• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

We need a 'Trip Insurance' discussion section.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:40 PM

I'd like to suggest SD.com have a 'section' where questions/information with respect to dive/travel insurance matters can be discussed. It's frequently suggested on SD.com that divers consider purchasing trip insurance but I don't see central location where this subject can be discussed. I just saw an interesting thread over on Scubaboard which generated a question in my mind that I'd like to see addressed, but don't see where such a thread should be posted here.

My question involves just aborted Flower Gardens/FLING trip thread where the trip was cancelled after the very first dive, one of the trip leaders suffered an 'undeserved DCI hit' and the Coast guard helicopters were deployed elsewhere and unavailable for an evacuation, so the Coast Guard told FLING to bring the diver back itself........as a result, the rest of the trip was a bust, and all the other divers suffered a complete 100% financial loss on the trip as FLING doesn't do refunds under such circumstances.

My question is, is there any such thing as trip insurance that would have covered divers under such circumstances...I'd hate to have to 'eat' a dive trip due to the 'authorities' being 'busy'.

Thanks!

Karl

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:04 AM

This forum will work for now until we figure out if we need to add other forums.

As for answering your question...

If you had purchased trip insurance you would have been covered for the incident referenced above. The trip was cancelled due to extenuating circumstances to no fault of your own therefore it qualifies.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:09 AM

Good suggestion and great question to kick this off!!

Thanks scubafanatic!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#4 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:07 AM

I just found this thread, and it would be GREAT if further info could be posted here, to assist our members to understand WHEN trip insurance should be purchased when taking an SD.com trip, and why the timing of the insurance purchase is so important.

For instance, I've heard it said that we should purchase the trip insurance before our last payment is made to SD.com for the trip. I don't understand why the timing of purchasing trip insurance is tied to making payments to SD.com. As long as I purchase the insurance before the trip AND before any extenuating circumstances occur, the policy should be valid, right? It's also difficult to know how much insurance to purchase until you gather all your receipts for trip items you paid for, such as the trip, add-on side trips, and various flights -- flights being the stickler for me -- I may wait for a last minute airfare bargain! And what if we buy insurance now, but add on trip options later because they were posted after we signed up?

So, just bringing this back to the top so we can add some material content for other members to read & understand (including me!) :birthday: I know WW is currently in Belize, so I'll PM her a link to this post so she sees it when she gets back.
Posted Image

#5 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

One thing that should be included in the discussion is what the insurance exclusions can be, which at times is based on when the insurance is purchased.

(Insurance in some cases will NOT cover you for hurricanes, for instance, if purchased after the storm has been named.)

Certainly this varies from carrier to carrier, so people's experiences with varied insurers will be of interest, as well.

PPM

Edited by PlatypusMan, 10 January 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#6 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

In my experience, I have not had any issues with buying trip insurance after having made full payment for the trip. In fact on one trip I bought the insurance several months after paying for the trip in full.

As for Kamalas post about the cancellation part as described, not to contradict Kamala, she is the Queen after all :fish:

BUT - on my trip to PNG we had a diver on the boat that had to be flown back to Australia for a medical emergency and it meant having to take a day to go back to port where he could be taken off the boat and then transported. It was not a big deal to the divers on the boat however when I got home I called my trip insurer to see whether they would have covered this if it had been more than the day and they said no. They claimed that the sick diver should have had evacuation insurance and that if they had used that, the trip would not have been interupted. My point being, make sure that you ask if this is covered, don't just assume it.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#7 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:16 PM

In my experience, I have not had any issues with buying trip insurance after having made full payment for the trip. In fact on one trip I bought the insurance several months after paying for the trip in full.

I agree, there is not an issue buying insurance at any time up to the time you leave on a trip. They'll certainly sell it to you! :respect: I have always waited to purchase the insurance until after I'm sure there are no more add-ons....

However, I have heard that there are issues getting paid back by the insurance company if you cannot go on the trip for a reason which is covered by the policy, if you bought the insurance after you made your final payment for the trip itself.

Just wanting clarification, since others have asked me if I know how trip insurance works, and I have to admit that I don't!
Posted Image

#8 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

I thought you bought extra trip insurance for lost equipment, trip cancelations etc.. thru your DAN policy ?
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#9 scubaski

scubaski

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

I buy trip insurance on same day payment in full is made. I use the SD.com link to CSA Travel Protection. I also used the link that imbeds SD.com vendor ID for non SD.com trips that I want to purchase insurance on. I buy for trips during prime hurricanne season dates and package trips that include land hotel and dive packages and airfare that I purchase on my own. These trips usually cost more that $1000.00 and I'll pony up another $75-125 for trip insurance. You definitly need to buy insurance before any NAMED Tropical storms to be covered.

I have filed a claimed against the CSA insurance for a trip that we needed to be evacuated off Roatan during Hurricanne Felix. Insurance covered all lost costs and added costs for evacuation flight. Paper work wasn't to bad and payment was fairly prompt. This insurance doesn't cover for lost or stolen equipment.

I have priced out CSA vs DAN trip insurance and usually CSA is cheaper. DAN does have the option of buying trip and equipment insurance.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#10 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:03 AM

Great feedback, Stan, for a claim made when insurance is purchased at the time your final payment is made for the trip itself.

Anybody been denied your claim because you bought the insurance a day or more after your final trip payment?
Posted Image

#11 Greg@ihpil

Greg@ihpil

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD. PADI ,Nitrox -SDI
  • Logged Dives:225

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

I'd like to suggest SD.com have a 'section' where questions/information with respect to dive/travel insurance matters can be discussed. It's frequently suggested on SD.com that divers consider purchasing trip insurance but I don't see central location where this subject can be discussed. I just saw an interesting thread over on Scubaboard which generated a question in my mind that I'd like to see addressed, but don't see where such a thread should be posted here.

My question involves just aborted Flower Gardens/FLING trip thread where the trip was cancelled after the very first dive, one of the trip leaders suffered an 'undeserved DCI hit' and the Coast guard helicopters were deployed elsewhere and unavailable for an evacuation, so the Coast Guard told FLING to bring the diver back itself........as a result, the rest of the trip was a bust, and all the other divers suffered a complete 100% financial loss on the trip as FLING doesn't do refunds under such circumstances.

My question is, is there any such thing as trip insurance that would have covered divers under such circumstances...I'd hate to have to 'eat' a dive trip due to the 'authorities' being 'busy'.

Thanks!

Karl

This is a test.
Posted Image
Greg
: Posted Image
E= pluribus Forum Enjoy the view. ,Do unto others:respect

#12 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:21 AM

I also had to file a claim with CSA for days of lost diving in the Caymans due to a hurricane. Their service was excellent and payment was prompt.. and they have always been cheaper than DAN.

I always do buy my insurance when I make my first payment. It is usually easy to estimate additional costs... use expedia to estimate airfare etc, and add a small cushion. The main cost is usually the trip itself anyway. Don't forget that if you have made serial payments and for some reason (before the trip occurs) something happens to cancel the trip for YOU (personal) or for the group.. (operator issues etc), your payments could be lost. And if you are a last day insurance buyer, you won't have coverage at that point yet. If you cancel for personal reasons, and SD has already guaranteed to the operator, and no one can be found to take your place, you will lose the money, since SD cannot eat that cost. (Or whomever you are booking with). For those of us on the Red sea trip, that is already a couple thousand dollars. I assume that is why Kamala advises buying at the time of the first payment. But she can clarify further. Of course look very carefully since several policies do NOT cover personal reasons cancellations. Similar to coverage for pre-existing medical conditions, it is frequently an add on.

Another option for people who travel and dive a lot is Diveassure. They have several tiers of coverage. I like and use their diamond plan now. A bit pricey, but it covers you the entire year... for all diving trips made. If you take more than two significant dive trips a year and buy insurance for both, the cost approximates this single policy.

#13 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:10 PM

I also wanted to mention that several years ago I had a trip booked on the Nekton and shortly before I was to leave on the trip I was down sized out of my job. I made a claim on the trip, I was not going to go since I needed to find a new job and the insurance company paid with no problems at all. I only had to supply a letter to the insurance company from my employer that I was unemployed through no fault of my own. .

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

Hey gang...in Belize right now but will help you all with these questions when I get back into the country! kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 j274

j274

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:35+

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:21 PM

Newb Question : Where is the link to CSA Travel Protection?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users