• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Why does SingleDivers.com CHARGE for premium membership?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,616 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

Hello again. Are you planning to sign up for premiere membership? Conveniently enough for SD, it's the only feasible way to exchange phone numbers or email addresses.

To all our new members...

Yes we take a great deal of pride in protecting your identity on this site. Given the name you can imagine the chaos that would ensue if we had open pm priviledges and your profiles were viewable to everyone.

1. Most would think it was a dating site and we are NOT...however chemistry has been known to happen and that is not our fault. And if it doesn't happen...it is DEFINITELY not our fault. :teeth:

2. Many would think that everyone on the site was here for one and only one reason and therefore should welcome a slew of unwanted and unwarranted and perhaps unscrupulous barrage of messages to HOOK UP. Here our HookUps are to TANKS!!! :cool1:

3. We would have a very small number of quality people on this site if we did not protect their privacy and their identity which we do several ways... :cool2:

a. No real names on the site...only a first name and a screen name
b. No real location on the site...(if you list your snail mail addy in your profile ONLY THE ADMINS can see them which include me and our accountant etc.) If you say Dallas or some other city... that is a very big area so pretty generic and therefore safe.
c. No way to see a profile unless you are a premier member. This limits the people scoping you out to those who wish to belong to this community and are willing to invest something to do so. And trust me...spammers, predators and perverts rarely give out their financial information so its a pretty safe bet it is one of the prime reasons that we've had ZERO complaints about spammers, predators and perverts since instituting the premium membership level for pm and profile access.
d. No emails, addresses or phone numbers in posts, signatures, and profiles allowed to protect from the same reasons as above and to also prevent web spyders/crawlers from obtaining your info and increasing the proliferation of spam.

4. While we do generate $35 per member per year for the priviledge of being a premier member we give $25 of it back as a rebate after EVERY trip you do with us during the year, as well as on ANY private travel you book via us, thru deep discounts and perks available to only our premier members from companies such as Cochran, Deep Sea Supply, Dive Rite, OMS, Diversitea and others. And our premier members get first dibs on booking our trips...many of which fill up before they open up to the general membership a week later. We also send you a pretty extensive membership package full of goodies and so the real purpose is NOT to make a killing off our members...it is to protect them as well as serve them in as many ways as we can.

I hope this helps you understand why we have kept our site a bit more exclusive and certainly as safe as we can. In this world you get what you pay for and you get a whole lot more than you bargained for when you don't pay for anything...you'll also notice that this site has NO ADVERTISING.

Some may miss the pop up ads and the banners for this that and everything...but most of our members love the fact that we are advertising free. As a result we forego a huge amount of revenue from that advertising that is offset by the few bucks we take in for memberships and don't spend on stuff we give away or give back.

So I hope you feel a bit better knowing the membership fee is not just so you can connect with a dive buddy but it keeps the entire site safer, more fun and easier to protect.

I wish we could generate a sufficient income stream to reward the countless volunteers needed to keep a site like this running. However, I think because they are NOT paid...they do it because they believe in the site and enjoy the friendships they've made... that they do it to be involved with great people like our members! :( -ww
  • Dive_a_Bar likes this

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 addster

addster

Getting started

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Navy Scuba, diving 45+ yrs.
  • Logged Dives:100+ Logged, Unknown others 300+?? pre-certification and pre-logbook

Posted 15 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

Just getting acquainted with the site - I'm really trying to find out to get approval to post a trip to Brac I'm taking next month. Kinda short notice, but I'm booked to Brac Reef and would like a dive buddy to avoid the dreaded single supplement. I wanted to find the link to the Comments post.
Thanks, John

#3 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:45 AM

Hi John! Since this is a dive travel business with a club atmosphere, there are 2 main types of trips that are allowed to be posted on SD.com: 1) the trips that are run by SD.com, and 2) the trips that are booked through SD.com travel services for our members.

If your trip to Cayman Brac is booked for you by SD.com, then it can be posted on our board, asking our membership if anyone wants to come along with you. Some exceptions are made if SD can book the 'buddy' spot you are looking to have join you. And yes some of our members can do short-notice trips!

All requests should be sent to kamala@singledivers.com for assistance.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users