• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DM Training

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 28 June 2008 - 12:09 AM

Wow, what a wealth of information and tips. Thanks! so, I am reading I am doing a hybrid version of DM training and a traditional internship is perhaps better? I did my OW in 2.5 days, so really don't want to "cram" my DM training - I will be here a while, and I do want to enjoy the training. My instructor is Canadian and her mantra is to make her DM's insprational divers that set a good example to others... There are two other instructors - but they both have full time jobs and spend less time instructing. Anway, thanks for all your advice and I may well contact you direct with any further Q's. right, off to swim now! :thankyou: Thanks again everyone!

Edited by weescot, 28 June 2008 - 12:15 AM.

Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#17 robcgould

robcgould

Getting started

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Cert Level:IDC Staff Instructor
  • Logged Dives:I have lost too many log books to really know, 2000+

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:00 AM

I am reading I am doing a hybrid version of DM training and a traditional internship is perhaps better?...... Anway, thanks for all your advice and I may well contact you direct with any further Q's. right, off to swim now! :thankyou: Thanks again everyone!

I am not sure if you are doing a hybrid version. The standards of the organisation that I am affiliated with (HECK, I am a PADI Instructor... There I said it! What is the deal with not mentioning names anyway?!?!?!) state that there are two methods of gaining experiance dealing with both student and experianced divers. An Internship or a set of 'practical' (simulated) exercises. They both have merits but I feel that the Internship provides both real life situations and the opportunity to learn about Instructor styles, attitudes and methods. You MUST complete ALL of one type of training.
The manual says it better, but here is an overview:
Practical - You are placed in a simulated training situation, guided by your Instructor that provides you with a 'fake' student that is told to have difficulties.
Internship - You are required to accompany and act as a DM. You will actually do a briefing, help students, guide certified divers, provide logistics etc. You really get the feel of being a DM because you are being one!
Enjoy your swim!
'Good Divers are ALWAYS Learning'

When you jump out of a plane, you are dead until you do something!

I crack me up! - ALF

#18 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 28 June 2008 - 08:19 AM

The internship was the better experience for me. I assisted on two OW classes with ocean checkouts plus, SCUBA reviews and guided tours off a local island drift dive. You always learn more by doing. It opened up my eyes to a lot of things that I would hope make me a better diver in the long run. You meet so many personalities too that a 'simulated' scenario just cannot match.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#19 SquattingRadishDM

SquattingRadishDM

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Divemaster, Dry Suit....eventually the IDC...then Paradise
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:15 PM

The most useful tip I'd offer is to talk to the other students and divers that you are supervising, especially the ones that don't necessarily want to talk :cool2: Obviously the biggest hurdle for most of your students will be nerves and their fears, so try and offer lots of reassurance and positive feedback. Brash or younger students may need slowing down. But try and work out what that particular person needs at that given time.

Don't be afraid to act swiftly if you need to intervene in a situation for safety reasons. Trust your judgement and if you end up doing something incorrectly your instructor will go through it with you.

Oh and take a few extra weights loose in your pockets to dish out to people underwater should the need arise.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Edited by SquattingRadishDM, 30 June 2008 - 05:17 PM.

The sea does not belong to despots. On its surface iniquitous rights can still be exercised, men can fight there, devour each other there, and transport all terrestrial horrors there. But at thirty feet below its level their power ceases, their influence dies out, their might disappears.
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence. There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
Jules Verne. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.

#20 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 01 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

I think that the internship is the way to go, as it's real life diving. I've worked a few OW classes now as part of my PADI internship (one Rescue class to go (August), and my instructor gives me THE CARD); this past weekend we had a student bolt for the surface while doing skills during the second OW dive. He was predicted (gut instinct) as a bolter possibility by the instructor (extremely experienced), as he was nervous about getting water in his mask/up his nose during pool sessions, and then it really happened... DMs were watching him and were able to intervene in his ascent before it got ugly (luckily the platform was only in 25 feet of water). After a heart to heart, he was okay the rest of the weekend, and got certified. Nothing replaces what you learn in real life.

As Squatting Radish says (now THAT's a screen name), another part of the internship is that you do get to know the students--there are many different personalities, and they all react differently under stress and under water; they also all take the class and pool sessions differently and with different degrees of seriousness, and some don't really care at all about the academics. Most are pumped about getting certified, but some are doing it to please somebody else and act accordingly.

Yep, you will also learn to dive overweighted...at least with students. And if you're working with a shop, they MAY try to make you buy all new gear to match what they're selling...
I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users