• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

This will scare you to death

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 DiveScoop

DiveScoop

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 11 May 2004 - 01:48 PM

Open Water Movie Trailer

Here is a link to a new movie that is supposed to open in August. It's called OPEN WATER and involves a diving couple and a very uncommon situation. Once you check out the trailer link. I think you'll understand why this movie has the potential to do some serious damage to the sport.

This movie WILL be coming out, so there is no sense in trying to "protest" or anything like that. However, if you hear anyone talking about the film, you can tell people that it's Hollywood and that dive boats have very strict safety features so divers are typically NOT left out in the open ocean to be eaten by sharks.

I anticipate this movie will get a lot of attention. Informed divers will understand that it's all entertainment. However, the less educated might think the scenario in the movie is "normal". It's up to us to set them straight.

Scoop
Dive Scoop

#2 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:01 PM

Open Water Movie Trailer

One point of clarification. This event that they are depicting in the movie is based on what happened in Australia about 4 (I think) years ago. That said, I totally agree that people will get the wrong idea of what happens on a dive boat.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#3 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:21 PM

Anybody want to buy some used dive gear? After seeing this there may be a dump of used stuff on the market. I like how they say "based on actual events". They have no idea what happened after the boat left. We are in for lots of questions by new divers and prospective divers who will have misconceptions about the sport.

SD
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:22 PM

I thought it was based on the lawyer and his wife who were left behind on the first dive off Key Largo and spent the night on a light tower.
The shop missed so many clues that they were missing divers, gear still on the boat, two unused tanks, another boat picked up her rental BC that had been clipped to the base of the tower and returned it to the shop and no one slept in their beds that night. They were staying at Kelly's which is attached to the dive op.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 SuperDave

SuperDave

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:31 PM

"The issue of divers being left behind by dive boats came to widespread public attention in January 1998 when two US divers, Eileen and Tom Lonergan, were believed to have been left behind at St. Crispin's Reef on the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. The disappearance was only realised when the dive centre found the Lonergan's belongings in a dive locker several days later."

SD
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#6 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:35 PM

"The issue of divers being left behind by dive boats came to widespread public attention in January 1998 when two US divers, Eileen and Tom Lonergan, were believed to have been left behind at St. Crispin's Reef on the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. The disappearance was only realised when the dive centre found the Lonergan's belongings in a dive locker several days later."

That was the one I was thinking of and couldn't remember how long ago it happened. I was in Austraila shortly after that occurred and there was a lot of speculation as to what really happened and why. Some thought it was a suicide. It's hard to tell.

Anybody want to buy some used dive gear?

Let's hope. I'm always looking for a deal ;-)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

- Rush (The Trees)

#7 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:36 PM

I thought it was based on the lawyer and his wife who were left behind on the first dive off Key Largo and spent the night on a light tower.
The shop missed so many clues that they were missing divers, gear still on the boat, two unused tanks, another boat picked up her rental BC that had been clipped to the base of the tower and returned it to the shop and no one slept in their beds that night. They were staying at Kelly's which is attached to the dive op.

HOLY CRAP! :o I didn't know Kelly's was involved in anything like this. Up to this point I've been a very satisfied repeat customer of theirs...I'm really bummed to hear it was them!

This hits a little too close to home for me.

Laura

Edited by Laura, 11 May 2004 - 02:38 PM.

WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#8 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 11 May 2004 - 02:48 PM

Then again ... more room on the dive boats for us!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#9 ColoradoPilot

ColoradoPilot

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Logged Dives:>300

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:00 PM

Won't keep me from diving. Want to know what scares me?

PS, since I do not always use smileys, remember that I do have a sense of humor, warped at times perhaps, but still I have one.

Edited by ColoradoPilot, 11 May 2004 - 03:01 PM.

#10 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:06 PM

Won't keep me from diving. Want to know what scares me?

Kathy Bates, naked in the hot tub in "About Schmidt" ... didn't sleep for a week!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#11 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:08 PM

OMG!!!!!!!!! :o :taz:

That's going to scare the heck out of anyone wanting to pursue the sport and anyone who goes onto an unfamilar dive boat on vacation!!! Heck it scared me, but I'll probably have to see the movie... and it's certainly not going to stop me from diving.

Dejah

#12 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:14 PM

Won't keep me from diving.  Want to know what scares me?

Kathy Bates, naked in the hot tub in "About Schmidt" ... didn't sleep for a week!

I second that!!! :o
- Albert Einstein

- Rush (The Trees)

#13 DiveScoop

DiveScoop

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:19 PM

Won't keep me from diving.  Want to know what scares me?

I second that!!! :o

Now we're REALLY talking about scary stuff.

There's talk of some preview showings of the movie for the media. If I go, I will let you all know what I saw. Not expecting too much!

Scoop
Dive Scoop

#14 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:26 PM

Want to know what scares me?

"Only two things scare me, and one of them is nuclear war"

"What's the other thing?"

"Excuse me?"

"What's the other thing that scares you?

"Carnies...circus folk... smell like cabbage....small hands"

(as spoken by Austin Powers)

:o
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#15 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 11 May 2004 - 04:18 PM

Well dang....for some reason it would not load and run on my pc.
Anyone care to give me the jist of what it was about? I gather it
dealt with someone being left behind from the other replies?? I have
been on some dive boats where I WISH I were left behind !!
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users