• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

YMCA Scuba program ending this year

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:44 PM

According to THIS LINK, the YMCA Scuba program is ending after this year.

Anyone have any thoughts or remembrances of the Y program?

PPM

#2 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:55 PM

I have been a YSCUBA instructor for almost 15 years - don't write the program off just yet. The only thing we know for sure is that effective Jan 1, 2009, YMCA of the USA is withdrawing its sponsorship of a YMCA-branded SCUBA certification program. There is an effort underway to spin the program off as an independent operating entity, with its own leadership and oversight. This will be a Good Thing, and I am optimistic that the necessary agreements can be worked out with YUSA to transfer ownership of the program.

Many of us are still passionate about YSCUBA, and are anxious to see the program continue in some form or fashion. Hopefully we will know something definite by the time DEMA rolls around this year.

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#3 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 19 August 2008 - 10:08 PM

I for one sincerely hope a way will be found to continue it. I have no first-hand experience of it, but its reputation is unassailed and there has been way too much "dunning down" in the scuba certification industry.

#4 justscuba

justscuba

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT, EFR INST,HSAI
  • Logged Dives: about 2250 cert 1973

Posted 20 August 2008 - 06:30 AM

I have been a YSCUBA instructor for almost 15 years - don't write the program off just yet. The only thing we know for sure is that effective Jan 1, 2009, YMCA of the USA is withdrawing its sponsorship of a YMCA-branded SCUBA certification program. There is an effort underway to spin the program off as an independent operating entity, with its own leadership and oversight. This will be a Good Thing, and I am optimistic that the necessary agreements can be worked out with YUSA to transfer ownership of the program.

Many of us are still passionate about YSCUBA, and are anxious to see the program continue in some form or fashion. Hopefully we will know something definite by the time DEMA rolls around this year.

-JimG

Is SSI taking it over??? That is what I am hearing around here. I just want to any certification going away we need more scuba divers and ones who will look after our water.

#5 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

Is SSI taking it over??? That is what I am hearing around here.

I have heard nothing like that, so I would say it is just rumor. I have been in personal,. direct contact with the people who are trying to spin off the new agency, but don't know much more about it than what I posted above. I am trying not to bother them with questions right now (since they have a lot to deal with already), but I understand that they are hoping to have some kind of official announcement in time for DEMA. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will be able to continue YSCUBA training "as is", and with minimal interruption.

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 20 August 2008 - 12:47 PM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will be able to continue YSCUBA training "as is", and with minimal interruption.

Keeping my fingers crossed too! While not a YMCA instructor, it doesn't take much to see the program as solid and the instructors as dedicated, both of which help introduce scuba to people.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#7 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

New names to consider for the new agency:

PADY

NAYI

SSY

ACYC

:birthday:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#8 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:25 PM

I was certified by two FABULOUS YMCA instructors. They were both great instructors and I am still close friends with one of them! :cheerleader: I think the course I had was great - and I had to take it twice. :birthday:
Known puker

#9 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 20 August 2008 - 01:49 PM

I've been a YMCA Assistant Instructor for almost twenty years, and I'd be lying if I said that I (and most of the folks I've taught with) didn't see this coming.

I completely agree with peterbj7 about the industry "dumbing down" the standards for certification. Unfortunately, from a marketing viewpoint, too many people want the instant gratification of a shorter, easier course.

Rick

:birthday:

#10 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

Question of semantics for any other pedant out there - is it "dunning" or "dumbing"? I always thought it was the former, derived from a reference to "Dun & Bradstreet", though obviously the latter gets the sense over perfectly well.

#11 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 21 August 2008 - 08:37 PM

I hate to think about losing any of our agencies.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#12 JimG

JimG

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

Question of semantics for any other pedant out there - is it "dunning" or "dumbing"? I always thought it was the former, derived from a reference to "Dun & Bradstreet", though obviously the latter gets the sense over perfectly well.

It is "dumbing" as in "dumbing down". "Dunning" is the present tense of "dun", which means "to demand payment". For example, a letter requesting payment of a debt is often referred to as a "dun letter".

-JimG (whose mother was an English major)
Will DIR for food!

#13 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

I don't know - I can think of one or two who don't contribute much. What I call "me too" agencies, just set up to cash in.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users