• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

A question for Rescue divers...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: The Pocket Mask (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you carry the pocket mask with you when diving?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (11 votes [91.67%])

Percentage of vote: 91.67%

3. Sometimes (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

If you don't have it with you, is it near by (i.e. in the car or on the boat)?

1. Yes (6 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

3. Sometimes (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Do you bring a pocket mask with you when travelling?

1. Yes (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. No (6 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Sometimes (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:33 AM

I am teaching my first rescue class as a PADI instructor and my student asked me an interesting question: Do you dive with your pocket mask? I honestly answered, no. Then I thought about all the training I've been through and how the pocket mask is the best method to give rescue breaths in the water.

I'd be interested to see how Rescue divers answer this question. I never really thought about it until last night and after all my training I should know better.

:cheerleader:

#2 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:52 AM

What's a pocket mask? I guess you will teach me that when I get in your rescue class.

#3 Oceangirl

Oceangirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:57

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:26 PM

I am teaching my first rescue class as a PADI instructor and my student asked me an interesting question: Do you dive with your pocket mask? I honestly answered, no. Then I thought about all the training I've been through and how the pocket mask is the best method to give rescue breaths in the water.

I'd be interested to see how Rescue divers answer this question. I never really thought about it until last night and after all my training I should know better.

I am taking my rescue course right now.... my instructor was going through the list of things that I should be carrying with me now, and of course the pocket mask was one of the main things to have. Having all this new info in my head I will probably carry one with me, but I am curious to know what other rescue divers will say!!

#4 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 24 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

No I don't dive with it. Its in my gear bag, figured I would use regular mouth to mouth in the case I did need it until I could get someone to get my mask to me.

Of course, I don't carry a pocket mask with me when I am walking around either. There is one in my car, my house and I know where we have them at work. I know they have those key chain masks, but I have felt I can get by till I get one to me.

My rescue instructor said she does dive with hers if that helps.

#5 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:01 PM

Sandy,
This is what a pocket mask looks like. You will learn about them in the EFR (Emergency First Response) course as well as the Rescue course.

Posted Image

#6 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:28 PM

Sandy,
This is what a pocket mask looks like. You will learn about them in the EFR (Emergency First Response) course as well as the Rescue course.

Posted Image

Ah Ha! That's what that is. They gave me one of those with my books. Haven't had a chance to check all that stuff out yet.

#7 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 01:44 PM

d

Edited by ScubaPunk, 24 September 2008 - 01:45 PM.

#8 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

I get asked the same question everytime I teach rescue, actually 2 weekends ago and I guess i will get asked in 2 weekends when I do another. I just tell them the truth that I don't carry it underH2O with me but it is in the car with my O2 bottle.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#9 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

What's a pocket mask? I guess you will teach me that when I get in your rescue class.

Yes, please explain what it is and how it's used. We love to learn from the SD gurus!
Posted Image

#10 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:53 PM

A pocket mask is used to seal in the mouth and nose and direct rescue breaths to the lungs where it is needed.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#11 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:09 PM

The pocket mask creates a better seal than mouth-to-mouth. It also helps to prevent disease transmission in case the victim vomits or spits up blood during recessitation. It can also be used by one person. You position yourself at the head of the victim and place your hands under the jaw and on the mask. This allows you to open up the airway of a victim and gives you a better seal. Also, if the victim has had any neck or back injuries, this is the proper way to open up the airway.

If you are really interested I would suggest taking an EFR course (Emergency First Response). Most people take it in conjunction with rescue, but anyone can take it. I think it is great knowledge for anyone to have. You never know where an emergency could pop up: at the office, running errands. Hopefully I never need to, but it's nice to know that I could save a person's life if the situation arose.

#12 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 24 September 2008 - 03:12 PM

A pocket mask is used to seal in the mouth and nose and direct rescue breaths to the lungs where it is needed.

It is so you do not have to actually put YOUR mouth on the individual you are providing rescue breaths for. More sanitary. Just like what we use for anesthesia when you are getting put to sleep or getting "bagged" breathing from. You also can provide O2 with many. Otherwise it's so you don't have to touch the victim on the mouth. Yuck.

#13 NJBerserker

NJBerserker

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver/ Nitrox/ DAN DEMP/ TDI Dive Medic
  • Logged Dives:~75

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:03 PM

I do not carry the pocket mask underwater. I do not even own one. If someone needs rescue breathing, I will give it to them. God knows I've lip-locked with much worse in a whiskey induced haze at one of my fraternity parties. LOL. All kidding aside it is hard to use the pocket mask in the water. Especially when trying to simultaneously tow, remove gear from, and rescue breathe for the victim at the same time. For those who haven't taken rescue, yes you actually have to do that. Thus I have made a personal choice to reduce task loading and extra gear as much as possible and just take the hit. Out of the water however they can be awesome and their help in the delivery of O2 is sweet. I just can't imagine ever thinking "Hey you're unresponsive and not breathing! Hold on without oxygen a little more while I find and deploy my pocket mask in these lovely swells!" But to each their own.
Proud Member of the Cooper River "A-Team"

#14 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

I'm basically with NJB, but obviously I keep one in each of my oxygen kits, on the boat when that's what we're diving from. I've never had to use mask or kit, but I suppose there may come a first time. I never carry one underwater, nor would I.

#15 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:21 PM

:cheerleader: for the quick lesson! It appears that a CPR refresher class is in order -- the world has certainly changed since my original CPR training.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users