• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Scam Email

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:44 PM

I get them every once in a great while, variations of the old "Nigerian e-mail scam". Waste of time trying to report them to anybody other than your ISP. I always just look at the domain it came from, and if it's not a common one like Yahoo, etc, I block the domain.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#17 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 25 March 2008 - 01:48 PM

Don, I love it!!! That makes it FUN!!! :D
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#18 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

These pages have info on who to send stuff like this to:

http://www.ftc.gov/spam/

http://www.usdoj.gov/spam.htm

419 scams are "handled" by the SEC or at least they were a few years ago. I only know this because I forwarded the first one I got to the FBI and they responded and told me about a special task force that deals with them. Now I mostly ignore them, but once in a while I read one to see how they've evolved.

Now I get more of the fake cashier check emails than the 419 emails, or at least more get through my spam filter. Those are the ones that what you to receive money for their company. The way they work is to send you a fake cashiers check, ask you to cash it, keep your part and wire the rest to them. By the time the cashiers check bounces, they have your money and you are SOL.

Ross

The second link had info about forwarding investment related information to the SEC. If any get through the spam filters I just laugh and delete... :teeth:

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#19 Cajun Diver

Cajun Diver

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • Board Status:Local diving
  • Cert Level:Open water, nitrox, AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

I usually report spam that makes it through my filters via Spamcop.net, which parses the email to find out what IP sent it to you, and sends a complaint to their ISP and to the ISPs of the websites mentioned. Not as effective on "419" scams, where they are trying to get you into a conversation to pry bank information out of you via email, but still useful.

For amusement, some people bait the scammers and post the responses at places like 419Eater. This is a decent one; I especially like the picture of the scammer holding up the sign "I Shag Sheep"

That 419 site is funny! :teeth: Makes me want to get a scam e-mail so I can bait them :cool1:

Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed. Neil Armstrong & Buzz Aldrin on the moon, Michael Collins in the command module orbiting -  July 20, 1969

It looks like it’s going to be another fine day - John Wayne

#20 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 25 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

That 419 site is funny! :teeth: Makes me want to get a scam e-mail so I can bait them :cool1:

Here's one you can write to. "She" will pretend to remember you....

Posted Image

Hello Dear,

My name is Roselen, Am 35 years of age, am single, b'cos have been into a relationship before and the guy broke my heart and have make up my mind that i will never been into any relationship again but a friend of my told me that Men are not the same and she introduce me to this site and right now am searching for a real relationship and once i saw you on the profile my heart go sraight to you and i belive you like me also this is the email i want you to contact me on Mecus_mec1@yahoo. com and its also the email i use for charting okay you can add me but first i want you to email me if you are interested okay.. Take care of your self and have a wounderful day.

Stay Blessed.

Roselen...

I don't get many on myspace now that I require Captcha codes on mail from non-friend, but now and then. I know a gal who's BF actually sent several thousand to someplace to pay for a ticket for his penpal to come over from Africa. Lost money of course...

Edited by DandyDon, 25 March 2008 - 08:10 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users