• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Ocean City, MD -- Northern Pacific

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

Last weekend my buddies and I took a trip to Ocean City, MD to dive with Ted Green on the OC Diver. It was a great trip.

Although the OC Diver isn’t a large boat, there is more than enough room to comfortably sit 6 divers plus their gear—two set of doubles, 3x Gavin scooters, and assorted deco bottles. Plus, there are bunks forward for a quick nap while you get to and from the dive site. Ted is a knowledgeable captain and personable—he takes time to answer questions and share diving stories.

Our first dive (Friday) was to the Northern Pacific-a 509’ long ocean liner which caught fire and sank in 1922. She lies at 140’ in cold water.

We planned for two, two man teams with a max bottom time of 30 minutes with limited penetration. We used 21/35 for back gas, 50% for deco and a 6cft bottle of air for our dry suit inflation. My buddy and I were matched with double ST 130s and AL 40 deco bottles; the other team was equipped with the same set up but they had their Gavins (mine remained on deck).

We splashed as a group and hit the downline and got to the wreck where we broke up into our teams to explore the wreck. The viz was about 25’ but we were on a wreck so it was fine. We followed the hull to a break and went inside the wreck—I was in front. After a while my buddy signaled me to exit and when I turned around I saw why-our bubbles were causing silt and particulate to fall off the wreck and decrease visibility. We exited and continued our dive to explore this once proud ship.

At the halfway point we turned and headed back to the anchor line where we met up with the other team. At 30 minutes we thumbed the dive and began our ascent. During our ascent we ran into a layer of crud starting at about 40’ to the surface. It was horrible—even with our 18W HID’s we needed to remain within touch contact the entire time. That layer of crud stood with us the entire weekend. But overall it was a great dive.

After a 2+ hour surface interval we hit the water again to explore the Northern Pacific one more time (similar profile).

10 5 minutes
20 10 minutes
30 3 minutes
40 1 minute
50 1 minute
60 5 minutes
70 5 minutes (switch to 50%)
80 30 seconds move
90 30 seconds move
100 30 seconds move
110 pause
|
|
|
|
140 begin ascent

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

Great report! I felt like I was there!

So how cold was cold???

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for sharing, and yeah how COLD was it? :teeth:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 solodiver in nj

solodiver in nj

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Cert Level:aow
  • Logged Dives:+/-300 ? (not logged)

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

Vinny,
It's a nice wreck, right! We used to hit it out of Cape May, NJ, although have not been on it for awhile. Next time you are up this way give me a shout. Think about the S-5 sometime (same area basically), not visited too often, lots of marine life. How long did it take to reach the Northern Pacific from Maryland?

#5 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 22 October 2008 - 04:22 PM

Vinny,
It's a nice wreck, right! We used to hit it out of Cape May, NJ, although have not been on it for awhile. Next time you are up this way give me a shout. Think about the S-5 sometime (same area basically), not visited too often, lots of marine life. How long did it take to reach the Northern Pacific from Maryland?

A long time...but after setting up my gear I went below for some shuteye! We mentioned the S-5, but we decided to hit the "terror wreck" instead, but we got blown out. I definately want to hit the NJ wrecks...how much longer are you guys diving?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users