• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

YOUR Diving and other ACCOMPLISHMENTS in 2008

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:33 PM

So did I mention we PAY DM's to work for us? :thankyou:

Yes - I knew that. Ready when you are. Actually, I think I've made more from SD than any other source. On my taxes, I do get to show my waived entry fees at Clear Springs and Athens as income, but real money in the pocket - it's all yours babe - thanks!!!!
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#17 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 December 2008 - 08:42 PM

I managed to somehow do more than 100 dives this year. I think I was maybe out of the water about 12 weekends give or take. I'm still playing at Divemaster. My diving goal in 2009 is to make one trip at least out of the state, perferably out of the country :teeth:

WOW! 100+ Dives....that is amazing! :thankyou:

So where do you want to go....Fiji? Belize? Bali & Wakatobi? Roatan? Cozumel? St Croix? Dry Tortugas (ok so that is in the US); Mona Island? :teeth:

I keep looking, I haven't made up my mind yet. Plus I am such a last minute person due to my employment. But I keep looking and planning......

#18 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 28 December 2008 - 07:52 AM

2008 was one of my "poorest" dive years... I think I only did about 125 dives vs my usual 300 or so. I didn't take a single dive trip either. The "free" time was spent editing some of my 8 years of archived video footage. During the year I created 15 episodes of a proposed half hour cable TV show "Munching and Mating in the Macrocystis" (which I'll start marketing to cable networks in 2009). I created 6 new DVD's, some using the cable TV show episodes. Had some good projects for clients.

2009 I plan to do some more dive travel... Red Sea, Cocos, the Galapagos and the Philippines are all on the "calendar." Plan to keep my dive numbers down and my editing time up in the hopes that I can finally make enough money to actually pay my bills! Oh, and next year will see me in a brand new 7mm wetsuit for the first time in years! It's just too darned cold in my "holy" wetsuit for winter diving in SoCal.

Edited by drbill, 28 December 2008 - 07:53 AM.

#19 diverLynne

diverLynne

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:120+

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

I dove the cenotes on Mexico and got in several dives in Bonaire, in spite of the fact that Hurricane Omar showed up mid-week! And I got paid as a DM to teach 5 EFR classes - way cool! Gotta dive more in 2009! Lynne

#20 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

Wow, 2008 was a strange year. I only went on 2 dive trips: 2 weeks in Bonaire in April, and then I found SD.com and went on the Roatan Singles Week trip over Labor Day. I managed a total of 49 dives in 2008, and had dive #100 with Kamala as my dive buddy. :birthday:

After much late night discussion with my roomie Kamala, I started my AOW classes this Fall, and will be ready to check them out in Fiji and/or Bonaire. I got Navigation & Nitrox done already, and have the Deep class and Dive Computer class in January. I'm hoping to get the Stress & Rescue class done in Summer '09 after I get back from the Bonaire trip in June.

Finding SD, and all the great members who helped me stay centered during personal upheaval this summer, was truly a blessing. :) Looking forward to 50+ dives in 2009 with my new dive buddies!
Posted Image

#21 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 10:58 PM

2008 started out with a trip to the Philippines and ended with my first liveaboard ever in the Bahamas! In between was a trip to Florida where I completed my AOW.

2009 starts out with a 5 week trip back to the Philippines! Assuming all goes well, Mexico and Florida will follow...

#22 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

2008 Awesome Dive year! . Lot’s of great dives with dive buddies from SD.com & LDS.

Personal best of 114 dives in ’09. - all warm water.

Curacao - LDS- Sunset Waters Resort- Sunset Divers
Grand Cayman - PADI TI event- Sunset House Resort (solo) - Sunset Divers - Ocean Frontiers - Dive Tech
Belize - SD.com - Journeys End Resort, Las Terrazas Resort - Aqua Divers- Pro Tech
rsz_Singledivers_Cozumel_Wet_265_czm_1_.jpg
Cozumel - SD.com & solo - Casa del Mar & Safari Inn - Aqua Safari Divers
Roatan - SD.com - Bay Island Beach Resort - Bay Island Divers
IMGP0238zipline_1_.JPG
ROATAN_SEPT_2008_SINGLEDIVER.boat2COM_135_1_.JPG
ROATAN_SEPT_2008_SINGLEDIVER.COM_252boat_1_.JPG

Pompano Beach - solo - Sunrise Inn - Parrot Island Divers
Bahamas - LDS - Pelican Bay Hotel - Unexso
Grenada - solo - True Blue Bay Resort - Aquanauts Divers

Milestone dive # 400 in Grenada.
Shortest & shallowest dive :07 @ 17’canal dive w/ dolphins became surface swim due to vis & swells.
Longest dive 52’ @ 1:10
Deepest 132’ @ :40
Scariest dive 127’ @ :30, insta-buddy (F) on Mary St. Philip wreck, Pompano Beach

Best Animal encounter: on wall @ 80’ swimming w/ turtle for 90 sec w/ group 35’ above…Roatan

rsz_Singledivers_Cozumel_Wet_416_turtle_1_.jpg
2nd Best Animal encounter: Huge Loggerhead in Cozumel
Worst Animal encounter: stepping on Stone Fish exiting night shore dive ( ER visit, 1 lost dive day)
Best Night on the town: Cozumel Senior Frogs
Best Dinner: Roatan - Pig Roast
Worst Dinner - The one I missed after Stone Fish encounter
Best resort property: Las Terrazas - Belize

New high-end point & shoot w/ strobe and travel bp/w.

Monies spent???……………………….......................................................................
........................................PRICELESS!!!!!

Looking forward to 2009...................................................Until March 2009............................................................................
.............................................snow_snorkle.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!! :wakawaka: :elf: :dance: :2cool: :thankyou: :cheerleader:
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#23 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

Hmmm, I haven't been diving this year at all... BUT....

My biggest accomplishment for 2008: Finally completing my Bachelor Degree in Intelligence Studies after three+ years of full time college!!! At 45!!!

:wakawaka: .............. Posted Image .............. Posted Image .............. Posted Image .............. Posted Image .............. :cheerleader:

I have completely redirected my education and skill sets and reinvented my life. Long ago I was a marketing major, and the Queen of stellar customer service. Now, I am taking my life in a significantly different direction, and that's a pretty profound accomplishment!

The only thing missing tonight, New Years Eve, is a big ol' bottle of champagne just for me. I'll be celebrating soon, in much warmer environs. Posted Image The champagne can wait a bit.....Posted Image

:2cool: .............. Posted Image .............. Posted Image .............. Posted Image .............. Posted Image .............. :thankyou:

Posted Image

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#24 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:35 PM

2008 Awesome Dive year! . Lot’s of great dives with dive buddies from SD.com & LDS.

Looking forward to 2009...................................................Until March 2009............................................................................
.............................................snow_snorkle.jpg

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!!! :wakawaka: :elf: :dance: :2cool: :thankyou: :cheerleader:

Stan, you are stinkin' hilarious! :elf:
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#25 timalso

timalso

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:instructor
  • Logged Dives:350

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:52 PM

I dove at Little Cayman, would go there again in a heart beat. dove Roatan again. Wrnt to North Carolina wreck diving with SD. And in October passed the Padi Instuctors Exam. Quite a few dives dont know how many. When do we get to go back to North Caralina?

#26 weescot

weescot

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 02 January 2009 - 11:02 PM

Highlights of my diving year has been locally diving in Khasab and further afield in Indonesia, including my first SD trip to Wakatobi, which was just amazing. I met some great people and also discovered long island iced tea.....! In terms of certs, I got my Nitrox cert and started (and postponed) my DM training.

Next year's dive plans are still "fluid" but hope to dive off Gabon, on the West coast of Africa (whislt visitng my brother) and PNG. And if I can, fit in another SD trip :-). Plus lots more locally!

Happy diving New Year everyone.
Please credit Avatar to ScubaShafer

#27 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:33 PM

Padi Divemaster Cert. & Cleaned more cooper river gravel and gunk out of my equipment.

Which end is up?

#28 Rocky_B

Rocky_B

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech
  • Logged Dives:110

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:07 PM

Well I guess it goes as follows:

1. After 4 yrs of diving under the watchful eyes of OTWDiver, I finally earned my trimix cert. I didn't get to make it to the Atakulah Lodge but plans are underway for 2009. If memory serves me, I think I will be the oldest to make the dive down to it.
2. First summer as captain of OTWDiver's boat on the lake without dive buddy along. End of 2007 accident ended diving career (not fatal but very bad case of bends and unable to dive again).
3. SD trip to NC for 4th of July.
4. Still have my health, job, and can get out of bed every morning haha.

#29 Scuba_Dad

Scuba_Dad

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Scuba Diver Trainer
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:51 PM

I managed to somehow do more than 100 dives this year. I think I was maybe out of the water about 12 weekends give or take. I'm still playing at Divemaster. My diving goal in 2009 is to make one trip at least out of the state, perferably out of the country :D

With 100 dives.. I'm surprised the only place we crossed paths was at the Happy Hour in WPB. We didn't even dive together that day. Only four of us went out with Pura Vida... the waves looked like mountains and the Sirena tried its skills at being a submarine... Of the four of us that went out, only d_buck and I dove... It wasn't bumpy underwater...

If you ever want to play DM... give me a hollar.
If you're bored diving, then you quit learning...

#30 Monkey Diver

Monkey Diver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1800 + logged, but didn't log first 20 years

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

Let's see. Three plane trips, two road trips to Mexico, and 228 logged dives.
Wayne :-{ )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users