• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SingleDivers.com Named Official...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,703 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 04 August 2004 - 07:32 AM

Kim,

I believe Laura participates in something quite similar, but SCUBA related, to raise money to fight diabetes every year. We can certainly organize our own events. Perhaps a SCUBA relay event?

Funny you should mention that...I've been speaking with the gentleman TSSPLASH and also a member of our board who will be attempting the world's record for the longest dive...106 hours and we have an opportunity to help him by supporting a diving related kid charity if there is one. We can collect donations based upon how many hours he stays underwater and the proceeds will go to either DAN research or a childrens diving charity...he thinks there is one that helps underpriviledged youths learn to dive in the DC area. Anyway...I think it is an excellent idea and would love to know what others think as well. (We would be in some awesome company with corporate sponsors such as Ocean Reef, DAN, Whites Dry Suits, Cochran, CamelBacks, etc.)

Anyone else think this is a cool idea? -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 04 August 2004 - 07:37 AM

I think it's an excellent idea!

We'll need some details and pledge sheets (we can print our own in this computer age). When will it take place? How long is he expecting to stay down? What exactly is the charity? As soon as we have those details, we can start looking for donations.

In the mean time, we can skip lunch and send our lunch money to help Kenny.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 04 August 2004 - 07:51 AM

I think it's a great idea, too

when you have more details, let me know!!

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,703 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 09:34 AM

Ok here is what I know. The charity is being decided right now. We have the opportunity to be the only organization to sponsor this charity by collecting donations based upon how long he lasts in his World Record Attempt. The record is 70 hours set in 2002. His attempt is going to be for 100 hours plus.

We can accept straight donations or donations based upon a certain $ per hour that he succeeds in his attempt. This way regardless of whether he breaks the record or not...monies will be raised for a worthy cause.

We can do this entirely inhouse or we can spread the word to local dive shops and dive clubs around the country etc. (Maybe we can have a link on the homepage where people can make their donations online or via paypal or some other 3rd party mechanism to aid in the collection of the funds.)

Let me know your suggestions...kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,703 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:12 PM

Ok here is what I know. The charity is being decided right now. We have the opportunity to be the only organization to sponsor this charity by collecting donations based upon how long he lasts in his World Record Attempt. The record is 70 hours set in 2002. His attempt is going to be for 100 hours plus.

We can accept straight donations or donations based upon a certain $ per hour that he succeeds in his attempt. This way regardless of whether he breaks the record or not...monies will be raised for a worthy cause.

Thank you all for your help! Kamala aka The Wench
We can do this entirely inhouse or we can spread the word to local dive shops and dive clubs around the country etc. (Maybe we can have a link on the homepage where people can make their donations online or via paypal or some other 3rd party mechanism to aid in the collection of the funds.)

Let me know your suggestions...kamala

Hey gang....the charity has been chosen for the world record attempt at the longest dive...100+ continuous hours!

Since the dives are being done for medical and scientific research...TSSplash's team has decided to support the organization KNOWN for medical and scientific research...Divers Alert Network.

TSSplash has also asked Single Divers to be its official Fund Raiser and we'll be added to a very prestigious list of corporate sponsors including White's Dry Suits, Cochran, Ocean Reef, etc.

We are working out the details with DAN as we speak and will have full details posted later today or tomorrow. ZD has graciously volunteered to set up a direct link from the main page of SingleDivers.com so that people can click, read, and donate right online.

In addition to our own members...the team has asked us to spread the word to Dive Clubs, Dive Shops etc and let them help participate in this great opportunity to raise awareness and funds for something as vitally important as DAN Diving Research. (Note that SingleDivers.com was chosen by Cochran to be the first group of Recreational Divers to use the new computers that have the extensive new DAN research collection software in it!) This is a subject near and dear to the hearts of many at SD.com and we hope you'll help us spread the word...spread the fundraising attempts and spread the well wishes and success for one our own members...Tony aka TSSplash!

formerly...

#6 tssplash

tssplash

Getting started

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Cert Level:Experienced

Posted 19 August 2004 - 05:43 PM

The guy in the tank on the post Jextract has posted is doing a different record. His record is "World's Longest dive in a controlled environment". The dive we are doing is in open water. The current Guinness Record for this dive is 71 hours, 39 minutes, and 40 seconds held by Jerry Hall. (U.S.) The tank diving has a much longer record time because the water temperature, etc...is controlled. We decided to do this project in a more realistic environment in order to gain more realistic scientific data.

The unseasonably cool temperatures are causing our water temperatures in this area to begin to plummet. We planned this dive for this time of the year because this is the time that the water is "usually" the warmest, and to avoid risks of hypothermia into the later hours of this dive. These record low temps that we are experiencing are forcing us to explore other options. We've also had some problems getting our custom-made equipment from our International sponsors on time for the test dives, along with a couple of other "forseen" issues. These setbacks have been planned for, and other options are in the works. You can expect a delay of this dive. I cannot go into alot of detail but it's safe to say at this point that you can expect to have more time for the fundraising for DAN research effort.

All the equipment that has been specifically designed, and fabricated for this dive is now in. All the other equipment has been received as well. We are seeking a facility that will better suit the changing conditions of this dive. More updates to follow.

Thank you for your support.

tssplash :thankyou:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users