• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Clear Lake, Oregon - They say it rivals most anything in clarity!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:09 PM

So on Sunday, July 20, 2008, we coordinated a dive shop dive day to Clear Lake, Oregon. For many of the group, including me, this a first time experience in diving the lake. We had 30+ people on site with 23 of us diving and over half were dive professionals. Everyone participated in an amazing pot-luck. It was quite the event. I regaled the group with my fantastic culinary skills having prepared Rice Crispy treats and Fruity Pebbles crispy treats. The Fruity Pebbles crispy treats were a hit with the experience of eating them described as "getting punched in the face with a lemon!" Posted Image

Many of the divers, including me, were also taking the Altitude Specialty course which is a very useful and informative course for diving the local mountain lakes or traveling in our area after diving as we have many mountain passes (for example I go over 4 passes on the way to my parents in Southern Oregon). The course was co-taught by two good friends and colleagues of mine, Jon and Kerri.

Jon was also celebrating his 1,000 dive. To honor the occasion a number of us pitched in and presented him with an full Argon pony bottle, first stage and LP hose, and brackets as well as a commemorative certificate. The dive shop also presented everyone in attendance with gift certificates ("jontificates") to the shop in honor of such a wonderful milestone.

The drive to the lake through the mountains is beautiful and took me past some places I hadn't visited since late night crazy college mountain runs. With the gas prices as they are, we were all very carpool conscientious. There were 5 of us in a Ford 350 and the driver, our dive shop owner, insisted he was maintaining optimal gas conservative speeds. I would not be able to argue with him since among many of the vehicles we were passed by one was a luxury RV bus (the kind you expect country singers to be)...pulling a huge boat...being driven by my grandmother... :) He did speed up slightly when I mentioned that in the side mirror I thought I saw a moped scooter pulling a boat signaling to pass us. :)

Clear Lake, located about 2.5 hours Southeast of the Portland/Vancouver area or about 75 miles East of Eugene, OR, is surrounded on three sides by 9,000' tall snow-capped mountains at an elevation of 3,012' and is primarily fed by snow runoff from nearby Mount Washington and the surrounding areas. Sources state the runoff filters through underground caverns for more than 20 years before emptying into Clear Lake. Clear Lake also serves as the headwaters of the McKenzie River, which is the sole source of drinking water for Eugene, Oregon.

Clear Lake is reported to be one of the most exceptional freshwater dive spots in the United States, a certain unique experience. Submerged in the lake are upright preserved trees that were killed approximately 3,000 years ago when volcanic activity created the lake, bubbling springs, eerie neon green foliage, and weird little stick bugs underwater (plus some little red dots that I swore had legs and were also moving). The trees are remarkably preserved due to the cold year-round water temperatures of between 35–43 °F. The lake has two main bodies connected by a fast moving bottleneck which presents some fair water movement when in that channel, in all other places underwater the water is serene. The bottom composition is a thick ash so extremely clean finning is a must. I recommend that scissor kick divers stay 10' above the bottom whereas frog kick divers have no issues skimming the bottom (you can see evidence of this in the photos). Visibility can ebb into the 100'+ range at times.

While the water is colder, with appropriate dive wear the temperature was manageable. The amazement of the underwater views took most divers' attentions anyway. I would like to do dive this lake again, but plan on a camping weekend next time to fit in a moonlight dive as well. Join us next July on our return trip? :)

I have attached some photos from our dive day. Enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• ClearLake1.jpg
  • ClearLake2.jpg
  • ClearLake3.jpg
  • ClearLake4.jpg

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:41 AM

What an amazing dive experience - and that viz - incredible! I really wish I'd known about this dive when visited Oregon 2 years ago.... Perhaps a reason to return again sometime! :) thanks for sharing :)
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#3 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:53 AM

Spectacular clarity and great photos. Reminds me of those pics you see of water clarity in the arctic. I would love to dive a place like this at night.

Also reminds me of a similar setting I once hiked into with some friends while in college. It was a much smaller lake called Papoose lake in the Trinity Alps, northern CA. Crystal blue water with a mountain ridge rising about 1,500 ft. above the lake surface on three sides and the lake emptying into a 400ft waterfall on the fourth side. There was an ice flow off the mountain ridge that ran into and under the lake surface; must have been about 40ft deep. You could have dove above and below the ice, but, we didn’t dive on that trip since it was a 30 mile walk in.

Just curious how deep you were diving in Clear Lake and what tools you used to adjust your dive plan for the altitude?
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#4 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

I think I need to plan a trip "home" next July.
Have always wanted to dive this lake.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#5 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:45 AM

Had a former colleague tell me about this locale, should have hauled my gear up there during the numerous business trips to the area.
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

Just curious how deep you were diving in Clear Lake and what tools you used to adjust your dive plan for the altitude?

The lake is deeper than 100' in places. We planned for and adjusted for altitude in many ways. Since we were diving shortly after arrival to the lake having driven up from sea level, we first adjusted our pressure group upon taking in to account the small surface interval that occurred from gear set-up and briefing. Each buddy team then planned their dive depths and adjusted times using a dive table and altitude table. Each diver actually planned their dives out separately, then compared calculations with their respective dive buddies. Those divers diving computers checked to see if they needed to be manually adjusted for altitude or if the had automatically adjusted, but the previously calculated and planned dive depths and times were still the dive plan. Those divers diving EANx made additional planning and adjustments as appropriate.

My instructors checked my work twice. I think I was being hassled! :)
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#7 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

DG
Thank you so much for posting such a informative Dive/Trip report and those pics are truly Awesome!

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#8 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:12 PM

Awesome dive report! Thanks for sharing!

I've been to this lake many times, but all during the years I wasn't a diver, so I would welcome the opportunity to travel up there again for diving. Count me in!

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#9 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

hey WW this maybe a spot to think about diving next time we go up to the PNW...Say next year as my drysuit should be here by then and i should be used to it.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

hey WW this maybe a spot to think about diving next time we go up to the PNW...Say next year as my drysuit should be here by then and i should be used to it.

Clear Lake is about 2.5 hours Southeast from the Portland/Vancouver area (about 75 miles East of Eugene, OR). It would need to be its own dive day as it is its own destination. The area has many picnic tables and a covered entertaining area where we held out potluck, so it can accomodate a number of people. Carpooling is recommended as parking spots close to the dive entry area are not as abundant. Depending on the time of year you visit, you would need to confirm you can access the lake. There were still clumps of snow on the ground on July 20th. The lake is not accessible year round, but depending on our winter access may range 4-6 months of the year. :birthday:

#11 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:47 PM

For those of you who may be experiencing issues opening the image thumbnails, I have posted larger photos below. :teeth:
Posted Image
Photo by Jon Daane

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

Posted Image
Photo by Jon Daane

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:49 PM

Posted Image
Photo by Janna Nichols

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

Posted Image
Photo by Janna Nichols

#15 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:01 PM

Sweetness!

That's pretty clear water. I am guessing this is uncommon. I have never been diving in a lake so I have no point of reference.

And what are those on the surface in the last pic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users