• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Water Entry and Head/Tank Contact

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:20 AM

uwfan,
As an instructor, I would recommend diving with some sort of BCD if you haven't been in 12 years. The added weight from a backplate makes it trickier to deal with any weighting issues. Yes now-a-days most BCDs have integrated weights and are more streamlined and comfortable. Also remember to familiarize yourself with all of your rental gear before you head out. BCDs now have a lot more dump valves and more features to make them diver friendly. Also would recommend a refresher if you haven't already taken one. I hope this is helpful and enjoy getting back into the water.

:thankyou:

#17 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 23 May 2008 - 08:19 AM

Some divers take their OW class in a BP. Others only use the BC during class and go directly into a BP.

I love my BP&W. Not sure why I didn't switch to one years ago. I dive a SS plate and use a HP steel tank.
Not much ditchable weight if I am diving a drysuit and cold water. Even less if I am wet suit and warm water diving.

I never could find a BC that fit properly ~ I always had wiggle room and the tank would shift during a dive. Very annoying.
I have always dove a weight intergreted back inflate BC. It was not a tough switch to a BP.

I suggest you try a BP&W and any BC you are considering before you purchase. Check around most divers will let you try their gear.
I know I have lent mine out on dives ~ best to see how you like it

The crotch strap helps keep your gear in place. STA is a single tank adapter (some BP's need them if you are diving a single tank).

If you haven't been in the water in 12 years ~ I strongly suggest a refresher course.
While you might think you remember it all ~ you really should get a tune up before heading out.
Its always good to have the information fresh in your mind.

Edited by gis_gal, 23 May 2008 - 08:23 AM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#18 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:08 PM

uwfan,

BCDs now have a lot more dump valves .....

:o

More than two? Top, bottom and where else?
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#19 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 23 May 2008 - 02:03 PM

Thanks guys. I hit my head once 10 years ago when a 6 ft swell rocked the boat and I wasn't quite ready to go. I haven't done that kind of entry since and have a fear of it. ~ D :thankyou:
(and Hi fingrabber! )
Ain't love a BEACH?

#20 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

Ok. The discussion has gone into BP&W, I've been thinking this option as a travel setup which will be my only use as I only tropical dive.
I've checked out the link to Deep Sea Supply. Like the idea of single tank KYDEX with a 17 or 24 lb wing. So I have 2 questions/

Anyone use DSS products and your opinion of same.

DSS wings look as though inflator/ deflator is the only way to vent wing. Does not appear to have a pull dump valve as traditional bc's. Is this a problem or just a new learning curve after purchase.

Sorry if I hijacked the topic.
Thanks--Stan
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#21 uwfan

uwfan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 May 2008 - 05:59 PM

Thanks everyone! I will take up any offers to try gear on the Tortugas trip. I'd like to see how different things work. I'll be doing a refresher next Saturday and have a trip planned with my sister in Curacao in June to ease back into the water with 2 dives a day for a week. I figure that will get me refreshed for Tortugas, five a day seems daunting but I am told nitrox will help and I just finished my enriched air course (also helped refresh me on using tables...though I'll plan to have a computer to dive nitrox!) :thankyou:

#22 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 23 May 2008 - 07:11 PM

Ok. The discussion has gone into BP&W, I've been thinking this option as a travel setup which will be my only use as I only tropical dive.
I've checked out the link to Deep Sea Supply. Like the idea of single tank KYDEX with a 17 or 24 lb wing. So I have 2 questions/

Anyone use DSS products and your opinion of same.

DSS wings look as though inflator/ deflator is the only way to vent wing. Does not appear to have a pull dump valve as traditional bc's. Is this a problem or just a new learning curve after purchase.

Sorry if I hijacked the topic.
Thanks--Stan

My travel BP&W is a DSS Kydex with a 22# wing, neither it or my cold water BP&W have shoulder pull dumps and I originally thought I would add an OMS pull dump but have gotten use to this set up. Only place I've missed it was in an overhead enviroment and going negative among sharks where raising your hand above your head probably isn't a good idea :thankyou:
I found the DSS dump hose to be too short to use with my combo inflator and subsituted an OMS hose but that is the beauty of a BP&W, you can mix and match brands.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users