• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hello all! New Member

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Enlee

Enlee

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:11 PM

Hello!
I heard about this site on Scuba Radio which I listen to via the internet. I think this is a great idea since I have tried to get virtually eveyone I know to get certified and go on dive trips with me. No luck. I have only been certified for about a year. I was originally just like all other newbies and often wondered how I would react if I ever saw the all-dreaded SHARK! Now that I have been in the water - I would love to see one! So far I have had the good fortune to go to San Carlos and play with the sealions and watch hunting moray eels during a night dive. The dive shop where I was certified arranged the trip. When I was younger (about 12) our family went on a vacation to Bermuda and I was in the water snorkeling all the time. Can't believe I waited so long to get certified!
Goals (so far):
-I want to go to Truk Atol and explore the wrecks
-Want to check out the kelp forests at San Clemente (this is more likely to happen in near future years than Truk....
I will be going to Belize in September (same dive shop) and am looking forward to diving into the depths of the Big Blue hole and checking out all the neat dive spots off of Amergris Caye. As far as the Blue hole is concerned - I hear it can be "dissappointing" in that you may not see anything.. but I still think it would be absolutely fascinating to dive deep into it and just see the stalactites and the beginning of the cave - if hammerheads are there, all the better! Anyone have any stories about Belize?
I hear Belize city can be somewhat dangerous and I will be doing my touristy stuff by myself when not diving with the others in my group (which are all MARRIED couples - so I will have to bug the divemaster).
Also I currently do not have a dive computer (I am Nitrox certified) or a regulator. Any suggestions?
I will work on getting some photos posted (my dive pictures - well, they are a work in progress as far as skill.......)
Well it's great to have found this site and good diving to you all!
Peggy

#2 sapphire

sapphire

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:22 PM

Hi Peggy!

:cool2: to singledivers! There are a bunch of nice people here, and I am sure you will find some to go diving with. I would join you at San Clemente Island (it is beautiful there) but I am a WWW (warm water weenie) at heart!

Welcome!

Jennifer

#3 wrinkles

wrinkles

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:27 PM

Welcome to the board. I’m glad you found us. :) This is the place to dive with other singles…you won’t have to beg someone to come dive with you. :pray:

I have been certified for a year now as well. :cool2: San Clemente is a great place to dive. Lots too see. You will enjoy it I am sure. As far as Belize goes I have no clue but I am SURE others on the board do. SO far I have yet to dive in warm water. :-D

As far as regulators go I have a Scubapro and love it and for my dive computer I have a SmartCom UWATEC. There is a thread here on the board about which gear people own. It will give you a sense of what others here have.

Whenever you start something new it is a work in progress. And as far as diving and photography goes there is always something to learn so it will always be a work in progress. :diver:

Ana

#4 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 29 March 2004 - 11:46 PM

:cool2: to the board!

Belieze is one of the destinations I dream about, you'll have to tell us all about your trip when you're back. Remember that cavern and cave diving can be extremely dangerous without extra training.

I'm sure some of the lovely SoCal girls will be willing to show you around the kelp beds anytime. If they have anything to do with it, I might be available for SoCal tour guide duties too... :diver: :) :fish: :pray: :-D

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 March 2004 - 12:26 AM

WOW!!! Welcome to SingleDivers.com...it sounds like we are just what you needed to fix your diving blues!!! :pray:

If you are interested in wrecks...you'll have to talk to me....that's how I got my name 'Wreck Wench'!!! I love diving the awesome shipwrecks off the NC coast and in fact we have several singles trips lined up to do North Carolina as the price is relatively inexpensive especially compared to Truk or other wreck destinations. :cool2:

It sounds like you have a full diving agenda already this year...I hope you still have a few days of vacation left over and a few dollars as well so that you can join us on a great trip!! Just choose anyone...they are all awesome!!! :-D

And by the way....I'm really excited you found us via ScubaRadio!!! I was really nervous about that interview....but we've gotten a number of people from the show to sign up so far!!! :diver:

Welcome and don't hesitate to ask ANYTHING about diving...gear...whatever!!! :)

-Wreck Wench

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:12 AM

Hi Peggy!

Welcome to our home. I'm looking forward to learning more about you. Truk is a place I'd love to go as well. I do love wrecks. I hope you stay active and enjoy your diving as well as your surface interval.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 30 March 2004 - 06:16 AM

Hi Peggy,

:cool1: to Singledivers!

#8 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:13 AM

:cool1: Welcome to the board! Keep us posted on your upcoming adventures....some of us have to dive vicariously!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#9 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:32 AM

Hi there!!

Welcome to the Board. :cool1:

I hope you'll post a trip report of your upcoming diving adventures!

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#10 warren_l

warren_l

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:800+

Posted 30 March 2004 - 07:44 AM

Hi Peggy and welcome! I'm sure you'll find us a wonderful group of divers here.

Warren

#11 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 30 March 2004 - 09:23 AM

Hi Peggy!
Welcome to SD.com
Your part of the western invasion! first it was the canadians then the floridians
now the westcoastale's! where is it going to end ? hopefuly never :cool1:
I'm an Old valley boy myself and I miss parts of CA.

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#12 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 30 March 2004 - 09:26 AM

Hi Peggy, :cool1: to Single Divers.com.. glad to hear you found the place, we have a lot of fun around here and all love to dive. Hope to see you on a trip one day..

#13 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 30 March 2004 - 10:51 AM

:sweetie: Peggy...glad you stopped by and hope that you will call this home. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here that are ready and willing to help in anyway, all you have to is ask.

Don't forget to take a look at our website at SingleDivers.com. We are constantly upgrading and would love to see you on one of our upcoming trips.

Again, welcome to our little place on the net.

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#14 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 30 March 2004 - 11:10 AM

Welcome, Peggy!

I have been to the Blue Hole. It was somewhat of a disappointment to me. That is only because I'm a critter person, not a geology person. The coral formations in the blue hole are pretty awesome but it is quite barren of animals.

They told us that we would feel as if we wanted to keep descending.

I didn't feel that way but my dive buddy did. I had to go after him and make him ascend!!!

But I really enjoyed the trip out. We stopped along the way for some dives.

Have a good time but do be careful in Belize city. I take it you guys are not staying on an outer caye?

-becky

#15 Enlee

Enlee

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:35

Posted 30 March 2004 - 01:25 PM

I hope I am responding correctly---

Our group will be staying on Ambergris Caye and I have been reading my Lonely Planet travel guide trying to get an idea what to do on the off day. (I am not going until prime hurricane time - Sept.) Seems like Crooked Tree, Alta Hun, and the Baboon Sactuary would be a good trip but they are on the mainland. Trips by plane or boat seem relatively cheap - but I think I would end up in Belize City for a bit at least on my way...

Retrieve your friend from the depths, eh? Hmmm! Well as far as critters go, since I am still a relative newbie - I am sure I will entertain myself with my imagination as I look into the mouth of the cave and at the stalactites. Somebody earlier mentioned to be careful with caves - I sure will not be going into any not previously explored and without a guide, since I hear you can kick up silt and reduce your viz to zip. Not my idea of a good time at all!

oh - my guide book says sometimes they chum the water to attract sharks.. Did they do that with you guys?
Later I have to read thru all this site for all the good info.!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users