.

The important part. The water temperature varies from the low 60s to the high 60s depending on time of year. The best time to go there is between June and September. The descriptions of the dives sound like standard Atlantic rock reef diving. There are some palegics. Whale watching is another popular thing there, so there is a reasonable chance of seeing whales. There are also lower temperature critters like nudibranchs there. Some pictures:

Ross

I could help with the Azores - thats where I learned to dive. There are regular scheduled flights to the islands without having to go through Lisbon first; you would use Sata - here is the link http://www.sata.pt/EUA/en/Home/1. I think there are more flights in the summer months, or at least there used to be. There is also Tap and they used to have a direct flight to Sao Miguel, their web site is a little slow right now so I can't check (Continental was the partner airline).

There is a lot of diversity between the islands and its possible to take the ferry between islands if you wanted to try to dive more than one. I dove off of Terceira and Pico. Pico is the best place to see whales. Sao Miguel is the largest island. Flores is the smallest (and tho' beautiful - very very small)

It is not really known as a dive destination so there would take coordination, but I loved it!

Edited by Sassi, 11 March 2008 - 06:18 PM.

#25 grayfins

grayfins

Meeting folks

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, NITROX; Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:365

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:36 PM

Kamala,
I saw that suggestions for the Indian Ocean have been made. I suggest you look into Seychelles or Mauritius for 2009 or 2010.
I have been to both places for a brief period and I know they are both lovely. However, I did not dive when I was there. I will try to do more research, especially about Seychelles.
Bill aka grayfins

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,700 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

Kamala,
I saw that suggestions for the Indian Ocean have been made. I suggest you look into Seychelles or Mauritius for 2009 or 2010.
I have been to both places for a brief period and I know they are both lovely. However, I did not dive when I was there. I will try to do more research, especially about Seychelles.
Bill aka grayfins

Thank you! That would be cool!

formerly...

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,700 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

Ross

Ross

Azores:

Ross

I could help with the Azores - thats where I learned to dive. There are regular scheduled flights to the islands without having to go through Lisbon first; you would use Sata - here is the link http://www.sata.pt/EUA/en/Home/1. I think there are more flights in the summer months, or at least there used to be. There is also Tap and they used to have a direct flight to Sao Miguel, their web site is a little slow right now so I can't check (Continental was the partner airline).

There is a lot of diversity between the islands and its possible to take the ferry between islands if you wanted to try to dive more than one. I dove off of Terceira and Pico. Pico is the best place to see whales. Sao Miguel is the largest island. Flores is the smallest (and tho' beautiful - very very small)

It is not really known as a dive destination so there would take coordination, but I loved it!

Thank you for the update! It helps to have some real world perspective!

formerly...

#28 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,700 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:45 PM

I will send you the list of the best operators on the st lawrence in a few days :diver: :wavey: :cool1:

Thank you! Please send them to me via pm or to kamala@singledivers.com :welcome:

formerly...

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,700 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

I'm thinking a weeklong run out hosted by Dr. Bill would be a hoot!

Hee! Hee! Domestic trips are good. California has always been one that we've wanted to do.... :cool1:

Hmmm... SingleDivers does Catalina. My reputation here would be shot. When do y'all arrive?

Is tomorrow too soon??? :wavey:

Seriously...this could be really :welcome:

But I think we'd IMPROVE your reputation...at least that's our story and we're sticking to it!! :diver:

formerly...

#30 SeaSeeker

SeaSeeker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:42+

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:07 AM

At some point I want to make a trip out to Hawaii. I was thinking of Maui, which looks to have some decent dive ops for day trips. I know there are some liveaboard options, like the Kona Agressor too if that is a preference over a land based trip.

I, too, am interested in a trip to Hawaii. My first dive instructor spoke of Kaua'i as one if his favorite places to dive. He mentioned "lying on the bottom and listening to the whale song" - which sounds pretty amazing to me. There was an article about diving Hawaii in "Diver" magazine Nov 2007 that increased my interest even more. Maui and nearby Lana'i would be a first choice for me. Molikini Islet and the Cathedrals sound very cool. For whales, December to April is the time to go, apparently. Depending on timing around the possible Red Sea / Egypt trip in 2009, I'd be really interested in Hawaii. :thankyou:
Carpe Diem!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users