• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Motion Sickness Meds

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 uwfan

uwfan

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

What seasickness meds do you use? Why do you use it? I hit some choppy water (unusual they said) in Curacao last week and fed some fish. Guess I wasn't as "okay" with motion on boats as I thought... Can use some opinions on what kind of meds you use, TIA.

#2 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:05 PM

I am known to quickly announce on a boat - KNOWN PUKER. :tears:

Normally I wear the "patch" - which is a RX. The last 3 trips (Hawaii, Bonaire and Fiji) I had trouble with them falling off all the time. Not lasting one dive. So...........last week in Hawaii - I bought some Meclazine (sp?) Over the counter stuff - used it in Kona and didn't feed the fish one time. (I had fed them twice in Maui) :-D

Good luck!

Edited by Starfish Sandy, 22 June 2008 - 02:05 PM.

Known puker

#3 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:19 PM

I've used the same stuff as Starfish Sandy will great results!!

3 trips to the North Carolina wrecks and I've never been sick! I should have used it when I did the Flower Gardens in April, but didn't because I ran out of time to pick any up at the local RX. It really is good stuff :tears:

#4 shawnabbott

shawnabbott

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 22 June 2008 - 02:24 PM

i've used bonine or it's generic equivalent with great success...i keep it and eardrops in my dry box on the boat, oh, and vitamin S too...they are there when I need them. Last week in belize there were swells so I was glad to have them.

#5 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:57 PM

I am told ginger works great. I haven't gotten sick on a boat (knock on wood) so haven't tried it yet.

Edited by gis_gal, 22 June 2008 - 03:57 PM.

Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#6 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 22 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

While I'm not prone to seasickness, I've given ginger ale or ginger beer to fellow boat passengers who have experienced mal de mer, and it always seemed to help. For someone who is prone to seasickness, a stop by the local vitamin shop for some ginger pills might be a good strategy.

Rick

:tears:

#7 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:31 PM

DAN Article on Motion Sickness Meds

DAN Article on Motion Sickness Part II

DAN Article on Motion Sickness Part III

DAN Medication Description Article

Remember that diving adds an addition dimension to physiology. See a qualified doctor before using any of these methods at depth. If you have specific questions then call DAN. Whether you are a member or not (and you should be IMHO) they are happy to answer all your dive Q's.

DAN Non-Emergency Medical Questions
1-800-446-2671 or 1-919-684-2948, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm (ET)

DAN Contact Info
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#8 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:54 PM

Bonine (Meclizine Hydrochoride) OTC at your drug store. Cherry flavor and chewable. I take 1 each night about 2am or whenever you wake up early am. I use it though out the dive trip every night. Works great for me on land based resort. Never been on a liveaboard, there I may opt for Rx patch with small waterproof dressing on top. Stay away from over drinking the night before and heavy greasy breakfast. :cool2:
Good luck. Ss
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#9 Margarita

Margarita

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:168

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:17 PM

Meclizine - Bonine or "less drowsy" Dramamine works well for me and for lots of folks, without as much sedation as regular Dramamine. I experience none. The Dry Tortugas will be my first liveaboard, and I am planning to use the Scopalomine patch for extra protection. The waterproof dressing is a great idea. I HATE being seasick.
Be happy for this moment. This moment...is your life.
Omar Khayyam

#10 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:55 AM

I am told ginger works great. I haven't gotten sick on a boat (knock on wood) so haven't tried it yet.

Nope, I was married to Ginger and she always got seasick :cool2:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#11 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:56 AM

I used to use Transderm Scōp. It's a small patch you wear behind the ear good for 3 days. Prescription only, at least in the US. I tried it on the advice of some local divers who swore by it, and it worked pretty well. No side effects that I noticed; only major cavaet is to make sure you wash your hands after handling it, since it'll blur your vision if you touch the patch's medicated side and then your eyes.

I don't use it anymore because I'm working on my pilot's license, and the FAA takes a dim view of pilots on prescription motion sickness medication. Doesn't matter than even entering/exiting stalls and spins doesn't impact me (much) and I only would use in on boats and not fly while using it. :cool2:

#12 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:53 AM

I use Dramamine. It worked for me when I got car sick as a kid, and I've stuck with it ever since. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. That's probably why I still dive my SCUBA Pro MK1 reg occassionally too.

I buy the generic at Wall Mart. It's the same ingredients and about 1/5th the price.

Edited by BubbleBoy, 23 June 2008 - 08:53 AM.

BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#13 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:06 AM

I use Dramamine. It worked for me when I got car sick as a kid, and I've stuck with it ever since. If it ain't broken, don't fix it. That's probably why I still dive my SCUBA Pro MK1 reg occassionally too.

I buy the generic at Wall Mart. It's the same ingredients and about 1/5th the price.

Ditto. It works great. I do get a little drowsy sometimes but nothing serious. But that just means I get an afternoon nap poolside!! :P :birthday:

Fred
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#14 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 23 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

there's a product you can try as well called Relief Band

it's electronic and you wear it on your wrist. The cool thing is it will work at anytime. You don't have to use it before you get sea sick, you can use it when you actually are sea sick. I tried on on the Spree in April. I was ill in my bunk and Capn Frank let me borrow on of the ones they have. It was great! 2 minutes and I was fine again!

Sea Urchin had the same issues I did. She put on the Relief Band and was back to her usual self in minutes :D

it really was amazing to me :tears:

#15 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:38 PM

Well there might be a problem getting the OTC versions for a little while. Today on a day off I hit no less then 8 pharmacies (2 Sams, 1 CVS, 1 walgreens, 1 walmart, 1 Kroger, and a Albertson's) and all of them where out of the OTC versions of Meclizine, and where manufacture backorder and have been for 6 months. The irony in this was that they all had the RX versions available and plenty of it.

The cruel joke is that there is no difference in the forumlations, its just that the OTC stuff is listed for Nausea and Vomiting, and the RX version is listed for Inner Ear vertigo and thats it.

Anybody in the Dallas area know where i can get some for the FG trip next week as i really dont want to be feeding the fish, and needing to take other drugs that would keep me from diving.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users