• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Clear Lake, Oregon - They say it rivals most anything in clarity!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:03 PM

Sweetness!

That's pretty clear water. I am guessing this is uncommon. I have never been diving in a lake so I have no point of reference.

And what are those on the surface in the last pic?

It is uncommon viz for us in the PNW in both lakes and salt water. The last picture is from underwater looking up at the bottoms of boats.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#17 Blue-Fish

Blue-Fish

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 18 August 2008 - 04:03 PM

Nice Pics Nicole, you want to go do a full moon light dive sometime? :unhappy:

Steve

#18 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:08 PM

Nice Pics Nicole, you want to go do a full moon light dive sometime? :unhappy:

Steve

I do! I hear it is beautiful. I was to make a return trip this Summer, but have a few conflicts so I may not be able to until the start of next season. Do you recommend camping in the area for the moolight dives?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#19 Blue-Fish

Blue-Fish

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 24 August 2008 - 12:15 AM

Yes, the camping is great. Bring a tent and some marshmallows. :-) Plus in the spring the skeeters are not so bad. I dove Waldo Lake last week and it was also quite clear, (I would guess 80 to 100 ft vis), but there is nothing in it. No fish, crawdads, or much of anything, but the mosquitoes topside were bothersome. They are going to limit Waldo to non-motorized boats in 2009 just like Clear Lake.

Steve

P.S. Say Hi to Janna.

Nice Pics Nicole, you want to go do a full moon light dive sometime? :cheerleader:

Steve

I do! I hear it is beautiful. I was to make a return trip this Summer, but have a few conflicts so I may not be able to until the start of next season. Do you recommend camping in the area for the moolight dives?

#20 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:44 AM

P.S. Say Hi to Janna.

Will do!

#21 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:45 PM

Looking good...
Keep wanting to hit it as a campout... will get there eventually, so living the life through pics...

ps. doing Salt Creek on the 6th if you're wandering around up here..
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#22 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 01:45 PM

I actually dove Clear Lake again this past Saturday with a group of 10 divers. The deeper portion had much lower visibility, but I was able to dive further into the shallower part which had great visibility. The water was as cold as I remembered and I doubled up my 3mm gloves under my 5mm gloves. :P

Drive up was again GORGEOUS! I really would like to camp there though as one day is just not enough for the topside area. We cooked out again in-between dives. Note to self: remind boys to bring gas grills. While there are fire pits and the guys brought coals, the pits don't have suitable grates to bbq on. We had to whittle (no joke Grandpa) ourselves some skewers and made big chicken kabobs. It worked fine, but I think some of our group were too city to find much humor in the situation.

Leaving the lake instead of heading back the way we originally came, we headed out Hwy 20 toward Corvallis to meet up with some other friends for a girls night. The drive on Hwy 20 rivals 22 in simple beauty. The only drawback - slow drivers in a Prius. I enjoy the scenery with the best, but don't mind making good drive time while I do!

More bbq in Corvallis with evening cocktails and wild conversations under spectacular skies drew the day to a fine close. Then it was up in the am for breakfast at the Broken Yolk before heading back home.

I'm assisting with classes every weekend of September, otherwise Salt Creek would have sounded great! :cheerleader:

#23 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 26 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

I couldn't help notice that there were no fish or vegetation in any of the pictures. Were there any in the lake?

I also noticed that the bottom was sand, not detritus, like most lakes where I've dove. I suspect that it's not that biologically productive, which is a major reason why it's so clear. In any event, it sounds like it was a great time.

Rick

:P

Fantasy and reality should rub shoulders but never merge. - Stan Lynde, creator of the "Rick O'Shay" comic strip, which featured a character named "Hipshot"

#24 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

I actually dove Clear Lake again this past Saturday with a group of 10 divers. ......

I'm assisting with classes every weekend of September, otherwise Salt Creek would have sounded great! :P

Looking good. thanks for the info...
If you plan on doing it again in Spring, let me know...
see ya in the water...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

#25 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

I couldn't help notice that there were no fish or vegetation in any of the pictures. Were there any in the lake?

I also noticed that the bottom was sand, not detritus, like most lakes where I've dove. I suspect that it's not that biologically productive, which is a major reason why it's so clear. In any event, it sounds like it was a great time.

There are fish in the lake, which support recreational fishing. The lake supports a population of native cutthroat trout and is stocked with rainbow and brook trout. They just didn't hang around long enough for photo ops. Also, the bottom is actually not sand, it is mostly white volcanic ash (which gives it a sand-like appearance).

The clarity of the lake is thought to result from several factors. One is that the lake is fed by groundwater that is filtered through miles of volcanic rock before emerging. Another is that reportedly the lake is poor in plant nutrient materials and organisms and rich in oxygen. Interestingly, however, there are huge patches of yellow-green and brown algae carpeting the bottom of the lake and clinging to lava boulders. The cold water temperature is believed to be another factor in maintaining clarity (which is consistent with our increased visibility in the Winter months in salt water in the PNW) and then the white volcanic ash reflects sunlight, which means for the first time in my diving in the PNW I did not actively carry a light.

It is my understanding Crater Lake, Oregon has many clarity similarities to Clear Lake. While I swimmed in Crater Lake in my teens, I have not dove it as of yet. There is a permit process and then the hike down and back with all gear is somewhat daunting. I have added "seek out boy scuba sherpa" to my dive plans for that site! :cool1:

#26 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:21 PM

2010 Update: I returned to Clear Lake this year two different times as an Altitude Diver Instructor certifying 8 divers. Our first trip was in August and as hard as it was to believe, it was the best water conditions I had ever experienced in the lake. The clarity and colors were simply jaw dropping. This past week we experienced an unseasonably warm spell so a small group of us headed back up on Friday to sunny skies and topside highs in the 70s.

Attached Thumbnails

• SSSDivers0810-17.jpg

#27 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:28 AM

very cool!
Known puker

#28 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

I don't live very far from Clear lake. After seeing the pictures I may just have to man up someday go for a dive. I just hate cold water :verysad:
Sea Turtle advocate!

#29 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:33 PM

I don't live very far from Clear lake. After seeing the pictures I may just have to man up someday go for a dive. I just hate cold water :verysad:

You live in Bend, OR. You can't walk around Bend in flip flops and board shorts year-round. When it gets cold you put on warmer wear. That's all that we do when we dive cold water. I would never want to miss out on cold water diving. What we can experience in our waters cannot be experienced in warm water. Nothing says the Pacific Northwest the way an octo bigger than yourself does... :D

#30 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

Waldo Lake is next on the list.. Clear was amazing.. I'm told Waldo is mo'better...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users