• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

A question for Rescue divers...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: The Pocket Mask (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you carry the pocket mask with you when diving?

1. Yes (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No (11 votes [91.67%])

Percentage of vote: 91.67%

3. Sometimes (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

If you don't have it with you, is it near by (i.e. in the car or on the boat)?

1. Yes (6 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. No (5 votes [41.67%])

Percentage of vote: 41.67%

3. Sometimes (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

Do you bring a pocket mask with you when travelling?

1. Yes (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. No (6 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Sometimes (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:27 PM

I don't carry a pocket mask underwater either.

I'd much rather carry a slate in one of my pockets so if I have an emergency underwater, I can write a message to the boat crew, blow a bag with the slate attached and bring the victim up to the safety stop. Hopefully, by the time we get there, the boat has sent down one of their crew to assist and I can still do my stop.

#17 Quero

Quero

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor--I mostly dive where I live and work--SE Asia.
  • Logged Dives:Well, as an instructor, that number is very high, but counting strictly fun dives (pretty much all dives are fun, but I mean ones for which I'm not working), about 750.

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

No, I don't carry the pocket mask around either, and like pir8 I teach Rescue regularly. (TexasStarFish--get used to students asking that question!) I have a pocket mask with my portable emergency O2 kit, and I take that along for every shore dive. The boats I use here all have the big emergency O2 tanks and masks on board.

Unlike NJBerserker, I find using the mask for in-water rescue breathing easier than standard mouth-to-mouth. I think it's the above the head position for the tow/gear removal/head tilt that makes it more comfortable for me.

Even so, like peterbj7, I have never had occasion to perform rescue breathing in the water for an actual rescue, and I don't envision ever routinely carrying a pocket mask on every dive unless I'm required to by some regulation or employer dictate. If the need for rescue breathing should arise, I'll just do mouth-to-mouth, and forget the "yuck" factor!
Come dive with me in Thailand!

#18 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:11 PM

:thankyou: for the quick lesson! It appears that a CPR refresher class is in order -- the world has certainly changed since my original CPR training.

Yes it certainly had when I took mine in May, and its even changed since then. It continues to evolve over time as they try and simplify the process yet make it more effective at the same time. AEDs certainly weren't as common as they are now.

My shop integrates EFR with the DEMP classes so you get more in depth with O2 and AEDs. Its a nice combo.

#19 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:02 AM

I have one in my medic bag(and a few other pieces), but i dont carry it int the water because to get a good seal(along with a few other things) you need both hands and thats two hands i dont have in water to deal with something, when the person needs to be removed from the water.

Now out of the water that is the only way i would go except for maybe those onetime keychain based barriers.

Got to run.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#20 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2008 - 08:55 AM

I'm even up for my EFR course in January and since the last time I took it chest compressions went from 15x to 30x. Just makes you want to make sure there is an AED around and you know how to use it even more.

No one has mentioned anything about travelling. Does anyone pack a pocket mask with you or do you leave that up to the resort, boat, or whatever you may be diving from?

:thankyou:

#21 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:20 AM

TS

In the bottom of my dive bag in a triple sealed ziploc I have a mask, 6 pair of gloves, a set of airway adjunts (spacers) and wipes. In most cases thats all i need for basics when im off duty. I know that the resort may have one but not all do and not all are in workable shape.

Also a big FYI on AEDs if you put somone and it doesnt advise a shock it doesnt mean its not working (unlike a well publisied event on a airplane not to long ago, where the crew was also said to be using empty oxygen cylinders as well) AEDs are only designed to shock certain rythems, it will not shock everything because shocking a hear that doesnt needed it will cause a lethal rythem or just flat line them. Not trying to hijack just that alot of people give AEDs a bad rap when they do what they need to when its needed but not till then. If you want to see a situation where everyone gets lit up like a christmas tree go watch a soap opera or a movie.

now back to your regularly scheduled thread

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#22 diveprn

diveprn

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Board Status:returning
  • Cert Level:Adv,Rescue,Nitrox,
  • Logged Dives:252

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:06 PM

I am teaching my first rescue class as a PADI instructor and my student asked me an interesting question: Do you dive with your pocket mask? I honestly answered, no. Then I thought about all the training I've been through and how the pocket mask is the best method to give rescue breaths in the water.

I'd be interested to see how Rescue divers answer this question. I never really thought about it until last night and after all my training I should know better.

:thankyou:

Well, using it on board is one thing, but wasting time trying to get it out to use in the water is another.
Valerie
Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

#23 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 25 September 2008 - 01:23 PM

Well, using it on board is one thing, but wasting time trying to get it out to use in the water is another.

I find many divers in this area putting a mouth mask in a pocket (drysuit or BC) without a case. I peronsally look at a case as a one-time use anyway since it will likely be lost when opened and tossed aside. Some choose to put the mask in a ziplock, others not. Some choose to retain the filter portion, others not. The mask is also readied in advance by tying knots in the elastic strands (they don't come this way for "ease" of adjustment, but that is not feasible in-water).

I find many divers use the opportunity of Rescue class to determine how best to pack their masks on their person for future diving because it is in class you figure out how fumbling with a case is not easy with gloves. You may also figure out that pocket you thought it would be perfect to house the mask may not actually be acessible to you when your gear is on (this is the case for some BC pockets). I knew a DM who when leading trips in warm water would simply drop his mouth mask down into his wetsuit at his chest every dive. It was simple and easy to access quickly, either for himself or if someone needed to access it for use on him.

For rescues where the diver leaves the surface for an in-water rescue, a recommendation is to have the mask readied by taking it out of its case (if any) and pulled up the left arm (if right handed) through the elastic band. The mask is then better protected from loss during entry, hands are free, and then when donning it on a diver you simply slide the mask down the left arm directly over the diver's head securing the band around the head and the mask onto the face.

I think it reads like more divers may carry mask in my area because we have more useable pockets (drysuits) and we dive in random places where shore support or supplies are unlikely.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#24 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:51 PM

When I took my rescue course, one of the first things I wondered about was the likelihood that I would actually carry one of these masks while diving. I suppose if you want to be 100% rescue ready you will always carry one, but, I don’t.

My rationale for not carrying one in the water is this: it would take me considerably longer to deploy from a pocket or anyplace that I would likely carry it than just administering rescue breaths the old fashioned way. I truly think that 99 times out of 100, even if I had one on me I would opt not to use it.

On a little broader note, probably the best and worst thing about rescue techniques is that we almost never get a chance to practice them in real life. In that respect, it’s very different than other diving skills, which we use on almost every dive.

Next year, my dive plans at my local quarry are going to be different. Instead of just puttering around on the same old sites as usual, I’m going to plan more dives with repeated execution of the type of activities that FinGrabber was describing in her post. As everybody knows, doing things under water is a lot more difficult than thinking about them on the surface, and practice is the only way to be able to do it fast enough to be effective. Hopefully, I will be able to find some buddies who share my interests.

Edited by BubbleBoy, 26 September 2008 - 04:56 AM.

BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users