• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

NBC Dateline covers Great Barrier Reef Death

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sara_the_Brown

Sara_the_Brown

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW - Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:22

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

I caught the last few minutes of this story on Dateline last night and followed up with it online today.

Dateline's Mystery of the Deep

A newlywed bride drowned while diving the GBR and husband is looking very suspicious. While it is a sad story regardless of how/why she died, all I can think is that as a novice diver, she was way out of her league and her husband should not have pushed her to do it.

#2 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:02 AM

Well, I found 8 inconsistencies and I was not even looking. Just the DC download alone is enough to investigate this.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#3 Bubbles

Bubbles

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:400-ish

Posted 20 May 2008 - 07:21 PM

I've had interest in this story for quite some time now. Since the couple is from the Birmingham area, there are regular updates in the local news. In fact it was reported in the paper today that the husband dropped his lawsuit against the trip insurance companies that denied his death benefit claim. It appears he filed the claim just a couple of days after the accident. Click here to view the story.
"If life gives you limes, make margaritas." – Jimmy Buffett

#4 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:16 PM

....I read about this story a long time ago..... to me, it's obviously a murder, with insurance $ the motive...... I'm the farthest thing from being an attorney......wonder if this will end up in civil court and involve monetary damages...like the O. J. Simpson case ? I have no idea if what happened is 'provable' in a criminal court of law.....but IMHO, he's a killer and deserves the chair! his story is so full of B.S., and his dive computer and the "bear-hug" witness make this a slam dunk common sense case.

#5 EASY

EASY

On a roll now.....

• Premier Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:36 PM

Nice to see he put his Rescue Diver certification to use...NOT! If they haven't come to a conclusion after 5 years, I doubt he'll ever pay for this horrid act. A very sad story that had me screaming at the TV. :teeth: They just had to show this story as I was signing up for the Tortuga trip! There better not be any bear hugs or I'll freak! :cool1:

#6 Sara_the_Brown

Sara_the_Brown

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW - Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:22

Posted 18 June 2009 - 12:38 PM

Follow up on this story - He made a deal and will only serve 1 year. The Australian proscutors are appealing.

More on MSNBC

#7 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

IMHO, he's obviously guilty and is getting off easy. He needs to get sent back to the US to serve his time in a Federal prison, where they don't suffer weenies like him lightly.
I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#8 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

IMHO, he's obviously guilty and is getting off easy. He needs to get sent back to the US to serve his time in a Federal prison, where they don't suffer weenies like him lightly.

Unless they are rich and/or famous.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users