• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

American announces ALA Carte pricing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:33 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2...g.ap/index.html

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 October 2008 - 09:56 AM

great what are they trying to do make airfares calcs more complicated then the US Tax code? (rhetorical question dont answer that)

This has been discussed on several other travel boards for close to 18 months and still hasnt been implemented. I personally dont see it happening as customers see it as another means of nickel and diming customers (ala UA, and US). Then there is the IT problem that is going to be hard to over come as several airlines systems are ancient and a change over like this would be a massive (read = expensive) undertaking to get done.

Furthermore this unbundling of fees so far hasnt resulted in lower fares, it has actually caused the total price to go up. Im noticing from my personal travel that fares are up the better part of 20% plus or minus 10% from where they where just a year ago. Now some of the new nickel and ime fees havent effected me due to status, but they have my family, which is why now i make the travel arrangements under my status so they dont get tagged for the fees. I still think that fees are stupid and i equate them to the bailout money that is being given because of poor planning and wasteful spending and not the reason they are touting them for

I wish that the US government wold do what the EU is implementing that the airfare has to be a ALL-IN fare with no extra strings/ fees etc, and if not there are financial penalties for doing so, that and the compensation rules for delays. This teaser thing isnt nice when what you thought was a deal comes out to be more expensive then the non-special airfares.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:49 AM

Did I not read that oil closed at $88 dollars a barrel yesterday!! :thankyou:
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#4 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:30 AM

Did I not read that oil closed at $88 dollars a barrel yesterday!! :thankyou:

Sure did..As prices continue to drop, my company is looking at layoffs. Not that anyone feels sorry for a small oil and gas company :wavey:

The sad part is that we are also cutting our capital program, which means less American oil out of the ground next year.

The charge I ran into yesterday when I rescheduled my flight is that they have increased the change fee to $150.

#5 Dancerdog

Dancerdog

Getting started

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:39

Posted 07 October 2008 - 07:46 AM

Did I not read that oil closed at $88 dollars a barrel yesterday!! :unsure:

Sure did..As prices continue to drop, my company is looking at layoffs. Not that anyone feels sorry for a small oil and gas company :)

The sad part is that we are also cutting our capital program, which means less American oil out of the ground next year.

The charge I ran into yesterday when I rescheduled my flight is that they have increased the change fee to $150.

Did anyone see Leno last night on this topic? Example on American Airlines: base fare from Dallas to San Diego is $200. If you want to arrive safely, it costs another $150. If you want wings on the aircraft...etc. Would be funny if it didn't sound so close to the truth!

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:08 AM

How much were they proposing to charge for one of those oh-so-comfortable airplane seats? Maybe I'll have to stand on my short flights and hold on like you do on the subway or bus.

#7 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

The "All-in" price for flights would work best. No surprises. If you like it you pay, if not you don't. Would make cost comparisons to other airlines easier too.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#8 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 07 October 2008 - 08:22 AM

How much were they proposing to charge for one of those oh-so-comfortable airplane seats? Maybe I'll have to stand on my short flights and hold on like you do on the subway or bus.

:unsure: :) :birthday:
Posted Image

#9 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:17 AM

The next time I book an airline seat, I'll remember to ask if it has pedals.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#10 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 07 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

What, you mean as in this?

The airlines have come up with a new answer to an old question: How many passengers can be squeezed into economy class?

A lot more, it turns out, especially if an idea still in the early stage should catch on: standing-room-only "seats."

Airbus has been quietly pitching the standing-room-only option to Asian carriers, though none have agreed to it yet. Passengers in the standing section would be propped against a padded backboard, held in place with a harness, according to experts who have seen a proposal.

#11 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

Well the latest on this is CEO of Ryan Air discussing going to pay toilets on his planes..

http://news.yahoo.co...air_pay_toilets

#12 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

In more positive news, US Airways has backed away from its policy of charging $2 for non-alcoholic beverages in coach. I think they were expecting the rest of the industry to follow suit like everyone followed the leader with charging for checked bags, and as far as I know, no one did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users